Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread on here and I'm looking for input on what kind of person I apparently am.

I posted on a different popular gun forum made specifically for my state and said I was kinda ticked off that I could go into WalMart and buy ammo without being carded.

Does that make me an "anti-gun enthusiast"? I was immediately ridiculed by the other members and a day later my inbox was littered with hate mail. Was this necessary? I am open to any and all criticism about anything in my life. I conceal carry or open carry an M&P every day and have carried ever since I was 18 (VA Laws) and am the most avid shooter of my friends and family. What does this forum ahve to say about that type of post?

p.s.- this is my first thread, so forgive me if there was a better place to post this than where ever I did post it and if a Mod/Admin can move it to where it makes mroe sense, please do.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Honestly Drew I see no reason why a person shouldn't be carded for Ammo. It is regulated by the ATF and it is a serious issue when in the wrong hands, they card for cigarettes, alcohol and many different controlled items and if you are legit why would you care anyway. Just my .02 BTW, If you get any hate mail here PM me and it will be stopped. Thanks for your contribution here and I think this is a great topic!!

·
Glocker
416 Posts
First off,thank you for saying you open carry in VA when you were 18,I've been googling for what seems like hours and have not had a straight forward answer. Now back to the topic. If a criminal want a gun,ammo. He/she will get it,regardless of where it is sold and the law. I bought ammo at gun shows when I was 16 and was never carded. Criminals will always get what they want,money talks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much. I've been treated with more respect and common courtesy on this site even though I didn't really start using it til today than I have on forums i've been a part of for years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And no problem Fuzzy, In VA you can own and open carry a firearm at age 18 (and own the ammo, obviously). Even though you can't legally buy them yourself. I was bombarded in a WAWA one day by three Henrico County police officers trying to tell me I was breaking the law and after a lot of phone calls and checking three different code books, they let me go on my way. I was 19 at the time.

·
Glocker
416 Posts
drewbegley said:
And no problem Fuzzy, In VA you can own and open carry a firearm at age 18 (and own the ammo, obviously). Even though you can't legally buy them yourself. I was bombarded in a WAWA one day by three Henrico County police officers trying to tell me I was breaking the law and after a lot of phone calls and checking three different code books, they let me go on my way. I was 19 at the time.
So how did you keep it in your car,without being charges with concealment?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how did you keep it in your car,without being charges with concealment?

Wear it in a holster. Or you can follow the transport law where you unload it, box it up and store the ammo seperately. Plus I've been told by an officer that you can store it loaded as long as it's out of sight and not within reach of the driver (or occupants of the car if there are passengers) I.E. Not under your seat, but maybe in a glove box.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Thank you so much. I've been treated with more respect and common courtesy on this site even though I didn't really start using it til today than I have on forums i've been a part of for years.
Everyone here has a respect for each other and an awesome way of having great conversation(albeit heated at times) Without getting crummy with each other! The members here are the BEST!! We look forward to hearing more from you!

·
Because 2 Are Better Then 1
10,292 Posts
I live in NC and bought some .45 ACP this weekend at Wally World. They did not "Card" me, but did ask for my date of birth. So I would think that there is an age you have to be to buy it. I am in my mid 40's so no big deal. As far as Henrico Co. goes, I was born there, but only lived there until I was 5 or 6 so I can't really say.

Edit: Yes there are some (a lot) of good people on this site.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Not sure about Nevada. I buy ammo all the time, and no one has ever asked me for ID. But I'vs been going to the same places for over 30 years, and everyone know me on sight, so maybe that's it.

Anyway, HappySniper will know, I'll PM him later if he doesn't get on first.

·
Glocker
416 Posts
drewbegley said:
Wear it in a holster. Or you can follow the transport law where you unload it, box it up and store the ammo seperately. Plus I've been told by an officer that you can store it loaded as long as it's out of sight and not within reach of the driver (or occupants of the car if there are passengers) I.E. Not under your seat, but maybe in a glove box.
Thanks for the info man!and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Not sure about Nevada. I buy ammo all the time, and no one has ever asked me for ID. But I'vs been going to the same places for over 30 years, and everyone know me on sight, so maybe that's it.

Anyway, HappySniper will know, I'll PM him later if he doesn't get on first.
Strictly speaking, under Nevada law, one must be 18 or over to be able to purchase rifle ammunition, and 21 and over to purchase pistol ammunition.

The "carding" that is done (usually at Walmart) is to ensure the buyer is within those parameters of age and not as an identifying vehicle to locate persons "not authorized" to purchase ammo. It is simply age-verification, much like what is done to purchase alcohol.

Personally, I do not agree with requiring positive ID for law enforcement screening purposes for ammo purchases. Why? It never works. It only infringes upon the right of free commerce for law abiding citizens. Age verification is OK, but even that is defective: a kid can always have his dad or uncle or stepdad or brother buy the ammo, and it is not considered a "straw purchase" because ammo is not and should not be a regulated item.

At our gun shows, a regular dealer there called MiWall (ammo only) requries valid driver's license for ammo sales, and records buyer information. For what legal purpose? I do not know. I do know that we have hundreds if not thousands of buyers coming over the pass from California to buy ammo in Reno (at times, using up all the stock on the shelves) because ammo is so dear in California. So, out-of-state buyer? Show your ID, and I also agree with that because it deprives locals of ammo stocks themselves.

Many of the world's leaders have tried to control firearms by controlling the ammunition. Benito Mussolini. Adolf Hitler. Josef Stalin. Bill Clinton.

And we know how that worked out, dont we....

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the Forum drewbegley! I hope you enjoy it here.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
42,413 Posts
I think it comes down to region and age. Right before I moved out of New Jersey they started to require ID and signatures for ammo. I moved to Texas and you could buy pallets of ammo without anyone caring. So if you were raised up without required ID you want it to stay that way. Walmart in Texas cards you for knives, cigarettes, alcohol and ammo so no big deal there plus it's their national policy.

I sent you a bunch of hate mail in your PM to make you feel at home:D

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
They card you for beer, tobacco why not ammo?

I am sorry you had that experience, I think you will find it much more open minded here.

WELCOME!

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
This is my first thread on here and I'm looking for input on what kind of person I apparently am.

I posted on a different popular gun forum made specifically for my state and said I was kinda ticked off that I could go into WalMart and buy ammo without being carded.

Does that make me an "anti-gun enthusiast"? I was immediately ridiculed by the other members and a day later my inbox was littered with hate mail. Was this necessary? I am open to any and all criticism about anything in my life. I conceal carry or open carry an M&P every day and have carried ever since I was 18 (VA Laws) and am the most avid shooter of my friends and family. What does this forum ahve to say about that type of post?

p.s.- this is my first thread, so forgive me if there was a better place to post this than where ever I did post it and if a Mod/Admin can move it to where it makes mroe sense, please do.
Suprised you bought ammo at Wallyworld and didn't get carded. I get carded every single time, and it's the same clerk every single time.

Your being ticked that they didn't card you certainly doesn't make you an anti-gun enthusiast. Your other forum's member reactions were uncalled for - their behavior is the precise opposite of the purpose of a forum - open, honest and respectful discussion.

Just curious, why did not getting carded rub you the wrong way?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Never been carded for ammo, I guess I just look on the high side of 21 LOL. I don't think carding will help anything except young kids trying to buy ammo. A BG is going to get it one way or another just like the guns. What we need is SEVERE penalties for the criminals that are caught with guns, ammo and other weapons. The laws will only restrict those who will abide by them, kinda like the speed limit.

As for the forum, yes they are a good group of people. Welcome.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts