Coronavirus - what is your personal concern threshold?

Discussion in 'Survival and Preparation' started by 2-glocks, Feb 21, 2020.

1. No worries - it's all media hype

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Passively watching it as part of the news headlines

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Actively following it with focused interest

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Taking steps to assure myself and my family are protected

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Skeered it will get me as soon as it gets to my county

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 2-glocks

2-glocks Active Member Supporter

At what point do you personally take the Coronavirus serious and change your daily routines?

I suppose we should take all viral outbreaks seriously, but most seem to last a few weeks then taper off. However, the Coronavirus (becoming more known as Covid-19) seems to be gaining steam rather than fading away. Then again, numbers could drop like a rock tomorrow.

Speaking just for myself, I have four thresholds in mind.

The first in terms of devoting reading time (attention) to it was clusters outside of China. That one has been tripped several times over. It is now in more than a dozen countries.

The next “heads up” threshold for me will be activity in a cluster of people in our country. Say, the homeless in California or Washington State. How long would a homeless person walk the streets before seeking medical care? However long that might be, the cases in the US will grow exponentially from there.

After that my personal trigger will be an active case in my state. At that point, I’ll start daily protocols to monitor the local impacts.

The last one will be a case in my county. I work in the public, so when (if) we have a case here, I'll have to go on limited exposure status in terms of who I see daily. That will mean knowing them and their routines.

The news is beginning to hint this was a breech in a lab in China. Was it accidental, or did they release it intentionally? The speculation and conspiracy theories are gathering momentum.

Finally, I seem to be getting better news from sources outside our mainstream US media. That’s sad, but it’s the world we live in.

This story at BBC is one of the best I’ve read.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51048366

2. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

No change here. I don't go to walmart or really anywhere with people I don't know, work nights, skeleton crew. Stay in shape for 60, running average 15 miles a week, weight train etc...outside, fresh air mostly. Have a silver biotics generator, and take colloidal silver and olive leaf extract daily, as well as vitamins and supplements. Got through a mastoid bone,jaw, ear, spine and skin infection last spring...what doesn't kill ya'....:cool:

redvwyahoo, Fab and LElliott like this.

3. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought one of the full whatever rated $150 full face masks for all 4 of us, lol!!

4. mattm

You sharing? Who goes first? :confused:
    I got a couple full face...uh..helmets. Wifes is a Bell, mine an Arai. Never got sick while wearing them. :cool:

eltell, Old Bloke and LElliott like this.
  5. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I smoke, so I go first. While you hold your breath, lol!

Old Bloke, LElliott and mattm like this.
  6. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member

Passively watching, no real further prep steps to take.

I’m wondering about non-medical ripple effects:
    1 - What happens to supplies of chinese-origin products if they keep the factories closed as long as it takes to be sure the epidemic is behind them?

2 - What happens to people’s fear of taking possession/delivery of chinese-origin products if they don’t wait that long before reopening the factories?

Old Bloke, Danzig, Lucian_253 and 2 others like this.
  7. mattm

My shop is part of a large global corporation... 2020-02-22 01.53.35.jpg

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Nothing changed yet I will board my non refundable flight and fly from Oakland to Florida and and get on a big cruise ship for 14 days and than fly home after .

Old Bloke and LElliott like this.
  9. jhg

jhg Gunslinger Supporter

@Dark Knight, I know that you know you are taking a risk, so I will say no more about that. I hope everything goes well and you enjoy your cruise.

Bayou, Old Bloke and LElliott like this.
  10. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Yeah, I already have COPD. Besides smokin myself, I had Septic pneumonia back in 1997 that was a big factor, almost croaked and my right lung was scarred badly. I used to be a Tool & Die welder for one of my careers too and I worked with lotsa strange metals(Titanium being my favorite) so I guess I'm screwed if it should come this far before the time the warmer weather kills it off naturally. I do take a daily Black seed oil gel cap that helps with lung probs quite a bit and I've heard this can also help ward off this virus. I've also heard the 'ideas' goin around out there that this was let out on purpose as a trial run for the future by the deep state cabal's depopulation talk and if they don't get their way and have a handy supply of vaccines available to the elites. Remember what happened with the Zika and Ebola viruses, all of a sudden BOOM! NOTHING. So what's all the hype about? Go figure huh.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Old Bloke and mattm like this.
  11. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I think everyone has been waiting and watching for the big one. Luckily despite hype we haven’t had anything too crazy.
    The 1918 influenza pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920; colloquially known as Spanish flu) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, It infected 500 million people around the world, or about 27% of the then world population of 1800 or 1900 million, including people on remote Pacific islands and in the Arctic. The death toll is estimated to have been 40 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history.

Old Bloke, Fab, mattm and 2 others like this.
  12. 2-glocks

This - among others, we were talking about these very two scenarios just yesterday at work.

My glasses are Zenni's, and the last pair I ordered shipped from the factory in China. I work in the public school system in my county and my insurance allows one eye-exam a year, which I typically do in the late spring/early summer, as to have new glasses (if needed) before the fall semester starts. Presently the prescription I am on seems "stable" so I'm thinking it will not change at the next eye exam.

I'll also note that I have Asthma.

So with those nuances noted, I am wanting a set of photo-chromes that darken in sunlight. The only reason I haven't ordered a pair is I'm waiting on a dental implant. After that, I'll see how much money is left in my flex account.

Now here comes the Covid-19 virus. the upshot is that I don't need a respiratory issue, and I can get glasses (granted, for more $$) done here in the USA.

Someone mentioned the 1918 Flu: my grandmother (1898-1985) survived that Flu, but she had respiratory issues for the remainder of her life. Pneumonia got her in the winter of 1985.

If Covid-19 really breaks out here, I think it will clear out some retirement centers and nursing homes. Those of us with pre-dispositions to respiratory illness will likewise be impacted.

I'm watching it with interest.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    LElliott likes this.
  13. Paco

Paco Member

A reminder, FWIW: Anyone living in the US is at much greater risk at present, and for the foreseeable future, from influenza. Current CDC estimates include more than 280,000 hospitalizations and about 16,000 deaths in the US this season from influenza, including more than 100 pediatric deaths. So, if you’re worried about COVID-19, I just gotta ask—did you get your flu shot this year? And what steps have you taken to reduce your risks of influenza? (And BTW—those steps are pretty much exactly what experts would recommend to reduce risk of contracting COVID-19.)

Fab, Danzig and mattm like this.
  14. LElliott

My Grand Ma was born in 1887 and lived to be just short of 104. She had a wool coat and everywhere she went she always wrapped a portion of the coat in her hand to turn any door knobs or grab any handles. That was her antiseptic.

mattm likes this.
  15. mattm

yeah, I hear the states flu death rates on the local radio station and am amazed Blumenthal and Murphy haven't come out with some "common sense flu control" laws.
    FWIW, haven't got the shot for a bunch of years. The last time I got the shot they mentioned it wasn't effective against the new strain, but was better than nothing....as mentioned above, I pretty much avoid people and work at staying healthy. My infection last spring was I believe due to running in 35 degree F weather, and it started raining. Got some rain in my ear, and the whole thing started with that ear going into instant meltdown that night.

jpurdy42 and LElliott like this.
  16. LElliott

I don't trust a word out of what that mealy mouthed 'Da Nang Dick' has to say anyway.

Old Bloke, mattm and Danzig like this.
  17. 2-glocks

18. Fab

Fab Well-Known Member Supporter

I was watching the news passively until a couple of days ago when local TV news here started to talk about contamination in the north part of Italy, so far we got 100 cases and two italians dead. I was listening WGN and they talked about Italy, I've been impressed.
    I wonder if this virus will affect my plan to be back in the US next August. :mad:

Danzig likes this.
  19. Southlake

Southlake Field Cross Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Coronavirus, flu, colds, germs in general; all come to me to die.

If you have a healthy immune system then germs don't stand a chance.

If you live an unhealthy life then you are asking for germs, any germs, to kill and destroy you.

It's your life, your choice!!!

20. Paco

Paco Member

First of all, lemme lol at the “common sense flu control” laws idea. Or maybe not. I don’t wanna give ‘em something to run with.

With regards to the flu shot, the challenge is always trying to predict ahead of time just exactly what strain(s) of flu are going to dominate in an upcoming season. They can make good educated guesses based on what’s being seen in other parts of the world, and they generally do pretty good, all things considered. The shot is, most years, described as being “about 50-60% effective or thereabouts. Usually what is meant by that is that the immunization cuts the likelihood of actually getting ill from the virus by about 50%. It’s important to also remember that the immunization also helps reduce severity of illness—if one is immunized, generally the degree of sickness one experiences if one does come down with the flu is significantly lessened. Thus, certainly better than nothing, as you said.

I’m not at all concerned about COVID-19 yet, as I don’t intend to travel by air or other commercial transport to Asia (or much of anywhere, really) over the next 6-9 months. My prediction is that this will probably play out like the SARS thing of a few years ago—it’ll be a big deal for a while, then it’ll subside to background noise amongst all the other things trying to kill us. If it does become a prominent player here in the US, I’ll use pretty much the same precautions I use when trying to avoid the flu—wash hands religiously, don’t hang around those with respiratory illness, wipe down common work surfaces, keyboards, and phones, etc.