CWP Qualification with A 22 LR?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by taperguy, Mar 26, 2012.

1. taperguy

taperguy New Member

How do you feel about people qualifying for thier CWP using a 22 LR in place of a full power pistol that they intend to carry?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Depends...does your state issue this CWP for that specific weapon,

ie...will it say (insert manufacturer) .22 on the permit ?!

Also...don't you think they are aware people would pull that...??

3. taperguy

taperguy New Member

It is legal in SC but is it smart? Would you feel good about qualifying with a 22 LR because you couldn't shoot the 45 you want to carry?

4. SHOOTER13

Really...I surprised it's legal !

No...I myself would not do it !!

Only fooling yourself...

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

The NV CCW Permit qualification rules allow ANY semiatuo to be used to qualify for the semiauto class of pistols, and any revolver to qualify to carry any revolver.

Previously, until 1 July 2011, any revolver qualified for any other revolver, but each semi had to be fired to qualify to carry it, and was listed on the permit by make model and caliber.

We currently get people in class who will shoot a .22LR semi and a .22LR revolver, and under the current rules, when they receive their permit they can carry any revolver or semiauto regardless of make model or caliber. It is not a rule I personally agree with, my sentiments are that it is cheating by using an easy-to-shoot pistol to meet the qualification requirements, then turning around and carrying a hand cannon, but I do not make the laws and have no say in the formulation of same.

6. taperguy

taperguy New Member

I qualified with my 40 cal and I wouldn't have it any other way. I know of one instructor that qualifies all his students with 22 LR.

7. SHOOTER13

Then...what's the point of that ?!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. rexg23

rexg23 New Member

In Texas you can't use any semi under 380 or 32 can't remember exactly and no revolver smaller then 38 caliber and qualify with revolver that's all you can carry but if qualify with semi auto you can carry either one and you can carry any caliber you want after qualify doesn't specify caliber just type semi or revolver

9. taperguy

taperguy New Member

I think that it's better to have a 22 LR than no gun at all and in some circumstances a 22 LR would be the better choice. However as responsible CWP holders shouldn't we hold ourselves to the highest standards instead of the lowest?

10. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Marksmanship is marksmanship. Unless it is illegal to carry said .22, they should be allowed to use it to test. I personally wouldn't, but there is no reason to deny them the ability to do so.

Freedom. Not just "their" freedom, but "our" freedom. Even if we don't agree.