Glock Forum banner
21 - 40 of 251 Posts
This can get controversial real quick, I'm from the school of thought that if you don't trust a loaded weapon then you prob shouldn't carry one at all. Unloaded weapon can get you killed real quick. With ANY weapon system, keep your booger hook off the bang button until you have acquired you target within your sights. Put one in the pipe and practice indexing your finger on the draw, follow the main 4 rules of firearm safety and you will degrease you chances of a negligent discharge to near 0%.

No one has ever given me a self defense scenario where having an empty chamber would be beneficial, please load your weapons folks. Keep them in a responsible place so you don't arm kids or criminals but make sure they are ready for the fight when it happens. .

Not in the Glock. My LC9 has a safety so I do carry +1 in the chamber safety on with it. That being said I always hear about the time it takes to rack a round so being a newer semi auto pistol person I tested the time required, or more accurately the difference in this video. I also don't buy the left arm injured thing since I have demonstrated the ability to rake the slide chambering a dummy round many times since making the video.
It comes down to a choice based on comfort and perceived need to me. To me it is not worth the risk. For those who do carry condition 1 I can only hope they practice often and it is not a case of bravado. No one wants to be that guy who shot himself on accident or worse yet someone else. What a $hitty way to end up in jail. :rolleyes:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B265Aufe-M[/ame]

I carry one chambered because my Glock isn't leaving my holster while I'm cc'ing unless it's 100% needed. I take my holster off when done for the day with the firearm still in it since the trigger guard is covered I have nothing to worry about. in the event I do take it out so I can sit more comfortably at a buddies house then I make sure my finger is index always which it should be at all times unless a target is acquired. I don't think it's a bravado thing as much as a being comfortable with what you own and being prepared thing. Although there can be some who just want to be big and bad so they do what the movies or rappers do.

If having a round chambered in your Glock makes you nervous, then you better stay clear away from double action S&W revolvers.

Support Gunner said:
An if someone starts shooting at you and your not close enough to palm push/strike them then what? Most of the time you wont be in arms reach of your attacker when you need to draw. If you truly want to be prepared have one in the chamber. :)
I hear ya sir. I just need to get used to having one chambered all the time :) my glock is my first gun and just got it almost 2 weeks ago. I think i'll get used to it in time. Thanks!

SmoKoY said:
I hear ya sir. I just need to get used to having one chambered all the time :) my glock is my first gun and just got it almost 2 weeks ago. I think i'll get used to it in time. Thanks!
There are a lot of different ways people get used to it. In my opinion, the best way is keep a new snap cap chambered with a full mag of real ammo. If you have to draw your weapon you would be in the same place as you would be if there wasn't one chambered. However, after a normal days work (or a few days, depending on what makes you comfortable) you will see that the gun has not been fire and the snap cap has not been touched/striked

geolson414 said:
There are a lot of different ways people get used to it. In my opinion, the best way is keep a new snap cap chambered with a full mag of real ammo. If you have to draw your weapon you would be in the same place as you would be if there wasn't one chambered. However, after a normal days work (or a few days, depending on what makes you comfortable) you will see that the gun has not been fire and the snap cap has not been touched/striked
Thanks for the tip! I would have "liked" this post but using a mobile app so i just had to reply :)

I don't think it's a bravado thing as much as a being comfortable with what you own and being prepared thing. Although there can be some who just want to be big and bad so they do what the movies or rappers do.
I think you get my point. ;) That trigger doesn't care who's finger or even if it is a finger that pulls it. With one in the chamber it's game on.
Now someone above said,
"If having a round chambered in your Glock makes you nervous, then you better stay clear away from double action S&W revolvers."
Because a DA trigger works like a SA trigger? :confused: I was taught to carry with a revolver and if you carried while working most carried without a round under the trigger. Reason was a firm impact to the trigger could result in a discharge of the round. Never met anyone it happened to but many still carry that way. Of course this wasn't the mean streets, this was in the Adirondacks where you would be in and out of vehicles, cutting trees and generally very physical labor. I guess I was raised in a fail safe attitude, don't get shot by your own gun. ;) Like this guy...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/ame]

I was taught to carry with a revolver and if you carried while working most carried without a round under the trigger. Reason was a firm impact to the trigger could result in a discharge of the round. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE
This would only be true if you have an old style Colt Single Action. In a modern DA revolver you either have a transfer bar or a hammer block that totally stops the hammer from reaching the live round.
Also, with a DA revolver it's NOT the chamber under the hammer that'd be the problem, it'd be the next one in line that would come into play with a pull of the trigger since pulling the trigger rotates the cylinder to the next chamber.

This would only be true if you have an old style Colt Single Action. In a modern DA revolver you either have a transfer bar or a hammer block that totally stops the hammer from reaching the live round.
;)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLHA4P8g6w[/ame]

If you don't think you can get your handgun out of your holster without shooting yourself (like good ole Tex Scembner) than don't carry one in the tube :eek:

I've had my handgun in and out of my holster (with one in the tube) thousands of times and never had a negligent discharge so it doesn't bother me. Keep you finger off the trigger and its not going to go off on its own, if you can't trust yourself to keep your finger off the trigger than, by all means, feel free to keep the chamber unloaded until you need it.

Really only one or two legitimate exceptions, but one chambered and ready is the only way to carry. It may be dangerous, but you are carrying because the world is more dangerous. Remember rule number 1, treat all firearms as if they are loaded. If you can't do that, don't carry at all.

I teach my students that mechanical safeties are just that...a mechanical device that can fail at any time. YOU are the safety!

I always keep one in the pipe. That extra second or two to rack the slide and chamber a round could very well be a second or two too long for your own good. Worst thing I've ever heard from someone, is they unholstered their weapon in a rush, forgot in the adrenaline high they were "running on empty", aimed, pulled and heard a sharp, metallic "click!". Luckily for him, so he says, his knife-wielding assailant saw a .45 aimed at him and ran away like a schoolgirl from a mouse.

Always one in the chamber. In a high stress situation you're gonna end up drawing your weapon, forget there isn't a round chambered and you'll hear the worlds loudest click.

21 - 40 of 251 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.