Does ammo have a Exp date

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Redhairdontcare, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Redhairdontcare

Redhairdontcare New Member

I'm not talking about range ammo but the hollow points I carry daily . Iv heard after a year shoot it and get new some say never but I trust your guys opinions over most !

2. Tape

Tape New Member

nope, surplus ammo is about 50-60 years old

3. Tape

Tape New Member

who told you that, an ammo salesman:D

4. Hamster

Hamster New Member

There's no experation date as such but, you can usually tell when ammo is past the point where it's safe to use. If it's kept in a clean & dry environment, it'll last for a LONG time. Moisture, corrosion and extreme temperatures are your worst enemies.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

There is an explanation, and that is a kinda valid statement.

The ammo loaded into your firearm, presumably (but not always, as per personal preferences) goes everywhere you go and is subjected to everything you are exposed to: humidity, lubricants in the gun, sweat (which is both acidic and corrosive), solvents in the air, salt (if you are near the ocean) and so on, including chemical residues from previous shooting sessions, and even chemicals leaching out of leather holsters.

Given all that chemical exposure that is constant and unrelenting, there is the possibility that the primer can be rendered inoperative from continuous exposure.... when your life may depend on it, wouldnt you want a sure thing? I mean, thats why we got a Glock, right?

I tell my students that i recommend they fire off the ammo in their carry weapon once a year, and replace it with fresh ammo from the box. I tell them a good reminder is every year when daylight savings time comes in and they test their smoke detectors and A/C filters, go out and shoot their on-person ammo. A mag or two of ammo is worth way less than your life or that of your loved ones.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

6. Tape

Tape New Member

good point Happy but I have couple thousand rounds of the top three calibers of doubletap that I only use for sd and long storage, as you know DT is quite expensive and not a range round imo. I store that much of DT because the price is only going up.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Ammo in storage if kept dry, away from humidity and wide temperature changes, can last over 20 years or more.

I was referring only to ammo carried in your EDC and backup ammo carried on your person daily.

I have fired .50BMG ammo in the late 1980s that was manufactured in the mid-1930s and early 1940s.

That being said, if your ammo starts smelling like ammonia or stinking like dried urine, the gunpowder is beginning to degrade chemically and must be either used immediately, or the ammo dismantled and powder replaced, and should NOT be relied upon as 100% dependable for personal protection ammo. It could, in fact, lead to hangfires, misfires, and/or squib loads.

8. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

I like your line of thought. All of my ammo stays in ammo boxes, and when I go to the range the chambered round gets fired, then I switch to practice ammo. Once a year I will shoot up the mags loaded with carry ammo and reload with what is in stock. I rotate all of the ammo boxes according to when I purchased the ammo, I just write the date on the top of each box.

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yep. Exactly! Good for you!

I've had .45ACP ammo that I had to dismantle because the powder started stinking up after 3 years only...it was Hodgdon HS-6 powder. Dismantled the rounds one by one, re-expanded the cases, loaded with fresh powder and reseated the bullets. The old powder I mixed with earth in the rose bushes behind the house...excellent nitrocellulose fertilizer!

10. Augi

Augi New Member

Dismantle, is that a new way of fired/discharged/put down range?:D

"Officer, I dismantled 4 rounds into the perp because he tried to swing his Louisville Slugger at my head."

I sort of like it!

11. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Everything Happysniper1 said, dead on as usual.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of former comblock surplus ammo from sealed tin crates in my Mosin Nagant rifle with no problems. 1956 Czech, 1974 Russian & 1977 Bulgarian. Not the most accurate ammo but went bang evertyime.

12. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Now, that's funny!!!:p

13. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

While it agree, it is funny, it isn't quite what I meant, but LOL!!!! :D

No, when you "dismantle" a round of ammunition, using an inertial bullet puller, you turn a complete round into a bullet in your hand, gunpowder spilled out into a container, and brass with a live primer in it. This allows reloaders to correct errors in assembling the round, and allows a means of recycling the otherwise unused components (brass with live primer and bullet)...the gunpowder (already beginning to deteriorate) can be burned on the ground, or tossed into the flower beds...it is an excellent fertilizer (not kidding!).

I kinda like your line of thinking, though!