Glock Firearms banner

How concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• No worries - it's all media hype

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Passively watching it as part of the news headlines

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • Actively following it with focused interest

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Taking steps to assure myself and my family are protected

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Skeered it will get me as soon as it gets to my county

Votes: 0 0.0%
881 - 900 of 941 Posts

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Well, my wife is an LPN at an elderly home and she gets tested every Monday and Thursday,Was going well until this morning. She had an inservice and was to be to work at 8 am. They called at 7 and told her she was positive now. I also had to call in and tell my employer (Penn Dot) The stupid thing is,I have to stay home and quarantine not only for the 14 days my wife is home but I also have to stay quarantined 14 days after she's done.I wont be able to go back to work until February 9th..Thankfully,I have 10 days of emergency sick and much more accrued sick leave to use..Neither of us show signs as of yet..
I admit I'm slow on some things but why do you have to quarantine for 28 days? When your wife was found +, then both of your times start at the first indication of a + test....right?
To quarantine an additional 14 days is way overkill. The CDC has found that 10 days is sufficient but the rule of thumb is 14 days. Yes I know I'm thick...........

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Now THAT's what I'm saying!!!
Of course we all know now that's a load of fertilizer:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,886 Posts
Well, my wife is an LPN at an elderly home and she gets tested every Monday and Thursday,Was going well until this morning. She had an inservice and was to be to work at 8 am. They called at 7 and told her she was positive now. I also had to call in and tell my employer (Penn Dot) The stupid thing is,I have to stay home and quarantine not only for the 14 days my wife is home but I also have to stay quarantined 14 days after she's done.I wont be able to go back to work until February 9th..Thankfully,I have 10 days of emergency sick and much more accrued sick leave to use..Neither of us show signs as of yet..
Sounds like our wives do the same job.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I admit I'm slow on some things but why do you have to quarantine for 28 days? When your wife was found +, then both of your times start at the first indication of a + test....right?
To quarantine an additional 14 days is way overkill. The CDC has found that 10 days is sufficient but the rule of thumb is 14 days. Yes I know I'm thick...........
I asked the same thing yesterday to the CDC woman that called here Her explanation was silly and I still don't get it.I asked her if we both quarantine for the same 14 days, why wouldn't we be good to go at the end. We can both get tested an the end of 14 days to see if we are negative. But, she said just because we are together in one house my wife might have it now and even though we are here alone, it may take up to 10 days for me to get it, I think they are just making up **** as they go. Luckily, once you test positive, you get tested every 3 months after, not 2 times a week. I also have plenty of sick leave so I wont miss any pay, it's just a big hassle. Hell, I'm not even sure I'll get it either...You have to have signs of it to be tested here now in Pa.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I'm done with it. I got the Rona for an early Christmas present during the visit to our daughter's house in AR. To spite my having asthma and being 57 YOA, it wasn't anywhere near the sickest I've ever been. I have had much worse cases of the flu. Occasional chills, occasional mild fever, sweats, body aches the first couple of days, fatigue throughout, and chest congestion for weeks. While it was a quarantined PITA, I was functional throughout. I slept much more than usual. The Mrs got through similarly. I don't recommend it though and certainly don't want a second dose.

·
Super Moderator
71,037 Posts
This was posted by one of my friends on Facebook that has been going through Covid 19.

This is not normally the type of post that I like to write as it doesn't involve cats but I feel like I should give a run-down of my experience with Covid just in case it makes anyone out there a bit more careful or entices you to get the vaccine which might save you or others from some misery.
I was as careful as I thought I could be. I did not attend gatherings or go out to eat or the gym or any of the stuff we're not supposed to be doing. I got it from someone working in my house that I was physically in the room with for less than 5 min.
12/26 Started feeling lousy. Just general symptoms of maybe a cold or something.
12/27-12/31 More of the same. I did get tested during this time so I knew it was Covid. I basically was just resting and taking vit c, and NSAID's and some pain pills I had left over from dental surgery. I was in a lot of pain but really didn't feel like I was in serious health danger.
01/01/21 - Monitoring my oxygen revealed that I was having trouble keeping it above 90. I made arrangements to borrow an oxygen concentrator the following day.
01/02/21 - 01/03/21 Oxygen consistently below 90. Did a telemedicine visit and got some meds. Started using home Oxygen concentrator but after most of the day couldn't keep oxygen up and went to the hospital
01/04/21-01/08/21 - In the hospital on remdesivir, steroids, a whole lotta oxygen, and a bunch of other stuff.
01/09/21-01/15/21 - Home. In this time, I've alternated days between being in massive pain and in bed on pain meds and being in bed with crushing exhaustion.
So far, I'm about 3 weeks in to my covid experience and I still see a whole lot of downtime in my future. As someone who is constantly busy and has a to-do list a mile long, this has completely upended my life.
It has not been some mild cold, easily gotten over. I know for many people that it is that way, but I want people to know that it is definitely not the case for everyone.
And P.S. I'm not in the group of individuals that would be considered high risk for complications. I'm 41, with no underlying health issues. Other than being under quite a bit of stress in the last couple months, I have been generally healthy.
Pretty sure this is the longest post I have ever written. Take care of yourselves and each other.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I asked the same thing yesterday to the CDC woman that called here Her explanation was silly and I still don't get it.I asked her if we both quarantine for the same 14 days, why wouldn't we be good to go at the end. We can both get tested an the end of 14 days to see if we are negative. But, she said just because we are together in one house my wife might have it now and even though we are here alone, it may take up to 10 days for me to get it, I think they are just making up **** as they go. Luckily, once you test positive, you get tested every 3 months after, not 2 times a week. I also have plenty of sick leave so I wont miss any pay, it's just a big hassle. Hell, I'm not even sure I'll get it either...You have to have signs of it to be tested here now in Pa.
I wish I would've talked to here.
Primila Jayapal (D) from Washington State said she got Covid from the Republican members during the "Insurgency" because they didn't have masks on. And that was after only a few hours.
Funny thing is thru the video no one had masks on. Gas masks or other wise. I'd tell that lady from the CDC she's full of herself!

·
Registered
416 Posts
That’s pretty messed up! I only know the CDC guidelines for healthcare workers which are more aggressive due to the extreme shortage but when one of my employees has a positive family member with symptoms the current guidelines are once the family member’s symptoms have stoped without taking fever reducing meds, the employee can return to work 7 days later with a negative test or 10 days later without a test. They have to closely watch for symptoms for 14 days. With current cases we’ve been seeing the symptoms have been developing quick after exposure - days 2-5. This was not the case early on.

I think what often gets overlooked in the masking debate is the financial impact just being sick has on both the individuals and the business. I have a lot of people who have used up all their PTO, sick leave, CARES act, etc taking care of sick family members or issues with children and they haven’t even had COVID themselves. They can’t afford unpaid days. Things are a mess right now.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
So, The World Health Organization has only recently (this week) been given access to Chinese scientists, Wuhan residents, and other documents in order to further investigate the origins of COVID 19. I can’t believe I could find even one person who would have confidence in this investigation. The CCP has had total control of this scene for over a year. Additionally, we all know the cozy relationship between WHO and the CCP. What a charade. The CCP will not allow any damaging information to see the light of day.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
So, The World Health Organization has only recently (this week) been given access to Chinese scientists, Wuhan residents, and other documents in order to further investigate the origins of COVID 19. I can’t believe I could find even one person who would have confidence in this investigation. The CCP has had total control of this scene for over a year. Additionally, we all know the cozy relationship between WHO and the CCP. What a charade. The CCP will not allow any damaging information to see the light of day.
BUT!!!! It's already been a stated fact that if the results put the CCP in any bad light, you'll never know about them because the CCP will bar the results from being published.
Does any of this sound familiar with our current events?

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Getting my vaccine next Saturday. Have to drive nearly 2 hrs to Orlando, but it is worth it. Also, looks like the Pfizer, as second vaccine scheduled for 23 days, not 28... I am pleased about that...

Reactions: jhg and Danzig

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Kinda strange facts about my wife..She just had her 1st vaccine shot (pfizer) 1 week before her positive test results.. When she returns back to work she has to get the 2nd shot a week later. She also doesn't have to get the mandatory 2 times a week testing. It goes to every 3 months now... I am not a conspiracy theory type person, but this whole thing is bizarre to me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Kinda strange facts about my wife..She just had her 1st vaccine shot (pfizer) 1 week before her positive test results.. When she returns back to work she has to get the 2nd shot a week later. She also doesn't have to get the mandatory 2 times a week testing. It goes to every 3 months now... I am not a conspiracy theory type person, but this whole thing is bizarre to me.
That information actually does fit. During the studies a number of people caught COVID between the 1st and 2nd dose. The effectiveness of the first dose is less than 50%.

The original advice was to wait to give the vaccine to those who had recently recovered (wait 90 days). This was only to leave more doses for those who had no antibodies. But they gave up and decided to not worry about tracking that and just give the vaccine.

No idea why they are testing every 3mos but testing every 2 weeks doesn’t make any sense either. It should be 2x per week or just go ahead and wait for people to develop symptoms.

Reactions: wrpNYFL and jhg

·
Premium Member
12,886 Posts
Many of my Wife’s coworkers tested positive within days of getting the first round of the prizer shot. They were told it has 10 day to take effect rate, & that was why they tested positive after getting the first shot. My wife is still tested weekly at work. Also A systematic covid positive workers are still being allowed to come to work.

·
Super Moderator
61,410 Posts
I think they weren’t educated on how long the first shot takes to be effective, & maybe let their PPE guard down. My wife follows all PPE procedures, & even beyond. Which is maybe why she has been lucky so far.
Understood, but is it possible? It would not surprise me if the test is incorrect.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Understood, but is it possible? It would not surprise me if the test is incorrect.
Unlike a flu vaccine, there is no form of virus in the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. There’s nothing in them to cause a false positives in a test looking for the virus. It’s possible someone was trying to use an antibody test to detect active infections (a theory that was determined did not work early on). So it’s possible someone is using the wrong test and misinterpreting the outcome but that *should* be unlikely.

The best standard for rapid tests right now are molecular PCR.

·
Premium Member
12,886 Posts
Unlike a flu vaccine, there is no form of virus in the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. There’s nothing in them to cause a false positives in a test looking for the virus. It’s possible someone was trying to use an antibody test to detect active infections (a theory that was determined did not work early on). So it’s possible someone is using the wrong test and misinterpreting the outcome but that *should* be unlikely.

The best standard for rapid tests right now are molecular PCR.
My Wife’s tests get sent out to a lab. Takes 3 days to get the results. These are provided by her employer.

881 - 900 of 941 Posts