Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to guns. I would like to show my love of firearms by wearing caps and shirts. However, I can see how this could make you a target in a violent situation. If you are wearing a Glock hat (or whatever logo for a gun or ammo company, which is why I posted in general firearms--this is not a "Glock" issue) then a violent criminal might be thinking "I will shoot that guy first because he might be carrying."

However, I can see the opposite effect happening. Say a guy goes in a store to case the place and he sees you wearing your (insert gun company here) hat. He may think "that guy probably has a concealed weapon--time to move on."

I am planning on getting a CCW at some point, but you do not necessarily want to show the world that you love guns... or do you? The best use of a CCW is when a violent criminal does not know that anyone present has a gun. If you are doing a good job concealing you gun, likely everyone will be surprised when you drawn down during a deadly situation. If you have to shoot someone, how is it going to look to jurors when you when taken in wearing a shirt with a gun logo on it?

I am curious about what other people think about this issue, and I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I have a lot of gun-related shirts and ballcaps and in fact have a jacket festooned with gun-related patches, no problem at all wearing them.

It's like you meet guys all over with camo ballcaps that say Winchester and such, and get the idea that they are hunters based on the ballcap, but it does not mean they are carrying their 30-06 right that moment.

I am careful about where I go when I wear certain t-shirts (I have a couple that say various things like: "All-American Infidel: Death to Islamic Terrorists" and "I Reckon Its Time We Start Playing Cowboy And Illegal Immigrant" and the like), because the shirt itself can provoke a situation.

What I am more concerned about are gun-related stickers on cars, especially since when one goes someplace, the car is left unattended (possibly for hours at a time), and if in certain places this becomes an invitation to break into the car to get the gun (for instance an airport parking lot, where guns are not generally allowed in the terminal building, a potential theif would know that the gun is left in the car). That being said, I have a number of cars, and I have a number of stickers on only one of my cars.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it is about like any other shirt. People may or may not assume I am a New York Yankee if I wear a Yankee shirt.

If I see a Glock hat I can rationalize that that person might be carrying concealed, but what if he is a homeless guy who got the hat as a donation?

I think we can form opinions based on clothing, but it isn't always definitive.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
14,133 Posts
I tend to wear firearm company logo shirts and hats on occassion,

but, like HS1 has pointed out...nothing that can provoke a negative encounter.

And, depending on the time of year ( which hunting season it is ), hell... I blend in !!

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
The answer is yes and no. It is all about blending and being invisible in plain sight. If the attire will not accomplish this than it is not appropriate.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I generally only wear that kind of stuff to the range and gun shows. I never had a problem wearing my Border Patrol shirt in public and I did wear my Infidel shirt to vote in 2010. Outside of that, though, I generally keep it generic when I'm out and about. Urban camoflauge isn't those ugly BDUs, it's jeans and a t-shirt that's completely unremarkable.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll wear that stuff to the range or firearm event but not on a regular basis. My daily street clothes tell nothing about me and that's the way I like it.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Concerned about wearing shirts and caps, in some places and environments maybe it is wise not to be an attention grabber. In most cases though… I wear my gun, I OC a lot. Frankly, what my shirt says means nothing when I have my Glock on my hip. When I do carry, I make sure to have a positive look to myself, e.g. I don't wear hoodies, sagging pants, or the sideways cap thing. and I always respond when people say "good morning" or hello, with a smile.

HS1 where did you get your "cowboys and illegals" shirt? I want one!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll wear that stuff to the range or firearm event but not on a regular basis. My daily street clothes tell nothing about me and that's the way I like it.
That makes sense. If I am wearing a Glock hat and I am involved in a self-defense situation with a firearm, someone is going to get a free hat. :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
Do you mean this shirt?

If there is enough interest, I can print them....
Yes indeed! If you make it in a 5xl.

·
Premium Member
5,882 Posts
I was tempted to put this target in my window as a deterrent, but my wife objected...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Some things are more an issue than others. My Glock hat usually is for the range, while my Blackhawk cap goes anywhere. Mostly I don't worry about it. As for car decals, I just don't like to put anything on my car though I thought about the NRA decal and now I'm thinking not.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If I'm out and about all I want people to see is a cowboy. I'm carrying and nobody knows but me. About the only logo thing I wear is my Aggie cap....... Ok. Let the Aggie jokes commence!( Its a Texas thang)

·
Registered
239 Posts
sgtglock said:
If I'm out and about all I want people to see is a cowboy. I'm carrying and nobody knows but me. About the only logo thing I wear is my Aggie cap....... Ok. Let the Aggie jokes commence!( Its a Texas thang)
^^^^^^blahhhhh^^^^^

Hook em' Horns!!!

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Huh. Hey, if a thug happens to select me as his potential victim *after* seeing me sporting some sort of clothing advertising a gun/ammo manufacturer, that is one freaking stupid thug.

That said, I do not wear anything that advertises gun or ammo manufacturers in any way. Nor do I hang used targets on the front door or on my car. Why? Because you never know who might want to break into your home/vehicle after everyone leaves to see what kind of gun stuff they can get their hands on.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Only thing I have on my truck is bullet hole stickers on my tailgate. The look on people's faces are priceless when pass me. They have been on there for a long time. Like the others I wear the shirts and hats, but I'm cautious how and where I wear them. Most of all of us eyes are scanning everywhere we go all day long. More than the regular "joe" I think. I could point out more things before my family and friends can. They say I'm paranoid, I tell them I'm always looking for a way out and being aware of my surroundings. Only reason they notice is because I show them specially the wife and kids. We all should be able to wear what we want to proudly. In this day in time…well you all know how that is.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I do carry, I make sure to have a positive look to myself, e.g. I don't wear hoodies, sagging pants, or the sideways cap thing. and I always respond when people say "good morning" or hello, with a smile.
This is dead on, IMO. If you can wear a gun manufacture's hat or shirt and maintain that positive look and pleasant attitude, it can send a good message about gun owners to the public. As far as attire making you a target for a thug.....I practice situational awareness everywhere I go. If a thug is close enough to read what I have on a hat or shirt, I've already spotted him as a potential threat and am ready for what ever he brings on. That sounded macho and arrogant I know, but I don't mean it that way. Just saying that I am ready.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts