Do you use same gr for practice and carry ?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Braz, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Braz

Braz New Member

I was told that you need to shoot the same grain that you carry for protection. So, that's what I have started to do. Anyone else do this or just go to Wal-Mart and buy whatever's on sale ?

2. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

Yes I do.

Not only do I use the same weight bullet, I use similiar performance rounds for practice and carry.

I.E. : I use American Eagle 230gr FMJ @890fps for range work. I use Federal HST 230gr @890fps for carry. Ballistic performance is the same so I feel the same recoil and get the same shot groups.

I used to use whatever was cheapest or on sale and then wondered why my carry ammo felt "hotter" until I figured most of what I practiced with was under 850fps.

3. Glocks

Glocks Junior Member

With my 19 at the range I use 115 gr fmj. For carry I have 147gr JHP. For the 22 at the range I use 165Gr fmj and for carry 180 JHP. I shoot the same with both grains. It's just cheaper!

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

You don't have to use the same, but many of us recommend that you do. I do, even if it means I have to tweak my carry ammo to match my practice ammo, based on cost & supply.

5. carrying what you reload is a terrible idea. You're WAY better off legally to buy some factory loads for carry. Some lawyer would love to get hold of some clown carrying his super hot flesh exploding cop killers.