Discolored gun/damage?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Hoopinator, Jul 10, 2012.

1. I recently think I did something stupid. This in itself isn't a huge surprise.

First things first, the stock cleaning 'nylon brush' doesn't adequately remove deposits on the barrel and ejection port.

I used a metal (copper I think) brush..which slightly discolored the gun. I probably should not have done this. I don't know if I accidentally stripped the finish off of the receiver and barrel or if I just rubbed some of the copper off on it.

I make sure to keep it lightly oiled...as I don't want it to rust or cause any other issues.

What the heck should I use to scrub at this thing in the future? Did I royally screw up, or only slightly?

I'll try to post some pics when I get home.

Thanks!

2. I suggest you get something like CLP or Ballistol

3. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I'm pretty sure you will be just fine, use a little non-acetone fingernail polish remover, may not even need that, wipe it off and then apply your gun oil.
    You didn't mess up, it will come off.

4. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Are you talking about the outside of the barrel?

Did you brush "Dry". Definitely use some kind of solvent (CLP, HOppes 9). FOr the outer surfaces, use stiff nylon brush after you've put solvent on the deposit you're trying to get rid of. You may not even need the brush, most stuff just wipes off with solvent.

Look on the bright side, it's a good excuse to polish your barrel or get your slide recoated (can be sent to glock for refinishing).

Any pictures? It MAY be no big deal.

HTH
    D

5. Sorry, sent prematurely.

I stay away from any metal brushes personally. I do not shoot lead bullets.

Anyway, my cleaning suggestion is to get some good gun solvent/lube and soak your barrel and other metal parts for 15-30 minutes. I place all metal parts in a ziplock sandwich bag, spray the heck out of them with Ballistol, and let them soak for at least 30 minutes every time I clean the guns.

When I take them out, I scrub any carbon off with an old toothbrush. Everything comes off.

Using Ballistol, I have found it seems to have a cumulative effect, where the crud comes off easier every time I clean the gun.

Lots of guys here Also swear by CLP and Hoppes 9 as well. I personally think the trick to removing carbon deposits is the same as carbon deposits on burned cookware...let the carbon soak for a while.

Not sure what to do about any discoloration you may have caused, but if you keep your gun clean and very lightly oiled, you will be okay.

6. Well thats a good thing.... The consensus is I didn't totally screw up... And I do use hoppes...

The gun's almost brand new and I'm not parting with it even for a little while for refinishing. Heheh.

Love this forum!

Thanks.

7. So is it not a good idea to use metal brushes at all? I know it sounds weird, but I love to clean this thing. I IWB carry often and I've noticed a lot of lint and particulate gets inside... Which me no likey.

8. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I only use metal bore brushes, plastic or nylon else where.
    You probably have a gold looking stain you are worried about and as said before, use the non-acetone fingerpolish remover wipe the area clean and apply your gun oil, it will be just fine.
    Next time use nylon brush. : )

9. glockguy

glockguy New Member

I agree with this/\/\/\/\ I only use a plastic or nylon brush on all my guns. I will at times use a copper bore brush if the bore is real dirty..

10. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    That's what you do with your old toothbrushes.

BTW; Obama approves!

image-3519301545.jpg

11. Copper or bronze brushes are softer than the Tenifer finish so it rubbed off in tour GLOCK. Use them on the inside of the barrel only. Use the nylon brushes on everything else. It will come off with future cleanings.

12. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I carry inside the waistband as well. The lint particles will not hurt the gun, but like you I don't like them! I use some computer air cleaner to blow them right out :)

13. 10mil

10mil Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!

GA
    I thought i was the only person who did that lol

14. 03Armory

03Armory New Member

Lol I do it too. I also use it on my AR to blow out the excess oil out of the chamber. Then I bore snake it. More gun shops should sell the air in a bottle

15. 10mil

10mil Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!

GA
    Got mine from cvs lol