Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the ways of everyday concealed carrying of a gun?
Where do you put it (forward on the stomach, back on the back, on the side - advantages and disadvantages, such as quick retrieval, etc.)
What kind of holster .
I would love to be educated in this field
Thank you

·
Gen 3 G19 Shooter
3,108 Posts
I generally carry IWB, usually at the 3:00/3:30 position. Most of my holsters are Kydex.

I only have 3 pistols that I carry regularly; S&W Shield 9, G19, or Ruger LCP.

I'll do off body carry of my 19 in a sling bag if I'm going to Dr appointments, though.

I'll also occasionally do pocket carry with the LCP in a leather pocket holster.

I have a couple leather OWB holsters for various other guns, but they're mostly for Range Days.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I prefer the kydex holsters because if I am running errands I remove my gun from the holster when I get in my car and re-holster when I get back out several times, I have a mount for my guns on the left side of the console that is hidden from outside the vehicle that is easy to draw quickly if I have to.
I would not do that, at least not here in the SF Bay Area. Car breakins are so rampant, the cops aren't even taking notice anymore. You run a good risk that some a**hole breaks into your car and then steals your gun, even if it not in sight. I'd rather carry it on my body, even if the stores have a 'no gun' sign on their door or whatever.

(It's also illegal in CA btw but that is another issue)

·
Registered
546 Posts
LOL re-read my post, I said "re-holster when I get back out , " I do that several times a day every day, because whenever I am not in my vehicle I always have my gun in my holster on my right side at 3 o'clock, I have it on me everywhere I go except prohibited places, which mostly I just don't go into,
Ah, gotcha. Wouldn't it just be easier to leave it in your holster at 3 o'clock all the time? I know some people don't find that comfortable. Maybe it's more difficult to draw if someone decide to try to carjack you. Little OT but I like the Sacramento County District Attorney, Anne Marie Schubert. Tough lady, she ran for AG in California in the primaries but didn't get nearly enough votes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
yes well, you'll be lucky if you can ever get a ccw in san francisco,I thought you said in another post that is where you live, there are several counties here that issue them fairly easily, I live in Sacramento county which is a very 2nd friendly county, I have a CCW permit here in Sacramento county.
Oakland actually, Alameda County. But yeah, it's going to be a long process, for sure. Got an email back in August from sherrrif's office telling me to be patient, and that they are streamlining the process. From what I heard through the grapevine there are hundreds and hundreds of applications, which are processed in the order received.

The number of applications have exploded after Bruen, both in Alameda and SF County. Historically it was like 2 applications per year, a newspaper reported a couple of weeks ago that 44 applications were filed. You would think that processing 44 applications should not take all that long ... but there may be politics at play here where they are not 'rushing' if you know what I mean. I don't know this for sure but it would not surprise me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You asked for some education. OK here goes. In the front slightly to the side is called appendix carry, everything else is called clock positions.It’s called draw from, Not retrieval. Now you can ask what position do people like to carry.Everybody likes something different according to their body shape and likes, gun size. pocket carry thats one more.

·
Registered
Glock 17. Easy on my arthritis
33 Posts
I have 3 guns on my CCW permit, I have found that I prefer OWB (outside waistband) most comfortable for me, I like kydex holsters that have an adjustible forward cant and carry at the 3 o-clock position.
I like the kydex holsters because for me they are easy to draw and re-holster, they also have a good trigger guard. I like this brand, with a lifetime warranty. OWB Holsters | Shop Outside the Waistband Concealment Holsters Online - We the People Holsters

there other options for carrying, like AIWB( Appendix IWB carry is when the holster is positioned inside the waistband at the front of the body. Typically around the 1 o'clock position (for right handed shooters) or right beside the belt buckle. )
and IWB(inside waistband) some other positions there.
there are a lot of choices in leather holsters too, but like I said I prefer the kydex holsters for easy removal and re-holstering, at least for me,
there are also hybrid holsters that are leather on the body side and kydex on the outside for even more choices.
View attachment 278968
View attachment 278969
View attachment 278970
View attachment 278971
View attachment 278972
I prefer the kydex holsters because if I am running errands I remove my gun from the holster when I get in my car and re-holster when I get back out several times, I have a mount for my guns on the left side of the console that is hidden from outside the vehicle that is easy to draw quickly if I have to.
View attachment 278973
Can you elaborate on the statement of guns on your permit? I'm intrigued. Texas doesn't have a registered mandate. In fact our wonderful recently reelected governor made us a constitutional carry state. There are times when I wish we had a registry but mostly no. How does it work?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My favorite holster is a FusionPac. Probably one of the most comfortable carry holsters out there for IWB carry, IMHO. I keep it about 1- 2 O'Clock. I have a couple of Cross Breeds and an Alien holster, but they spend most of the time in the drawer.
I have to replace it every 6(ish) years, but no worries, they have a lifetime warranty and stand by it. Email them, send it in and get a new on in under two weeks.
Keep it in front of you. 9 and 3 O'clock are pretty much the limit for many reasons. After some shoulder injuries, I can tell you just how weak reaching behind you really is. Easier to defend, and draw, with much more power to do both.
Happy Researching.

·
Registered
1 Posts
…Where do you put it… What kind of holster…
3:30 - 5:00 behind right hip, leather, usually IWB sometimes OWB, each at 15°-30° rake. I like thumb-break retention (or at least a sweat shield) to protect my body and clothing from wear.
Occasionally in a kydex paddle holster.
Sometimes in front pocket of pants in a pocket holster (Galco or Desantis or similar).
Rarely in a crossdraw holster at 10:00-10:30 under a suit coat or in the inside coat pocket.
Rarely in a fanny pack.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Can you elaborate on the statement of guns on your permit? I'm intrigued. Texas doesn't have a registered mandate. In fact our wonderful recently reelected governor made us a constitutional carry state. There are times when I wish we had a registry but mostly no. How does it work?
In California when you apply for a CCW you have list the specific gun(s) you intend to conceal carry, including serial number(s). If the CCW permit is granted, you can then concealed carry any of the guns listed on the permit, but not any other gun. California does not have constitutional carry so everyone has to go through the CCW process. The process has become (much) easier after Bruen with "good cause" being dropped but it still is a lengthy process depending on which county you live in. The "post Bruen era" is a new landscape for the sheriff's departments and they are still trying to come to grasps with the vast increase of CCW applications, and streamlining the process. Well that is my impression based on what I read and heard.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
50,300 Posts
In California when you apply for a CCW you have list the specific gun(s) you intend to conceal carry, including serial number(s). If the CCW permit is granted, you can then concealed carry any of the guns listed on the permit, but not any other gun. California does not have constitutional carry so everyone has to go through the CCW process. The process has become (much) easier after Bruen with "good cause" being dropped but it still is a lengthy process depending on which county you live in. The "post Bruen era" is a new landscape for the sheriff's departments and they are still trying to come to grasps with the vast increase of CCW applications, and streamlining the process. Well that is my impression based on what I read and heard.
No doubt it’ll change over time. I’ve seen Texas change the CHL/LTC rules over the years.
We had it where if you qualified with a revolver you couldn’t carry a semiautomatic. Had to qualify with something bigger than.22LR and a few other rules that have gone by the wayside.
Even though we have Constitutional Carry now, I renewed my LTC in the hopes we may have National Reciprocity or something close to it at some point.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
No doubt it’ll change over time. I’ve seen Texas change the CHL/LTC rules over the years.
We had it where if you qualified with a revolver you couldn’t carry a semiautomatic. Had to qualify with something bigger than.22LR and a few other rules that have gone by the wayside.
Even though we have Constitutional Carry now, I renewed my LTC in the hopes we may have National Reciprocity or something close to it at some point.
Yea, not in the inaugural class, but I had my license before we could carry. It was under a week IIRC, but had to wait. The first one was only two years, for me, because they wanted to break up all the renewals.
Amazing how few licensed carriers there are in the state. I was very surprised when the arguments and numbers went up during the Constitutional Carry debates.
I wish it was more Constitutional Carry than a permitless carry, but maybe we can work on some of that. HL rulings have changed quite a bit, for the better, over the years. I still think there are too many gray areas, and "Gotcha" rules in the law.

Reactions: Danzig

·
Glockin’ since 1993
50,300 Posts
Yea, not in the inaugural class, but I had my license before we could carry. It was under a week IIRC, but had to wait. The first one was only two years, for me, because they wanted to break up all the renewals.
Amazing how few licensed carriers there are in the state. I was very surprised when the arguments and numbers went up during the Constitutional Carry debates.
I wish it was more Constitutional Carry than a permitless carry, but maybe we can work on some of that. HL rulings have changed quite a bit, for the better, over the years. I still think there are too many gray areas, and "Gotcha" rules in the law.
Agreed. There’s tougher penalties for licensed carriers than criminals and that’s just garbage!
Considering the gun laws Texas had on the books when I got here in 1993, we’ve come a long way!

·
Registered
237 Posts
In Florida you can carry is many guns as you can conceal at Once. And any One you want to carry for the day. actually I don’t think we have gun Permits we have weapon permits. There’s a difference. Any Legal weapon concealed. except if you’re hunting or fishing or camping you can open carry a side arm. no constitutional carry yet or open if not the above. DeSantis wants constitutional carry from the legislators but they are not wanting to do it.We have a bunch of rhinos in Tallahassee.o in case anybody doesn’t know Rick Scott signed into law that you do not need a carry permit For 48 hours while Evacuated from a hurricane.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts