Cowhide vs horsehide

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by TC125, Jun 23, 2012.

1. TC125

TC125 New Member

First posting on forums. So I recently obtained my ccw. Looking for a good iwb holster to carry. After some research, im noticing some materials being used. Any feedback on what y'all like as well as brands you use. Anyone ever heard of Theis holsters?

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Welcome TC125!! You will see a bunch of answers soon! If you get a minute and want to, maybe go to the intro. section and tell us a bit about you and your Glocks? Enjoy!

3. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you're here. Enjoy.

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

The horsehide is great for hot or humid areas. Crossbreed is known to offer both horsehide and cowhide for the IWB Supertuck holsters. Foxx Holsters is a vendor on here with an IWB I would recommend. I'm not sure if they offer horsehide or not though.

5. EMSeight

EMSeight New Member

SC
    I currently use a Theis iwb holster for my G30sf, it is cowhide and I live in SC where it is humid. Always wear a cotton t shirt under my outershirt and though it sometimes gets hot and sticky I love the holster. It was a short turn around time and there is no play or squeking with it. I would recommend it to anyone. That being said, I may order a horsehide for my next round.

6. mikecu

mikecu New Member

I have a CrossBreed Super Tuck that looks similar to the Theis and Foxx holsters. If I was going to purchase one of this style, I would probably go with the Foxx due to the lower price(I didn't buy mine, it came with a pistol purchase). I find it to be comfortable, but, I think that these types of holsters are built cheaply. The retention in kydex on leather type is next to zero.

I like the comfort and quality of the Milt Sparks IWB holsters better.

I think that horsehide is better in hotter/humid climates.

7. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

My white hat holster maxtuck has good retention. It is horsehide and I love it. I've written while working outside and sweating. It has yet to go through to the gun.

8. runman

runman New Member

Seems that horsehide is recommended for hotter/humid climates. Is it the humidity that makes horsehide preferable? I live in Las Vegas, very hot but low humidity.

9. neem19

neem19 Just trying to stay warm

I have a Maxxtuck in horsehide and love it. I live in Houston so humid and hot but I think horsehide just has a tighter grain and does not soak up sweat like cowhide. I wear mine all the time and it is hot here and there are no sweat marks ar anything on mine. Comfortable rig in the heat. Just my .02.

10. TC125

TC125 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm out here in norhern California. I know, i know. It's California, i've heard all most of the CA jokes so far. Its pretty dry where i'm at. There are just so many brands and companies producing holsters its hard to pick and choose. Just didnt want to go out and spend a fortune trying different ones.

11. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

It is for hot or humid or both climates. If you will be sweating profusely which I imagine you will in Las Vegas, then horsehide would probably be a better choice.

12. runman

runman New Member

Good to know, thanks for the info.

13. Thesarge

Thesarge "The Sarge"

I have carried handguns for over 36 years now and carry all the time. Went through a ton of holsters along this journey. In leather, no doubt, horse hide is the superior material and well worth the additional cost over cow. That being said times change and holsters evolve. Now I carry almost exclusively in Comp-tac kydex. Check them out. Their gear has many options and models. Comp-tac has great CS, gets your order out fast, and the price is right. If you don't like it, they will take it back with no hassle. Their holsters just plain work very well. Bill

14. TC125

TC125 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. So i broke down and ended up going with a horsehide Theis IWB holster. It's a 2 week turnaround time for him right now. It's a waiting game for me now.