Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the more expert...

I carry one in the chamber but never have my mag fully loaded. I was told by many people, including some officers...

That not to fully load your mag, for example if your mag can have 15 rounds, you should only carry 12-13 rounds. This is to not wear off your spring over time, especially if you don't go to the range often and leave your rounds inside the mag a long time.

True?? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Know guys from both schools, some who regularly unload and clean their mags, others who load and forget. Personally, I load light. If the mag's 12 rd capacity, I load 10. It's an old Army habit. We never loaded more than 18 in a 20rd M-16 mag. Load 20 and you would have a guaranteed malfunction.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Fully loaded, anyone who says different is an idiot. Why? It costs ~20 to buy a second or third magazine, and leave one empty. Once a month of every other month, swap the one you are using with the empty. This means every other month your magazines are empty for an entire month.

Besides no matter what, mags and mag parts are CHEAP. Ask them if loosing their lives over a few bullets to save a few bucks is worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fully loaded, anyone who says different is an idiot. Why? It costs ~20 to buy a second or third magazine, and leave one empty. Once a month of every other month, swap the one you are using with the empty. This means every other month your magazines are empty for an entire month.

Besides no matter what, mags and mag parts are CHEAP. Ask them if loosing their lives over a few bullets to save a few bucks is worth it.

Make sense... Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
In the DOC, unless you have a specialty job such as, SOG, training or Central Transport, you're not issued a weapon. In towers the mags are loaded to capacity, but unloaded for count each shift. Unscheduled trips, escapes and mobile patrols are issued as needed, empty mags and ammo trays standard. We load our own. So, the springs in our mags are pretty well flexed and relieved on a regular basis. Good thing. Our arsenals are getting rather old. All of our H&K USP's have been cycled through the training department. All have had thousands of rounds through them and in them.

I believe the constant use of the mags are what has accounted for the longevity of our weapons. That being said, we are starting to see some mag problems but because of maintenance not breakage.

Years ago, I did notice a problem feeding with my old Beretta that I owned for 20 years. Only had it with one of my mags and that was the one I used to keep max loaded in a dresser draw for home back-up. None of the other mags, occasionally reloaded, ever caused a FTL.

Back then eBay wasn't really in play yet so the mag was discarded. A very expensive proposition today.

I recommend a full mag. But I also recommend you cycle your mags at least once a month. And if you're a range rat. Don't bother at all. Mark your mags so you can track which is which. Keep them clean. Spring steel will rust, unless stainless (our problem with the dept. mags). But if you clean them, go easy on any oil. Spring steel is also porous and oil will seep into the metal. To much oil and you can shorten the service life of that spring. No need to oil stainless springs. It's a case of a little is a lot. And oiled springs will catch dirt and grit which will affect loading.

If you have a FTL, check your grip first. If you have another, clean the mag. Another would indicate a new spring. A relatively inexpensive item from outlets like www.glockstore.com.

Here's a test for you. Make sure your gun and magazine is EMPTY. Insert the EMPTY mag. Turn the gun upside down. Now hit the mag release. The mag should pop up about at least 1/4-1/2 inch. If everything has already been cleaned, replace the spring.

Also if you bought a used Glock, especially a Gen2, I'd recommend replacing at least one spring each paycheck if money is tight.

If your going to own something that you might depend on for your life, make sure it's dependable.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That not to fully load your mag, for example if your mag can have 15 rounds, you should only carry 12-13 rounds. This is to not wear off your spring over time, especially if you don't go to the range often and leave your rounds inside the mag a long time?
This is, now, an old wive's tale. It may have been true a few decades ago, but metal technology has greatly improved and this is not true.

The only magazine spring failures I've had is one that I somehow managed to leave loaded for 9 or 10 years in the safe. It still worked, just not very well and it got replaced. The others were all on a Walther P99 that I bought used. The gun was only 2 years old. I had no idea on the history of it, though it looked to have very little use. All 3 magazines had springs that failed to lock back the slide on empty. They fed fine and worked perfectly otherwise, so they probably aren't really "failures" per se.

I always have a fully loaded mag in the gun and my back ups are fully loaded as well. If I wanted a 10 round magazine, I'd buy one; my 12 round magazines get 12 rounds put in them. My magazines stay loaded all the time, at least for whatever guns are in current rotation. If the gun isn't carried or on HD duty, it sits empty in the safe and its magazines sit empty in the magazine box.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.