Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Al the news articles on this right now have pretty much the same information, which isn't very informative. It took place locally here, so I'll see if I can dredge up some more on it. Might take a few days though.

It would be nice to know what make & model firearm he was carrying. I'd like to know which guns have an inclination to discharge if dropped from a couple of feet. That would be helpful in knowing what not to buy.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,462 Posts
I think the story he gave the cops is BS. almost no modern handguns go off by dropping to the floor. At max it would've been 2 feet. Pre 80's series Colt 1911's and clones have a possibility to go off if they have a sharp blow just right, causing the firing pin to go forward and set off a round. I've known lots of 1911 carriers and never heard of this actually happening. From my knowledge most situations like this are caused from trying to catch the gun before it hits the ground ala Plaxico Burress.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I think the story he gave the cops is BS. almost no modern handguns go off by dropping to the floor. At max it would've been 2 feet. Pre 80's series Colt 1911's and clones have a possibility to go off if they have a sharp blow just right, causing the firing pin to go forward and set off a round. I've known lots of 1911 carriers and never heard of this actually happening. From my knowledge most situations like this are caused from trying to catch the gun before it hits the ground ala Plaxico Burress.

I agree with the BS story, pretty unlikely. Blaming the gun is just about as common as saying "The Cat Did It". I have seen old M1911 A1 Colts get so worn out they would drop the hammer from the half cocked position, but they had been in service since Korea at least, and calling them an actual firearm was generous, more like a collection of parts that agreed to travel together.

Our armorers did the best they could, but budgets in the 70's military were close to non existent, we made do, and that was about it. Better now though. In a lot of ways the "Good old days" weren't all that good.

·
just wants to watch the world burn.
1,021 Posts
Aren't most movie seats at the back only about a foot off the ground..... negligent discharge!.... lucky some one else didn't pull a gun after the movie theater tragedy.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen old M1911 A1 Colts get so worn out they would drop the hammer from the half cocked position, but they had been in service since Korea at least, and calling them an actual firearm was generous, more like a collection of parts that agreed to travel together.
I like that. A collection of parts that agree to travel together. I would like to know more of this story myself. The only thing that came to mind for me was the old S&W revolvers that had the firing pin attached to the hammer. But there again you're not talking about a modern firearm. I could sooner believe the Plaxico Burress scenario.

·
Hard Work! Dedication!
4,537 Posts
Blackmagic02 said:
I like that. A collection of parts that agree to travel together. I would like to know more of this story myself. The only thing that came to mind for me was the old S&W revolvers that had the firing pin attached to the hammer. But there again you're not talking about a modern firearm. I could sooner believe the Plaxico Burress scenario.
Buress definitely did not shoot himself. Hahaha. Most likely a fight happened and he got shot. What an idiot.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking as I read the article! Seventies Please keep us up to date on what you find out!

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
And this is why I expound on allowing bad safety habits to be exibited on good gun web sites.

capitalcityglock Clumsiness like this makes us all look bad...

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Didn't read the article as saying the guy said that his gun went off because it hit the ground, just that the gun went off because he dropped it. Could be he simply tried to catch it as it fell and caught it with a finger inside the trigger guard, or perhaps it went off while he was picking it up again. Main lesson: don't drop your gun, ever. If you drop it, let it fall, and pick it up after it comes to a full and complete stop.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I seem to recall another recent story about a man shooting himself in the butt in WalMart. New market to explore in body armor, no? Guess along with your weapon and holster you need armored underwear. If you're an idiot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, remember that the LCP had a recall for AD when dropped, and IIRC I was reading that the Smith and Wesson M&P had an issue with that too... A co-worker had one of the LCPs that were recalled, and they just had to do a quick machining and stamped a diamond in the hammer groove to show it had been repaired.

Couldn't find anything definite on the M&P, but here's the info on the LCP:

http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Hmmm....happened in my city, but i am 8,000 miles away.....Seventies please update us on your research into this.

Most likely, this idiot tried to grab for the gun as it fell, or fumbled in the darkness for it and reflexively grabbed the grip and squeezed one off. 56 year old. I have had a number of elderly gentlemen in our gun classes, and by and large they are the most stubborn of students, refusing to listen to instruction on grip and trigger safety, always saying "this is how i've always done it."

If in Sparks, it would have been the Century Theater in downtown Sparks, and CCW or not, Century Theaters are adamantly antigun and have signs posting declaring no guns (from long before the Aurora CO shooting).

What an imbecile. Wonder who certified him for his CCW.....

·
13 Posts
And this is why I expound on allowing bad safety habits to be exibited on good gun web sites.

capitalcityglock Clumsiness like this makes us all look bad...
I could not agree more. I mean regardless of why the firearm went off (I am skeptical of the "it went off when it hit the floor story) but this is the kinda story that makes gun owners look bad. As someone said earlier, rule # 1 is to never drop the gun in the first place. I mean, I can understand carrying to a theater after the Colorado incident but if I personally was carrying at the theater, I would at least adjust my weapon to a more comfortable position prior to taking my seat, but that is just me.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Hmmm....happened in my city, but i am 8,000 miles away.....Seventies please update us on your research into this.

Most likely, this idiot tried to grab for the gun as it fell, or fumbled in the darkness for it and reflexively grabbed the grip and squeezed one off. 56 year old. I have had a number of elderly gentlemen in our gun classes, and by and large they are the most stubborn of students, refusing to listen to instruction on grip and trigger safety, always saying "this is how i've always done it."

If in Sparks, it would have been the Century Theater in downtown Sparks, and CCW or not, Century Theaters are adamantly antigun and have signs posting declaring no guns (from long before the Aurora CO shooting).

What an imbecile. Wonder who certified him for his CCW.....

Elderly Gentlemen? 56? Hmmm.... I'm crowding 59, so... Anyway, I'll get right on that follow up duty HS. As soon as I have my nap.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
yes, do that my friend....we all know that when someone reaches your advanced age that naps are a necessary thing....heeheeheee!!!! :D

Cheers, Seventies! :)

No problem Happy, going into town to Bizarre Guns tomorrow, I'll see what the scuttlebutt is on Barney Fife. Hot here, around 97 with the humidity @ 15%, and the wind is up. Fire warnings till Tues or so, and nobody's shooting in the Desert. Enjoy your trip, & see you when you get back.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I still don't get why they had to mention the Aurora shootings in the article.. totally different happenings. Only thing similar is a gun went off and someone was shot... wasn't intentionally done, only a single shot, shot himself not numbers of strangers....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts