Dog training

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ash1012, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I Work second shift and the wife is home alone almost all day. We have decided to get a dog. A German shepherd. I want this dog to be a family dog but be protective as well. Any one have any experience with trainers or have any advice to share?

2. Ed Frawley @ Leerburg Enterprises.

no substitute. do everything he says before you even get a dog all the way on through its life.

/thread

3. robb

robb New Member

I have a german shepard also , its one of the smartest breeds ever.they are very easy to train and are very protective of family members.

4. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I have had German Shepherd dogs for the past 21 years and I can promise you that you will not find a more loyal, protective, trustworthy family pet.
    I would bet money that you could put the biggest, badest, dogs in seperate pens along with your Shepherd, open the doors at the same time and watch the others fight while your Shepherd is running to your side to protect you or other family members.
    Easy to train, they love to learn and please their owner.
    Do your homework before buying, a good quality Shepherd from a good bloodline is going to cost you a pretty penny but in the long run, well worth the money.
    I have always trained my own so I couldn't tell you about a trainer. Time and patients is all I have ever used.
    Sorry to be long winded but I love German Shepherds.
    Good Luck!!!

5. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Any advice on where to buy and how to train, or a good book on training for first time dog owner?

6. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I trained police dogs for seven years, and we used the philosophy of William Koehler (http://www.koehlerdogtraining.com). I would recommend reading one of his books and it will give you good insight.

7. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

You couldn't have picked a more loyal, intelligent and brave breed for a pet. The best dog I ever had was a GSD. I trained him the basics of obedience training only. I think the being protective part just comes natural for that breed of dog.
    I know there are good rescued dogs out there and many people hate breeders due to the "puppy mill" thing. But personally, I will always go with a REPUTABLE breeder. You just never know the lineage or history of a rescued animal. Good luck with your GSD. I know you'll love the time with him or her.

8. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I will be checking out all of those trainers. Thanks for the input guys. I am very excited to get my new friend lol

9. I miss mine. His name was Recon. He ended up dying of total kidney failure, and it has left a sore spot. I have Felon (My Husky) to fill the void so no new puppies yet.

Attached Files:

10. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Sry to hear that. Wen I was young we had a boxer and it was hard to him pass. There is just nothing like a good dog. Huskies are awesome dogs tho. And felon is an awesome name lol

11. Yea he is a big boy, vet today said he is 106lbs. He is actually AKC registered as "Felonious Assault". Recon came from a breeder that ended up being horrible. His siblings, as far as I know, all expired at some point.

12. mikecu

mikecu New Member

You might want to consider joining a dog training club. It can be fun for the whole family.
    For the dog, it's like taking an 8 year old child to Disney World.
    I also 2nd what NukinFuts said about Ed Frawley.

Here is my Ozzy that passed this year from cancer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  13. Sorry to hear that. Ed is great, I got the chance to visit his "compound" a few years back.

14. c1328chase

c1328chase Member

You guys are being such RACISTS! Y'all praise the German Shepherd, what about the Hungarian, what about the Czech? These Breeds are NO different than your Nazi dogs!

All jokes aside, wonderful dogs, all of them, beautiful, loving, charismatic, and full of personality. My dad has been a K-9 handler for a good portion of my life and we've had all 3 I've mentioned above. There's something to be said for the loyalty/love/and teamwork between a K-9 and his partner *insert human/chauffeur*.

Good luck with your training.

15. havasu

My K-9 partner was from Linz, Austria. At the time, there was not much inbreeding from across the pond.

16. I once did K-9 training with a rat terrier /chiwuahwa (i cant spell it) mix. lol

17. havasu

For dope or explosives?

18. Neither, I trained him to locate furry animals and more importantly, arrows for compound and cross bows. Did home protection with him also. That dog could detect a gun on ANYBODY. All kidding aside that ugly little thing was one of the best dogs I ever trained.

19. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

You have to be very careful in buying a German Shepherd. Stay away from American show lines; most of them no longer have any working ability. You need German working lines, and even then you have to be careful.

German Shepherds, because they have spent so much time in the top 10 most popular breeds, have been over bred by back yard breeders who know nothing about breeding dogs, or by puppy mills that are even worse.

I have always loved German Shepherds and have spent a lot of time studying and working with the breed. For some reason, American show lines have been bred with the "desirable" sloping back. That sloping back has destroyed their hips and in many cases their other joints. Achieving this look has required a degree of in-breeding that has also ruined temperament.

As beautiful as they are, stay away from white GSDs. They have been severely in-bred to achieve the white, which is a recessive gene. They are known to have some serious mental issues.

You have to be prepared, because these dogs require room, exercise, attention and something to do. A bored German Shepherd, especially a young one, can be destructive. I've seen them tear apart bedroom doors, walls, all the way down to electrical cords and, of course, shoes. Also, they SHED like crazy. Your house will be covered in hair twice a year. We call them German Shedders, because it seems like a more accurate description.

I recommend that you look at German Shepherd rescue. They have many dogs available and have experienced people who have lived with (foster homes), worked with and trained the individual dogs. They will have knowledge of the temperament of the dog, the dogs are all up to date on shots, have been fixed and any health issues have been addressed. They have dogs in rescue from 8 weeks old on up. You often get a good dog who is already housebroken and has at least the beginnings of basic obedience.

Alternatively, to help avoid the majority of the genetic issues you find in GSDs, you may also want to consider Dutch Shepherds and Belgian Shepherds (Malinois mostly). They come from the same origins as the German Shepherds; if you go back 100 years, they were the same breed. They have each been bred for different colors, slightly different sizes, but have the same (or better) working ability. The military and law enforcement are using both more often, because of the problems with GSDs. You get the same characteristics, protective, family dogs, without most of the health concerns.

Here too, you should look to rescue. There are many good dogs available, of all ages, and again any health issues have been addressed and basic obedience started.

Breed specific rescues will help match you to the right dog. A good breeder will as well. When it comes to Dutchies and Malinois, just as with a good German Shepherd, you're going to pay what will seem like a lot for a puppy. It's for a reason, and that reason is good, healthy lines, with proven health history on hips and elbows, with working titles. Rescue is a great alternative because you're saving a life and you're getting a dog with a head start on training; you don't have to go through the puppy issues.

If you're looking at a puppy and it's priced much under $1k, odds are it's not coming from good lines. That applies to GSDs, Dutchies and Mals. Rescues will cost you a 1/4 of that and often less.

Find a local a trainer; all you need is basic obedience. Protective instinct is natural and can't be trained. If you do anything more than basic obedience, like getting into bite work, you've got a big time and cost commitment, because you have to train with them daily; you're home owner's insurance is also going to increase.

Do your research on breed-specific forums. Follow the advice of the people on them; they have a lot more experience with these dogs than 98% of the population. GSDs are not average dogs and you don't want advice from average dog owners.

I recommend that you read both of these books from the Monks of New Skete. They breed some of the best GSDs in the country. They do not, as of last month, have any available. Their books and training methods are fantastic. They often take in problem dogs and return them to the owners as well trained, well behaved, amazing family members.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Raising-P...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335629828&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Your-Dogs...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335629828&sr=1-2

Find a small, independent pet shop. They are usually full of good advice, including referrals to good trainers and vets, not to mention nutrition. Don't seek advice from PetSmart and the like; the majority of their employees are a step above Wal-mart in both intelligence and knowledge. You might, occasionally, find a decent trainer at one, but outside of that, you're talking to minimum wage employees with no actual training on the products they sell.

If you can find a mobile vet that's good, use them. It's much less stressful for everyone if the vet comes to you and in my experience, it's not that much more expensive than taking them in. You lose the stress of the smell and being around other stressed animals, which makes the whole experience much more pleasant for both of you.

Find a good groomer and a boarding facility. You're going to need the groomer and you never know when you might need to board them because of a family emergency or something. If you can find a boarding facility that also does daycare, you're dog will thank you; they'll get more exercise and interaction than in a regular facility.

Find a dog park and take your dog there. The better socialized they are with other people and dogs, the better off they'll be. Interaction with other dogs is good for them. Make sure they're over 16 weeks and up to date on shots before you go.

Take your time and make sure you do this right. If you get a puppy, besides the training time, you're investing 10-15 years in them.

I think that's everything. If have any questions, need any help or suggestions, shoot me a message. As part of breed rescue for these guys, I think it's extremely important that people know what they're getting into before they make a decision.

20. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I googled him and wow dose he have a lot of videos and books