Could have been worse...

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by voodoo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Well... I try to go to the range every other week or so and run a couple hundred down range...

Last week... something happened that spooked me... Badly

A women 2 lanes down from me was firing a 357 at a paper target I would guesstimate to be 10 feet in front of her. It was obvious to me that it was her first time there and her man friend was helping her learn... all is fine and well... I get through about 50 rds and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz frap.

Little lady must have hit the lead target holder above her target... her round came back at me, hit me in the chest, ripped my shirt just below my left nipple and cut me.

After that... I couldn't get a clean look down the slide because I was waiting for the next one... double tap ricochet style.

Anyway... I left the shooting area and spoke with the cats that run the range... they were a bit shocked and didn't believe me at first. They then went is to see how close she was to her lead target holder and it all clicked I guess.

Anyway... has anyone else had this experience? I'm a very lucky man... it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Yep, happened to me. Took it just below the left shoulder large fragment. Considered bringing a ballistic helmet with me next time lol.

3. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Holy crap, you are lucky! It could have hit your Glock and damaged it ;) Seriously, glad you are ok! That had to be scary dude...I don't understand how you can miss the target that badly from 10 feet? I could shoot better than that with my eyes closed. If you can point your finger, you should be able to shoot from that distance!

4. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

She probably was closing her eyes. .357 isn't what I'd start a new person out on LOL. Especially with my Dad's super special hot loads :D

5. Dang! You are very lucky. I've never had anything like that in a indoor one. I've had a few zip past me shooting outdoors by others there. That was enough to spook me. Glad you ended up ok. My dad started me out with a .357 mag. with .38s in it. He'd slip a .357 in once in a while, he thought it was funny when that round went off. I was 8 or 9 then. Time flys by huh.

6. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

I dont blame my wife for having fear at a range. You only trust yourself,but some people just dont deserve to be there. Glad you ok VooDoo.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I was standing right next to a press photographer once (in the Philippines, during one of the coup-de-etats against Corazon Aquino) when a Government sniper's round hit the camera he was holding to his face. I got hit by camera fragments, thought I was hit by a bullet, and same with the photog. His face was badly cut up, and my shirt had a short rip right across the top of the right shoulder.

The sniper was firing from a platform near the 2/3 mark on a television transmission tower, about 150 feet up, and we were on the ground, inside the compound of another television station held by rebel forces.

Not range, but nearly dead as well. His camera was about 12 inches to the right of my face and on the same level.

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Was on the range for work doing some shoot and move type training when one guy shot a steal target with an AR15 from about 30ft, if came straight back and penetrated his belly by about a 1/4 of an inch.

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

And about 2 years ago, a guy in our group decided to shoot at our steel pistol targets (set at about 30 feet) with his brand-new AR15. Before I could yell at him not to fire, he let go several rounds, hitting the steel targets and nearly drilling holes thru them. One of the copper jackets shed off his rounds and hit my daughter on the left forearm, buring into her skin. She still carries the scar.

10. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

After 24 years of shooting, I've been showered a few times. Got my ear stung once, but it didn't leave a mark. We were on the 10 yd. line when it happened. All these years I've only heard of one guy getting an actual wound on one of our dept. ranges. A little shrapnel made it back and whacked him the cheek. Flesh wound he pulled out himself. He washed it out, slapped a band-aid on it and finished out his day.

11. ^^^^^ I agree here

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

YEE OUCH !! Glad to hear you made it out alive voodoo...

I can't say how many times I've got it by backsplash from some gomer shooting

the zipline at the indoor ranges...that's why I usually have a hat, shooting gloves and

safety glasses on...not that that would have helped you....Body Armor may be the ticket...

Got a Trauma Plate holder...?! :p

13. SteveC

SteveC New Member

I'm impressed that you didn't shoot the dude. The thought had to have crossed your mind.

14. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

You are very lucky. Yeah, starting a new lady shooter with a .357 is crazy. The range I go to has a red line 20 ft out and all targets have to be past that line. Thanks for sharing, that is something I will watch out for.

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Oh, yes, it did cross my mind, but he was so danged apologetic, he was tripping all over himself almost to the point of tears that my daughter got injured (the copper jacket embedded rather deeply, then fused to her skin, had to wait until we got home before I could wash it out and dig the fair sized copper out...the scar is about the size of a nickel).

He offered to call 911, pay for the ambulance service and hospital bills!

About 2 weeks later, he insisted on replacing the damaged target and buying us dinner at any restaurant of our choosing. Accepted the former, declined the latter. He did give my daughter an envelope, I never learned how much was in it, that was between the two of them.

He is still a friend, and he is now a lot more careful.

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

On my JROTC pellet rifle team in high school while I was teaching the new members how to shoot, a pellet hit the trap in just the right spot, came back all 33feet and hit me square in the middle of my left eyeglass lens... And, that my friends, is why we wear EyePro!

Had some ricochet while shooting Muzzle loaders... No scars but a crazy 25 yard full ball came back once... Still have it on my desk.