Detail Strip and Clean

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by unit44justin, Mar 18, 2012.

1. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

So I just picked up a G23 gen4 earlier today, and immediately went to the range and got her bucking. I also own a G22 gen 4 and had put about 500 rounds through before I detail striped that and gave it a good cleaning and frog lube treatment. I only put 110 rounds through the G23 today. My question it will it hurt anything if I detail strip the G23 and clean it all up and treat it with the frog lube? Everything with my G22 is nice and smooth compared to the G23. Or should I put a few hundred rounds through to continue to break it in?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

To answer your question...a field strip and lube of the G23 will be benefical.

Also moved this thread to the Gunsmithing sub forum...

3. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Thanks I also should have probably worded it a bit differently by saying will I be wasting my time doing this as I haven't put it through a full break in yet.

4. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

I lubed my 19 and 30 before firing it the first time. But my 19 had well over 1500 rounds through it before I did a detail strip and clean.

5. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

The more you pull a gun apart and put it back together, the better you know your firearm. It can never hurt (unless you can't get it back together). ;)

6. bagozzi46

bagozzi46 New Member

Or if you have extra parts when your done...

7. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

I don't think you're going to help or hurt the gun by detail stripping it after only a few hundred rounds through it. If you've never torn down a Glock pistol before, you'll learn quite a bit from it.

8. totally +1... I hate this phenomenon.

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Your gun needs no breakin period. What most new GLOCK owners need is to get familiar with their newly aqquired tool. Simply following the owners manual and doing a feild strip cleaning will help you and the weapon.

10. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

I am familiar with detail stripping the slide and the frame with my G22 and after I did that everything ran so much more smooth compared to my G23 out of the box it felt gritty; the way the slide racked and the trigger. I also had 500ish rounds through the G22 and was unsure if this had helped smooth out the trigger and slide. It could have even been from the frog lube. I detail stripped the G23 and treated it with frog lube and it seems to run a little more smooth but I'll have to run it through a range session to be sure.

11. sportfisher47

sportfisher47 New Member

I oiled my 19 before i first fired it. And I've put about 1500 rounds through it since, never had a jam up yet. But I guess I should give her a little cleaning behind her ears:D

12. Junior-G-man

Junior-G-man Beak 'em Hawks!

The other day I detail stripped the slide on my 19. I sprayed it out real good with the aerosol CLP, let it drip for a while then blew it out with the air hose. After that I washed it out with Dawn detergent and a little scrubbing with a tooth brush under HOT tap water and blew it dry with the air hose.

I didn't detail strip the frame yet...kinda skeerd...but I will. Anyways, I gave it the same treatment as the slide. Now it's all squeaky clean, and I lubed it all up...sparingly with CLP.

my gun is happy now and so am I! :D

That CLP sure works great and that's all I will use from now on!

13. Nice. To me, frame is easier to strip than the slide. You shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

14. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I detail stripped my 23 for the first time ever on Sunday at 3am.
    It went smooth.

15. dhackler

dhackler New Member

Whenever you buy a gun you should clean it before you shoot it. The grease that comes on it is a preservative not a lube.

16. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Glocks come from the factory ready to eat ammunition. But as a new or experienced firearms handler it is your responsiblity to ensure the weapon is safe and ready to fire. It should go without saying, "New owners need to read the owners manual." Most GLOCKS NIB, clear the bore and get at it! I think that is why they provide the bore brush, buy the gun and go shoot it!:D

17. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

Some guy at gander told me to shoot 200 rounds before cleaning the gold grease.
    Either way it got cleaned.

18. You know it took me my 6th Glock(current G30) before I detail stripped the frame of one. You know what, there's nothing to be afraid of, these guns are so simple that a 5 year old could detail strip one. It's 3 pins, locking block, slide stop and lift out the fire control parts(which comes out as a unit so nothing will get lost) and you're close enough for government work. Sure, you can pull a few other parts out of the frame but you really don't need to just to clean things up.
    I say grab a small punch(something .115" or smaller since the trigger housing pin is .118" and you don't want to open the hole up any by using a too larger punch) and go for it. Today's the day, get in there and detail strip that gun, you can do it.:D

19. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

The "grease" in Glocks is most definitely a lubricant. Loctite C5A, copper-based high-temperature anti-seize. It's some good stuff; I use it on certain parts of several of my guns.

20. When I worked at Rockwell Automation in the ReOp Dept. we'd put stuff together using the Copper Anti-Seize, I still have a couple small packets of it left over. You can also get a silver color Anti-Seize from your local Auto Parts store to use on the slide rails of your gun if you want to.