Glock Firearms banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I carry concealed, never open. I carry IWB at 2:30 or 3:00 with a long sloppy shirt of some kind which hides the grip. To the original question in this thread's title, open carry doesn't guarantee you to be a target, but it sure increases the odds. Concealed carry can be spotted by bad guys, but it's less likely. Lots of variables, like the clothing you wear, printing, how you act, things like that.

·
Registered
Fox Pepper Spray and....................
671 Posts
back when you had to have a part of a gun showing in AZ I was challenged by some crack head in a CircleK . I much prefer concealed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I always conceal , it's the law here in ILLinois. I wouldn't open carry if only because it invites the inevitable hassle . Without going into details, I believe that concealed FAR outweighs open in the grand scheme. What I do disagree with vehemently is open carry just to taunt the police and waste their time. "They" call it "auditing" for the second amendment . That action just proves to the anti gun crowd that there are whackos that own guns.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I always conceal , it's the law here in ILLinois. I wouldn't open carry if only because it invites the inevitable hassle . Without going into details, I believe that concealed FAR outweighs open in the grand scheme. What I do disagree with vehemently is open carry just to taunt the police and waste their time. "They" call it "auditing" for the second amendment . That action just proves to the anti gun crowd that there are whackos that own guns.

Mark
Mark, I couldn't agree more with you. Whether you open-carry or concealed-carry, either way you are a potential threat to a "bad guy". If you advertise your status as a potential threat, you remove your element of surprise.
And I agree completely with your stance on open-carrying just to taunt the police. The 2A community is under attack in America right now, and it's more important than ever for all of us to publicly behave in a way that doesn't convey "a$$hole".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its gonna become interesting in SC where as on Aug.15th 21, it becomes legal to open carry if you currently have a CWP.
I've had a CWP since it was first passed into law and offered for SC residence, which was about 20 years ago.
I personally feel that the benefit of the unknown by concealing will still be my method of carry.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,332 Posts
Its gonna become interesting in SC where as on Aug.15th 21, it becomes legal to open carry if you currently have a CWP.
I've had a CWP since it was first passed into law and offered for SC residence, which was about 20 years ago.
I personally feel that the benefit of the unknown by concealing will still be my method of carry.
There wasn’t a big change when Texas went that way about 6 years ago. Still rare to see open carriers in my part of North Texas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in an open carry state where you are more likely to spot bigfoot than an open carrier. Unless I am far off in remote areas or somewhere in the wilderness, I never open carry. I dont give a hoot about offending the seemingly fragile sensibilities of some members of the public at large but I DO CARE about potentially being highlighted as the most obvious threat to the active criminal who may have already committed overt acts toward the commission of a serious crime. We have no idea and no control over exactly WHEN a potential threat will become aware of the open carrier ( if at all). That deficiency is very troubling as any potential deterrent that open carry may offer can certainly depend substantially on the precise moment the OCer is realized. Before bad deeds occur, after it has begun, as it continues, at the conclusion of hostile action, during the escape of the scene or maybe not at all. If bad deeds are already underway or otherwise committed to, it may not be so easy for the criminal to simply abort. If faced with an obvious threat at some point (after) criminal acts have begun, the criminal may be limited to Fight, Flee, Surrender or Ignore. I tend to lean towards a belief that a violent criminal is more likely to respond violently rather than passively. Why would someone willingly and unnecessarily highlight themselves in such a way as to potentially cause a violent criminal ( involved in criminal action) to reexamine his target hierarchy.

I cannot know what is in the mind of any open carrier but based on those who I have had the occasion to encounter over many decades, the practice seems to often be more about activism, attention or some manner of social engineering. I will not deny that open carry can deter crime and I am sure that it has in some instances. That said, I am not confident that it will offer much in the way of deterrent unless the criminal becomes aware well before any over acts have taken place. Personally, I do not want to be perceived as the lion at the gate surrounded by poodles. I would rather be seen as a poodle and exploit that conditions in my favor. If sorely underestimated within a sea of seemingly unarmed masses, I may be able to choose the time to act, the advantageous position to act, the preferred distance or perhaps escape altogether. If I am seen as the sole lion barring the gate, I may not be afforded any of those decisions or exploitations.

So the question is: Why do it at all? As they say, just because you can doesnt mean that you should. Some individuals may have a very good reason but in my travels, I have rarely encountered those reasons that I consider good. Still, it is not for me to decide for the next guy and I certainly support more liberty as opposed to less. I will simply offer my precautions and hope that a person has the experience to make a sound decision regarding his/her mode of carry. Generally speaking, in my very small corner of the world, is seems that the more training a person has in regards to risk assessing, risk mitigating and criminals in general; the less likely they are to open carry. This is probably why so few LEOs open carry while off duty.

I didnt touch on the gun grab but most people already accept that open carriers get their weapons snatched fairly regularly. What this signifies to me that one of two things may be going on. One: The open display of a firearm is not much of a deterrent to many predatory criminals or Two: The specific open carry individual simply projected weakness in spite of the fact that they are armed. Again this begs the question.. why do it? When so many elements are out of ones control, why project that you are armed, where and by what means? Why project this to every casual observer who looks in your direction? It is certainly alot of free information to freely and arbitrarily offer to someone who may in fact be a danger to you. I accept that there very well may be any number of sensible reasons to open carry. At the same time, I cant think of enough that would allow me to partake of this particular mode of carry while in the presence of the general public. I say that because I feel that the tactics and strategic associated with maintaining my personal safety is far more important than any combination of things I commonly hear OC proponents say. Someone may change my mind today, but I doubt it.

Regardless of which mode of carry you choose, I wish you the best of luck and safe travels.

·
Low speed High drag
2,529 Posts
Pretty sure in another thread I gave my opinions on this...lol.
I OC daily. I also have the training and skills to pull it off safely. As far as being a target I have 0 worries about that as I believe a smart criminal will wait for me to leave the area rather than become exposed trying to take me on. How often are people who OC taken out 1st before the bad guy commits his crime ? Inside the pants carry is uncomfortable and I gotta buy larger pants,and just not my thing.Now I have extensive training and have carried this way as a civilian, LEO,and work abroad. Only time I ever really concealed carry was in NY and I printed bad,but I was LEO and when I did Executive Protection gigs and my jacket covered my firearm. I also use good holsters and am very aware of my surroundings. So my gun isn't just gonna get yanked out of my holsters (tested this many times in weapons retention training) and you gotta get way to close to me to take my gun and that means your gonna get cut or hit with a set of titanium knuckles! I do not allow anyone to get that close to me I don't know! Also the speed and 1st shot accuracy I get when shooting from my hip or thigh is much better than inside the waist band or even with a shirt covering my firearm. I totally understand why people choose to carry differently than I do and that's fine,but if I'm in a OC state that's how I'm carrying.

·
Low speed High drag
2,529 Posts
Good luck with all that.. I hope that the moons and the stars continue to align themselves for you.
It's not luck it's many years of training and having the skills to do it.
For most people carrying concealed is a good and smart choice. Again people who OC are not being taken out, if so show me the proof. The people who get their gun snatched usually have crappy holsters and 0 training and are not aware of their surroundings. OC isn't for everyone and there are many good reasons for people not to do it,but its not for me. Of course I have situations where a g42 concealed is preferred, but those occasions are few and far between for me.
Remember a right unused is a right easily taken away.

·
Low speed High drag
2,529 Posts
I'm not saying people who cc don't have skill. It's just some different skills you should have to OC safely.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Another self resurrecting thread. Interesting topic and one that will never go away.
I have my opinion, I also know that people are gloriously unaware of their surroundings.
OC, WML's, semi vs revolver, Isreal carry, and a host of other topics just won't go away. Not that most aren't pretty well explained and reasonable people will do what is reasonable for them, but because someone read about some "expert", that said to do it.
Most "experts" are only expert in convincing you they are an expert, but you will never be convinced of that fact. Convinced?
Have fun.

Just another thought to think about. We are living in very extraordinary times. We should already know this. Many quality trainers and reviewers have made note of this and well should. It brings it up to folks who deny or are oblivious, but either way, it is something to think about. Carry all the ammo you can and be aware of what is going on around you.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
14,080 Posts
I live in an open carry state where you are more likely to spot bigfoot than an open carrier. Unless I am far off in remote areas or somewhere in the wilderness, I never open carry. I dont give a hoot about offending the seemingly fragile sensibilities of some members of the public at large but I DO CARE about potentially being highlighted as the most obvious threat to the active criminal who may have already committed overt acts toward the commission of a serious crime. We have no idea and no control over exactly WHEN a potential threat will become aware of the open carrier ( if at all). That deficiency is very troubling as any potential deterrent that open carry may offer can certainly depend substantially on the precise moment the OCer is realized. Before bad deeds occur, after it has begun, as it continues, at the conclusion of hostile action, during the escape of the scene or maybe not at all. If bad deeds are already underway or otherwise committed to, it may not be so easy for the criminal to simply abort. If faced with an obvious threat at some point (after) criminal acts have begun, the criminal may be limited to Fight, Flee, Surrender or Ignore. I tend to lean towards a belief that a violent criminal is more likely to respond violently rather than passively. Why would someone willingly and unnecessarily highlight themselves in such a way as to potentially cause a violent criminal ( involved in criminal action) to reexamine his target hierarchy.

I cannot know what is in the mind of any open carrier but based on those who I have had the occasion to encounter over many decades, the practice seems to often be more about activism, attention or some manner of social engineering. I will not deny that open carry can deter crime and I am sure that it has in some instances. That said, I am not confident that it will offer much in the way of deterrent unless the criminal becomes aware well before any over acts have taken place. Personally, I do not want to be perceived as the lion at the gate surrounded by poodles. I would rather be seen as a poodle and exploit that conditions in my favor. If sorely underestimated within a sea of seemingly unarmed masses, I may be able to choose the time to act, the advantageous position to act, the preferred distance or perhaps escape altogether. If I am seen as the sole lion barring the gate, I may not be afforded any of those decisions or exploitations.

So the question is: Why do it at all? As they say, just because you can doesnt mean that you should. Some individuals may have a very good reason but in my travels, I have rarely encountered those reasons that I consider good. Still, it is not for me to decide for the next guy and I certainly support more liberty as opposed to less. I will simply offer my precautions and hope that a person has the experience to make a sound decision regarding his/her mode of carry. Generally speaking, in my very small corner of the world, is seems that the more training a person has in regards to risk assessing, risk mitigating and criminals in general; the less likely they are to open carry. This is probably why so few LEOs open carry while off duty.

I didnt touch on the gun grab but most people already accept that open carriers get their weapons snatched fairly regularly. What this signifies to me that one of two things may be going on. One: The open display of a firearm is not much of a deterrent to many predatory criminals or Two: The specific open carry individual simply projected weakness in spite of the fact that they are armed. Again this begs the question.. why do it? When so many elements are out of ones control, why project that you are armed, where and by what means? Why project this to every casual observer who looks in your direction? It is certainly alot of free information to freely and arbitrarily offer to someone who may in fact be a danger to you. I accept that there very well may be any number of sensible reasons to open carry. At the same time, I cant think of enough that would allow me to partake of this particular mode of carry while in the presence of the general public. I say that because I feel that the tactics and strategic associated with maintaining my personal safety is far more important than any combination of things I commonly hear OC proponents say. Someone may change my mind today, but I doubt it.

Regardless of which mode of carry you choose, I wish you the best of luck and safe travels.
What state are you in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally am opposed to open carry unless out in a rural area. I live in Florida but lived in Colorado for many years. Whenever I saw someone open carrying I always had the thought “look at me - I want attention”. Problem is I know how bad guys think. That open carrier is their first target if they decided to proceed with whatever crime they are contemplating. I think conceal carry is much better. Security, weapon retention, etc.

Several years ago I was at a Sam’s Club in Colorado Springs. While checking out I saw the guy behind me in line. Camo pants bloused with tactical style boots, tight black tank top, open carry holstered 1911 in condition 1 on one side of his waist and a full size fighting knife on the other. Probably a Karate Kid fan because he was wearing a bandana too. Only thing missing from this ass clown’s ensemble would be camo make up on his face. I paid very close attention to this idiot the whole time we were in line. Better believe I was glad I was conceal carrying and prepared to deal with the situation if this Walter Mitty moron did anything out of line.

Obviously I am not talking about people hunting, fishing, camping, etc who choose to open carry. That makes perfect sense to me.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts