Daily runners

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by glockguy13, May 10, 2012.

1. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

Just got back from running. Wanted to know how many people out there enjoy running? How far? What ever you feel like sharing about the topic

2. jtk07

jtk07 New Member

Ill get involved here :) but first a little background: the last weekend in September 2011 my wife and I said enough was enough and decided to get off the couch and out of the restaurants. Since then we have both lost roughly 85+ # 's (I'm down to 213# from 298#) we work out daily and have changed our diets and life styles completely and have gone nearly 95% organic. We run/jog/walk on average 3-5 miles a day preparing for an outdoor endurance race "run the jailbreak" (we did this once before). I am now smaller than I was 5 years ago before we got married. Its been one heck of a ride! We still have a ways to go but life is great and God is good!

GlockGuy13 - How far did you go? Training or just for good health?

3. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

I run between 2 and 7 miles and do speed training when I need to. Been running to be in tip top shape for army basic training. Wanna go to ranger school after infantry and airborne

4. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

Oh and Congrats on the weight loss. I know it's not easy from watching family do the same thing

5. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Ohio
    I run every morning approx 5 miles, have been doing this for years. I have a friend on my department (police) that runs with me, and we have competed in many marathons and the Ohio Police and Fire games, and have both won medals.

I also do weight training 3 times a week, just to keep myself in the best condition that I can possibly be.

6. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

Yeah I'm trying to get in the best shape possible. Wanna max out my personal fitness test before I ship

7. runman

runman New Member

With my screen name I should probably weigh in here. I have been an avid runner for about the last 12 years. I run at least 5 days a week and usually between 25-50 miles per week. I've completed about 35 marathons and about 10 ultramarathons (anything greater than the standard 26.2 miles). Done quite a few 50 milers but have failed at two attempts at 100 miles (dropped at 85 miles). Lots of fun and the health and wellness benefits are a bonus. Gotta run...

8. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

That's crazy running man. Wanna get that way some day.

9. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

I love running and head out most everyday - and have for many years now. Time and distance vary, but even on days when time is limited, a short run is better than sitting on the couch.

I run mostly on the roads, but much prefer trail runs.

It is even better when my 12 yr old comes with me or we pick and run a local 5K together.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  10. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

Great way to stay fit can't beat it. None of my family runs. I try to get them to come but dosent ever work out

11. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

I hear ya. Right now, only my oldest son runs with me, but I would like for the whole crew to come along from time to time...but not every time ;-)

12. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

Yeah sometimes it's nice to just get out and cruise and a good pace.

13. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

God i love to run!! I was doing 6 miles 5 days a week. First i got planters faciutous that took a year to heal although i kept running then my left knee popped really hard one day the next day i got up and it looked like a baseball, iced it stayed off running for a week went back witj a soft brace in two weeks i was limping so bad i could barely walk let alone run. I went to a surgeon who did the MRI and said i had a torn miniscus. I had the arthoscopic done and in the end i didnt have a torn miniscus, i had arthritis so bad in both knees it looked like torn miniscus because the bones were so peeled from arthritis it was tearing the muscles. So he did a cleanup job, told me i will be doing knee replacements within 10 years so now i ride bike. But god i love to run!!

14. glockguy13

glockguy13 New Member

Yep running is great but can be horrible for the knees and ankles.

15. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

I got back into running January 5th 2009. I made up my mind that enough was enough and there it began. I lost 40 pounds in a year. Part of it was a change in eating habits but most of the success was due to the running and lifting. I ran every other day and lifted in between.

Fast forward to now: I am like Dutchs; I have been suffering from Plantar Fasciitis. It is such a debilitating condition. From time to time it will subside and I will run again but it comes right back. I bought a brace that I sleep in that makes the mornings bearable. I have accepted that I am going to have to go to the doctor to have it looked at. I have been putting it off because I know what I'm going to hear. He's going to tell me that I'm going to have to rest it. It's hard to rest it though due to the amount of walking I do at work. It's not every day but some days I am on my feet a good part of the day which doesn't help things.

I miss running very much and can't wait to get back at it as soon as this plague leaves me!

16. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Not to be a stick in the mud but my doctor said you just have to wait for it to get better. Funny thing the only time it did was when i actually was running? Go figure!

17. Lugwrench

Lugwrench New Member

Like my rum!

Attached Files:

18. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

Exactly! If I run, it starts out a little tight but after a few minutes running, it loosens up and actually feels good. I pay for it the next day though.

19. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

I used to run constantly as a way to clear my head my weight went from 255 to 205 at 6'3 and would run 5 miles a day. Then bulked up for school to 240lbs at 6'4 1/2 for lacrosse and could still 3 1/2 miles in 30mins. Then my car accident happened, but now I'm getting better and hoping to get back into running!

20. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Good luck Glockit. You can do it!! Hows this, i am 5' 10-- 235! Was down to 195 running. Working on it again!