Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I was looking at Glock Training web site a few days ago, saw available seats at a class very close to me & I'm now officially a certified Glock Armorer.

It was a very interesting experience - I'll post my impressions later today when I'm at a real keyboard instead of my phone.

Cheers.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Great job!! I loved my first Glock Armorer's course.

·
Registered
547 Posts
UMmmm I am waiting on the crazy part......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
UMmmm I am waiting on the crazy part......
Lol nothing crazy really. I saw the class, I had some free time and took a plunge. I'm not in LE or a gunsmith, have only one Glock and work in a totally firearms unrelated field of work. One of those spur of the moment things...

About the class in case anybody is interested. Basically the class is only open to LE/Military people along with Glock Dealers, with the exception of regular citizens who have a GSSF membership. It lasts a whole day 8-5 with a few short breaks and a lunch break.

We were all given a Gen3 G17 to work with and a good 80% of the class time was hands on. Everybody who attended also were given a Glock punch tool, an engagement tool, armorer's book & addendums. Basically we worked on how to properly assemble disassemble everything on the gun, replace springs, maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning etc. We also worked on how to do a function/safety check on triggers, firing pins and so forth. Then the instructor purposely made us install some things wrong or totally not install them at all to demonstrate on "what if' scenarios.

All and all it was a positive experience. Our instructor Alex Cobb was top notch. True professional and very nice person. He brought us a few items to check out such as bulged barrels, exploded barrels, polymers with dog bite marks, broken/abused misc parts. And also my favorite a Glock G18C, which I get to hold and snap a pic of it. :)

Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Bocadan said:
Lol nothing crazy really. I saw the class, I had some free time and took a plunge. I'm not in LE or a gunsmith, have only one Glock and work in a totally firearms unrelated field of work. One of those spur of the moment things...

About the class in case anybody is interested. Basically the class is only open to LE/Military people along with Glock Dealers, with the exception of regular citizens who have a GSSF membership. It lasts a whole day 8-5 with a few short breaks and a lunch break.

We were all given a Gen3 G17 to work with and a good 80% of the class time was hands on. Everybody who attended also were given a Glock punch tool, an engagement tool, armorer's book & addendums. Basically we worked on how to properly assemble disassemble everything on the gun, replace springs, maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning etc. We also worked on how to do a function/safety check on triggers, firing pins and so forth. Then the instructor purposely made us install some things wrong or totally no install them at all to demonstrate on "what if' scenarios.

All and all it was a positive experience. Our instructor Alex Cobb was top notch. True professional and very nice person. He brought us a few items to check out such as bulged barrels, exploded barrels, polymers with dog bite marks, broken/abused misc parts. And also my favorite a Glock G18C, which I get to hold and snap a pic of it. :)

Hey, I think I was in your class. Was it in Palm Springs Police on 31 July? If so, I'm the guy who convinced them to change it from LE only to include civilians.

I enjoyed the class!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup I was in the same class too! What a coincidence... I was all the way at the front row, middle of the class. There was a heavyset young LEO in a red colored tshirt who also arranged food etc - and I was sitting next to him, to his right.

I enjoyed the class too.

I owe you thanks for convincing them to let non LE join too. Otherwise the next class was months and another 30 miles away.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Bocadan said:
Yup I was in the same class too! What a coincidence... I was all the way at the front row, middle of the class. There was a heavyset young LEO in a red colored tshirt who also arranged food etc - and I was sitting next to him, to his right.

I enjoyed the class too.

I owe you thanks for convincing them to let non LE join too. Otherwise the next class was months and another 30 miles away.

I was two rows directly behind the LEO. Wearing a brown button down shirt and blue jeans. I almost stuck a Glock forum sticker on my notebook that I was writing down the "you might want to make a note of this" notes. My drive was far, from Cape Canaveral area, and over 145 miles. Was very sleepy that evening.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Alex Cobb was my instructor when I took the class a few months back (March if I recall). He does an excellent job.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congratulations! Great class. What did you think of the "New York" trigger spring you had to install? We all thought it was pretty awful.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Actually you deserve a pat on the back, if they have a armorers course close by I will be in it.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Blackmagic02 said:
Congratulations! Great class. What did you think of the "New York" trigger spring you had to install? We all thought it was pretty awful.
I disliked it, but I can see how anyone with only revolver experience may fear that the trigger on a Glock could cause problems for a previously-revolver-only force. But to be honest, there are many things about NYC and the surrounding suburbs I don't agree with (having been raised there, I can talk)

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Bocadan said:

it was pure economics. I showed them how it would fill up, and fill up it did!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alex Cobb was my instructor when I took the class a few months back (March if I recall). He does an excellent job.
Agreed - he was truly top notch. I'm pretty sure all Glock Armorer Instructors are probably as good as him, but if anyone asks me whose class they should take if they were presented the option, my vote is on Mr. Cobb...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing nice about the NY springs were how easy were they to install and take them out. I really wished they had a "+" connector in hand so I could toss the orange NY trigger in there and torture myself to a probably 40lbs trigger pull but the manual says no-no and I wasn't too masochistic that day :)

Seriously though, I just can't understand how this is not a liability on State of NY's behalf. I'm picturing a LEO getting hurt on duty, or even a civilian in a situation where their strong hand is incapacitated during an altercation, and not being able to return fire because the gun has been modified per "state requirements". I can actually smell the lawsuit "Had the state not forced me to modify my firearm, I could have protected xyz and the perp would have been dead instead of xyz". Replace xyz with loved one, another LEO, innocent bystander etc...

Obviously I'm not a lawyer but when Glock or any other company designs a spring, they don't go out and purposely make the damn things fire just by imagining the word "fire!". One of the reasons I'm glad I don't live in NY...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually you deserve a pat on the back, if they have a armorers course close by I will be in it.
I really recommend it. True a lot of them can be picked up from Youtube, but it's a great experience seeing a Glock person show you the tips, tricks & the ways...

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Bocadan said:
Next time you swing by the South, remind me to treat you to a 6 pack - truly appreciated :)
Or you to central FL, we grab a beer (after we shoot at the range)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Were you allowed to keep the Glock 17 that you worked on? How much did the class cost?

We were all given a Gen3 G17 to work with and a good 80% of the class time was hands on. Everybody who attended also were given a Glock punch tool, an engagement tool, armorer's book & addendums. Basically we worked on how to properly assemble disassemble everything on the gun, replace springs, maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning etc. We also worked on how to do a function/safety check on triggers, firing pins and so forth. Then the instructor purposely made us install some things wrong or totally not install them at all to demonstrate on "what if' scenarios.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
The class sounds cool. Wish they had"open" ones up here in the Philly area.

As for the NY trigger springs, the NY1 is not bad. I run them in all of my Glocks. The reset feels more positive.

D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts