Glock Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
it was not directed at you, I say all forums and if you follow me in other forums you'll see I've said it before, I should have ended the original post with. :)
Hi, ca survivor!

Sorry I misunderstood.

Happy shooting!

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am primarily a backwoods kind of guy, camping, fly fishing, bow hunting etc. and the answer I'm looking for is which of my Glockies is best suited as an everyday woods carry pistol sufficient for deer hunting backup.

Please...I have 1/2 a century as a pistol hunter and need no lectures on caliber basics and Internet wisdom experiences. I have taken game in most hunting suitable calibers from .357 mag. through .454 Casull plus various Contenders in rifle loads. I understand the nuances.

So lets stick to the specifics of my situation. Constant carry, usually under parka, jacket, fishing vest or chest waders and a smaller/lighter gun is needed. This gun may never actually get used for it's intended purpose, so no I'm not going to buy another (mdl 40 10mm) just for this use. Instead, which of my existing Glocks is best suited to add an extended length barrel (necessary to make my State's 5 1/2" barrel restriction for a hunting pistol)?

I can get hot .357s, .40s or .45s that close in on 500 FPE (or load .45 Supers that nudge the 10mm)...but energy/performance/penetration data is all geared to humanoids and short range, and 500fpe is pretty marginal as a deer shooter.

What I suspect is that as shot distances get longer the fatter/heavier bullets slow and energy drops off quickly, the .357 will start to deliver better results in comparison.

Will it? Does good support data exist?

Does the .357 SIG's speed and penetration (with the proper bullet) make it the better Glock to deliver power out in the 75 yard + range?
Look just get a longer barrel for your glock that is 40s&w. Underwood has a load that is a q55gr xtp at 1300fps, and with the longer barrel it might actually do a bit more than that!!! Also the xtp will hold up very well to the speed and get good penetration!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let me cut to the end in my opinion...with quality rounds like Underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo with Hornady XTP or Lehigh Extreme Penetrators, I don’t think it matters much.

The ultimate choice would depend on the gun/round you can most reliably put bullets into a 4” circle at the given hunting distance.

My $0.02...
Exactly and the underwood 155gr xtp at 1300fps in a glock 22 is getting almost 600ftlbs of energy, let alone when he puts longer barrel, and that load will get potentially 650ftlbs or a bit more, then he's in 10mm territory for energy, and that xtp will penetrate well, and he's not at the bottom of 10mm, but right in the middle!!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts