Dave Grossman

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by AuxSix, Apr 11, 2012.

1. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

A coworker has recommended Lt Col Grossman's books. I have listened to some of Bulletproof Mind Seminar and was wanting to take a quick opinion poll on his work. Good, bad, or otherwise what do you think?

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Great work. I've attended a couple of his seminars, very interesting and useful ideals on the use of deadly force and the aftermath.

'On Killing' is an awesome look into the impact of taking another's life.

I don't buy into his beliefs on video games and movies being a cause of youth violence, but alot of his work is very insightful and intriguing

3. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

The video game idea was really discouraging me. On Combat and On Killing are his two known works but there is a newer one he collaborated with called Warrior Mindset I was going to start with. Good place to start you think?

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Warrior mindset is the one of the 3 that will give the most useful information in terms of translating into use of force and deadly force. It delves into fight or flight bodily ractions like tunnel vision, fine muscle control loose, auditory exclusion, breathing control and the heart rate bell curve of performance.

The on killing and on combat are more of examining the psychological effects of taking a life.

5. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

The phrase exceptionally helpful barely begins to describe your posts. I very much appreciate them thank you!

6. c1328chase

c1328chase Member

Friend of mine was reading "On Killing". He told me it was great. I planned to read it and "On Combat" this summer. I have no time to read anything for pleasure because school has me reading world lit, Marx, Engels, Freud, Fromm, so on and so on. It looks like I now have a third book to add to the list. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

"the gift of fear" (which i got in the free bin at 2nd&Charles) is one everyone should take the time to check out. I also recently got "rampage: a social roots of school shootings" can't wait to get into it also.

7. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Saw Col. Grossman at the Academy....great speaker. VERY passionate about his topics and very good information. Definitely recommended.