Does anyone use Reloads as PDA?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Glock_Fanatic, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Well do ya? Why or why not? Can you even get hollow point bullets? Obviously I don't reload (yet, no room in the house)

2. mikecu

mikecu New Member

No reloads and no reused condoms. They just don't seem as good as they were the first time. :D

3. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Lol I've never had a problem with reused condoms... Lol jk jk

4. mikecu

mikecu New Member

Is this a picture of your clothesline? You must of had a good week. :D

[​IMG]

5. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I've never known anyone that elected to use reloads as their choice for either hunting or PD, reloads were for practice & plinking. Handloading unfired, new, factory primed brass is the method we always used. A seasoned, experienced, handloader has no reservations taking on anything that can be hunted, using his own handloads, worked up over time & endlessly tested in his weapons of choice, rifle, shotgun, or handgun. But bear in mind, I grew up when Elmer Kieth was a staff writer at Guns & Ammo magazine, and everyone I knew aspired to half as good as he was. As the inventor of the .357 mag, & the .44 mag he was regarded as godlike. If your capable & confident enough to stalk a dangerous animal with a hand gun, loaded with your own custom handloads, then by all means take a turn. If not, then there is always rifle hunting from a comfortable distance, tree stands, & plenty of factory loads to choose from.

As far as handloading for personal defense, it's not really practical. There are many choices of manufactures & cartridges to choose from, and little to be gained in handloading them yourself. By the time you buy new primed brass, and the premium bullet of your choice, you haven't really saved that much, since most people don't practice with high end personal defense ammunition anyway, and what you end up with is pretty much the same as store bought.

You can obtain most all bullets that are used in popular production, and many more bullets that aren't sold as loaded ammunition. It's rewarding to make your own, perhaps a bit time consuming, but some people find a great satisfaction in doing things themselves.

I enjoy it. Some do, some don't.

6. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

hmmm... seems legit, i was honestly just curious but that makes sense!

7. arkshooter

arkshooter New Member

PDA ammo

In our CHL classes we strongly advise to carry what is available on the market, ie what anybody can buy at the store.
    The thinking is.. if you "reloaded it" maybe its hot or a special load. Its something a lawyer can use against you.
    When I purchase PDA ammo, I mark the box as bought for pistol (sn#) to identify it if there is a question. Just another step in CYA..

My $.02

HTH

8. SeventiesWreckers

I've heard that being tossed around, but I can't see how that would work. It's not against the law to load your own ammunition. If you defend yourself, and it is deemed justified under the law, no charges are filed. So how could the bullet you used be submitted for evidence in a case that doesn't exist?

I just use store bought premium brands for carry, because I can't see much room for improvement.

9. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Civil suit is a big concern, as well. The person/person's family can sue you. If you used, what their lawyers are able to construe, as a hot load, you can be painted as a negligent gun owner using "expiremental rounds" purposefully looking to injure or kill someone. Same with using "zombiemax" ammo. You could painted as someone who lives on the fringes of sanity/reality, looking to protect yourself against non-existent dangers.

Never underestimate the power of a lawyer looking to cash in on a lawsuit. You know, the "we dont get paid unto you win a settlement" type lawyers.

Regardless of how the criminal case turned out or even if there was a criminal case, If they're a good enough lawyer, they'll get it so the results of the criminal case can't be used in the civil case.

Just a thought...
    D

10. SeventiesWreckers

Since we live in a litigious culture, where civil actions are always a possibility, there is merit to the idea. We could all be sued in civil actions by anyone, at any time. All it takes is a staged accident, and there you go. I take some consolation in the fact that Personal Injury Attys. of that ilk are pretty greedy, and I'm not really a good investment of their time. Because, like most of us here, I would fight it, they would have to go to trial. And I would spend every dime of my worth on my own defense. So even if they won in court, & got a judgement, they would still lose. I have no earning potential because of my age. A dry well.

It's just not me to worry, or give merit to things like that. Because, if I do, then I have to worry about all the other things that might go wrong in the future. It just never works out, because whatever I'm concerned about, never happens, something totally unforeseen always does though. So I just roll the dice & whatever happens gets dealt with.

It's all a gamble after all. And you'll never win betting with scared money.