Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for iron sights for a Glock 40. It is going to be a hunting and long range (out to 100 yards) pistol, so I want to get sights that are good for distance. I have seen trijicon hd xr, I like them but can not find them in stock. Will I need to get different sight dimensions than I would for a Glock 20 because the slide is longer ?. What iron sights will be good for hunting and distance shooting ?

·
Low speed High drag
2,960 Posts
Are there really some iron pistol sights for a Glock that are better for 100 yard accuracy than others ? I guess I'm having a real hard time understanding that.
Different heights, adjustable rear,thinner front sight. It really depends on the shooter. Some even like ghost rings. 100yards is hard even with 10mm,but it can be done. I shoot a steel plate that's at 100yards on a good day I can get 2- 3 outta 10 rounds to hit. If my front sight was thinner I'd do better. If the target was larger I'd be fine also....lol!
Personally I wouldn't hunt that far out with a 10mm,but others may be better shots than me.
6 inch barrel will also help.
I shoot a 1911 in 10mm currently, but have used a glock 21 with 10mm upper with a lone wolf tactical barrel and slide which are just under 6inches.

·
Low speed High drag
2,960 Posts
I'm looking for iron sights for a Glock 40. It is going to be a hunting and long range (out to 100 yards) pistol, so I want to get sights that are good for distance. I have seen trijicon hd xr, I like them but can not find them in stock. Will I need to get different sight dimensions than I would for a Glock 20 because the slide is longer ?. What iron sights will be good for hunting and distance shooting ?
Any front sight with tritium is gonna be to thick to get a clean shot at 100yards. Your gonna want to look at a plain front,gold bead,or possibly fiber. You may also try a a rmr or something like it if money allows.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Any front sight with tritium is gonna be to thick to get a clean shot at 100yards. Your gonna want to look at a plain front,gold bead,or possibly fiber. You may also try a a rmr or something like it if money allows.

And welcome to the forum!
What he said.

Reactions: 202

·
Low speed High drag
2,960 Posts
For hunting you may want to stay to 50-70yards. I don't know how much power you'll have out at 100yards. At 100yards you're looking at minimal drop(I'd guess 4inch at most)using 180gr ammo. Now I guess that could change if you use +P or +p+.? You got the barrel length to take full advantage of the 10mm round so it's gonna come down to skill,ammo,and sights/optic.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
For hunting you may want to stay to 50-70yards. I don't know how much power you'll have out at 100yards. At 100yards you're looking at minimal drop(I'd guess 4inch at most)using 180gr ammo. Now I guess that could change if you use +P or +p+.? You got the barrel length to take full advantage of the 10mm round so it's gonna come down to skill,ammo,and sights/optic.

I agree. I see handgun hunting as a 50 yards and less distance.
Is 10mm effective at 100 yards for hunting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all the replies and for welcoming me to the forum. I don't intend to hunt out to 100 yards, but I would like the capability to shoot out to 100 yards for range and for increasing my skill. I like the dawson precision option that a few have suggested, what is the best way for me to calculate the dimensions to set for the sights? I know I want a thinner front post and a slightly wider rear, but am unsure how to calculate what exact dimensions. I like the idea of having night sights, but it is not necessary, the trijicon hd xr seem like a good option, however I cannot find any in stock for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look at the Dawson fiber optic sights. I run a plain black rear with a fiber front.
I like the looks of the Dawson's and I am thinking those are what I will get. I am debating between a black rear sight and red fiber optic front, or the green fiber optic rear sight and red front sight.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
I like the looks of the Dawson's and I am thinking those are what I will get. I am debating between a black rear sight and red fiber optic front, or the green fiber optic rear sight and red front sight.
Everyones eyes are different, some folks red tends to blur where as green less so, my best suggestion is to try both and let your eyes tell you which is best

Reactions: 202 and Danzig
1 - 20 of 39 Posts