Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by MtnCCW, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MtnCCW

MtnCCW Active Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I have a couple of GSSF certificates, one of which I have to use by the end of this year, and another by next April.

Currently I own one Glock, a Gen4 G21. It is one of my favorite guns, period. I’ve even carried it IWB on occasion, particularly during cooler months, and find it quite comforting.

Also owned (and gave to a friend) a G22. It was my first Glock, and liked it very much. I found the recoil a bit snappier than the G21, but plenty nice to shoot.

One of the GSSF certificates will almost certainly go for a G42, which will likely be frequently loaned to my gf.

The second purchase is what I’m trying to decide.

I don’t hunt, but around my gf’s farm there is a very real potential of having to deal with stray dogs in packs as well as coyotes, who have on at least one occasion attacked her goat herd.

I have L - XL hands, and tend to shoot full-size models better.
    Pretty well covered in the compact division, with my Kahr P9 (and the upcoming G42).

Also own a Walther P22, a Walther PPQ M2 5” 9mm, a Kimber 1911, a S&W 686 6”, and a Sig P220. And some long guns.

So when looking over the Glock website and this forum, for some reason my eye wanders to the G20SF.

The 40 looks pretty nice too, and is 80 bucks more than the 20.

Either one would be carried in a chest holster around the farm.

Not crazy about the idea of stocking another type of ammo, but with improved prices and availability of 10mm ammo, it seems to make more sense. At least to me.

I’m interested in hearing the thoughts of those who’ve at least tried and maybe own the G20 or G40. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-winded post.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say if you want another gun to possibly carry get the 20. If you want it for range or outdoors woods carry get the 40. I love my 20. It's my home defense and woods carry pistol.[​IMG]

Bayonet was bought as a joke for pic. I also recently bought the 29 gen.4.

[​IMG]

MtnCCW and SeventiesWreckers like this.

3. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

Love my G21 Gen 4 and also have large hands preferring full size pistols but I became comfortable with my G30 Gen 4 and 30S even with the flush 9 round mag I prefer for carry. If wanting to stay same caliber but better carry option the 30 might work.

Wouldn’t 45 ACP be enough for dogs? Especially XP.

Don’t get me wrong. Any excuse to get a 20 or 29 fine by me. I keep coming up with why not just to stop buying guns.

4. MtnCCW

Thanks. Don’t know that I’d carry it IWB, but sounds like the 20 offers more flexibility in that regard. Back to the LGS to put my hands on both of them.
    Love the bayonet!

Lucian_253 likes this.
  5. MtnCCW

You are correct - .45 ACP is most definitely enough for canids, and probably most anything else I’m likely to run into here in the VA piedmont.

I have three .45s already, two 9mms, and so was thinking of something different...

Pretty weak excuse, I know.

GARRIGA likes this.
  6. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

That works for me. Has to be a G20. That’s one bad ass piece of leave me alone. :)

MtnCCW likes this.
  7. MtnCCW

Plus 10mm ammo prices are so much more reasonable than they used to be. Why not, right?

Lucian_253 and GARRIGA like this.
  8. Lucian_253

MtnCCW likes this.
  9. MtnCCW

Oh my. You weren’t kidding.

10. Lucian_253

The 20 I want someday.

[​IMG]

SeventiesWreckers likes this.
  11. I really like my Gen4 G20, so i say that's what you should get!

dutchs and SeventiesWreckers like this.
  12. MtnCCW

Yeah, I think I see where this is headed...

13. Lucian_253

Buy a Glock 20?

14. MtnCCW

Looking like it. Again, I’ll go to the LGS and put hands on both the 20 and the 40, but the 20 sounds like the more practical choice for me.
    I’ll post (with pics, of course) once I do it. Probably after the first of the year.
    Thanks for the advice!

SeventiesWreckers and Lucian_253 like this.
  15. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

One good thing with the 20, 40, or a 29 is the ability to shoot cheap .40 S&W ammo, either by using a conversion barrel or out of the stock barrel.

The 21 is hard to beat however. If you don't want to add additional calibers/magazines, you may want to look at the 41. It would also make an excellent woods carry gun.

16. MtnCCW

Agreed, the 21 is hard to beat. Hadn’t considered a G41, which looks quite nice as well. As you suggest, there’s something to be said for staying within my current caliber set. On the other hand, sometimes it’s fun to diversify, which is what has me leaning toward a 10mm.

Ideally I’d find someone or a range locally that has a 20 or 40 (maybe both!) that I could try out. As a transplant I don’t know many other handgun shooters around here yet, but I’ll have to ask around. We’ll see how it goes.

17. Lucian_253

I have the 21sf & 20. IMHO, you should have both. My must have Glock list is the 19, 21, 20.