Concealed Carry with one in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by LONEWOLF, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Always one in the chamber, EXCEPT with a shoulder holster (which I rarely wear.

2. Totally agreed...lots of confident people that are NOT competent...and really only GOOD quality training can get you that. I'm a BIG fan of Frontsight Firearms training institute for that exact reason, and I'm sure their are plenty of other schools similar that have great training. I'm not saying good training totally eliminates problems, but I'd be a helluva lot more confident in other people that went through similar training on a regular basis...I've been through tactical shotgun, tactical rifle, and tactical handgun...all amazing classes, especially the handgun class...a MUST for anybody that owns a handgun!!:cool:

3. codemanod

codemanod New Member

Yes 1 in the chamber. Keep your finger off the trigger and completely safe. Put your finger on the trigger, dead bad guy.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Here's another thought to consider when deciding Condition One or Condition Three (condition 2 does note apply to Glocks)....and the following does NOT apply to situations requiering a deadly force response, it is for all other situations EXCEPT that....

The biggest enemy when around a gun, is complacency.

The second biggest enemy is misplaced confidence, overconfidence, or lack of confidence, in how to handle the gun.

Should be self-explanatory.

5. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 New Member

Real Life IS NOT a choreographed Hollywood movie. If you are carrying any gun for SD, it should be in the condition (round in the chamber) to do just that.

6. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

So we can't bend bullets to go around objects? JK, movies are a horrible example of firearm use except for the movie Shooter. One in the chamber is the way to go.

7. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

No you cant, i tired it. Lol!

8. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 New Member

Actually I read some where where they are developing a bullet that can change path in flight. The little sucker had fold out moving fins.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen trying to emulate Hollywood. Not just civilians but LEO's also.

9. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Don't make fun of me but I wouldn't mind that weapon on the "Fifth Element" (Milla is hot) that has all those weapons in one. Well... without the red button....

10. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Another good reason we should push Hollywood to depict responsible civilian carry.

11. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster New Member

Am i carrying a gun or a rock. Am i carrying a gun or a boomerang. Am I carrying a gun or a slingshot. Am I carrying a gun or a stick. I am carrying a gun it should be loaded so it can be used as it was intended to be used anything else is useless in a gun fight.

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Series11:
    Loved that movie! Another thing I learned from it: some of my guns (the ones I do not care to shoot anymore), and all of the ones in display in the living room, do not have firing pins. :D

@Wolfgang2000:
    I think you may be referring to this: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/02/sandia-labs-self-guided-bullet-for-future-soldiers/ Developed by Sandia National Laboratories, it is a .50-cal bullet with steering fins and laser seeker head that homes in on refected laser light on a target, in much the same way laser guided bombs and missles work, but without all the sensitive electronics.

(*PS* I still wish I could curve a bullet, tho! :D)

13. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

It sounds like your confident lunatic was also perfectly competent; he was just totally irresponsible to the point that he shouldn't own, much less carry, a gun. If one is not smart enough to know that guns and parties don't mix, then I can only hope the ND that is waiting to happen injures or kills the idiot instead of an innocent victim.

Here's it all shakes out to me:

You must first be responsible. You have to know and accept that only you are in control of what happens with that gun. You must have a capacity for moral decisions and to be accountable; capable of rational thought or action.

Then you must be competent. If you do not know your gun, your other equipment and how to use it safely, you are not competent; carrying a gun when you are not competent is irresponsible.

To be confident enough to carry in C1, you must be both competent and responsible. If you are both of those things, there is no reason for you not to be confident.

Caution is always an important part of firearms, so a concern of the possibility of a ND is simply being responsible; being paranoid that one may happen, however, is unhealthy. Paranoia is, by definition, excessive, unreasonable and is a mental illness. If you are so concerned by the possibility of a ND happen, put the gun down and walk away. If You have a "reasonable" fear of it happening that does not go away in short order, then consider that there is more to the problem.

14. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

You have a pretty ****ed up definition of "competent". Yeah, he was "competent" enough to point and click. If this guy would have had a squib load, he would have been looking down the barrel trying to figure out what happened.

If that's competency, then competency is about as relevant to firearms use as being able to turn on the radio is to driving a car.

Turns out the lunatic in question had bought the gun from the guy who stole it. He had never handled a firearm before.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. deputy125

deputy125 New Member

TX
    carry whatever you want however way you want to carry it.....i have not walked a mile in your shoes.

What should we do? start mandatory safety classes and training with the appropriate license requirements before we purchase any weapon? Demonstrate monthly proficiency to the State and pass testing requirements in order to have the right to keep and bear arms?......i think not. it is of course an individual responsibility. and individuals will have different skill levels and different concerns about gun carry. I hear folks harp and complain about the feds or the State interfering with an individuals right to bear arms......i'll be danged if i will start complaining about someone carrying in condition 1, 2, or 3 if they are legally allowed to.

i carry my sig with a loaded chamber. my 870 and M-16 are in the truck with an empty chamber......apples to oranges in that comparison...

i have been known in the past to carry a 1911 or browning hi power in condition 3 while mexican carry....yep, we all know the evils of mexican holsterless carry, but sooner or later ....it happens. i certainly am not comfortable with cocked and locked without a holster....and i would not feel comfortable with mexican carry with a glock, m&p, or other weapons with a light short travel trigger. A holster is a must...

it has been said that if a person is unsure about safely carrying a weapon such as the glock with a round chambered, he should perhaps not carry at all. Does this same logic apply to a person who wants the heavier "new york" trigger in his glock for safety reasons? Seems that if he is not comfortable and safe with the standard trigger then the same would apply with the heavier trigger...it is after-all the same mechanics in firing as in the finger on the trigger...yet glock reconizes different needs and offers this option...and from my understanding some departments still require it.

Matter of fact, the NY trigger is attractive to me as i am a revolver man and a DAK man......you can call that a "comfort level" on my part or just what i am accustomed to.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  16. the_mule

the_mule New Member

"Fight the way you train"...I've always been taught.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGD2j9ks38g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

17. mrlaminin

mrlaminin New Member

I am surprised how many people were so quick to judge and bash people who say they dont carry C1. Saying things like "If you are not competent enough to carry C1 you should not even own a gun, let alone carry one" REALLY!?! You dont even know the person you are talking to. There is a good chance that they are more experienced and better with a firearm then you are. And I would rather the cautious person who takes all things into consideration carry then the idiot who jumps to conclusion, thinks they know everything, and judges right off the bat.

18. andrewanderson

andrewanderson New Member

Thanks for sharing the video. That was pretty interesting.

19. codemanod

codemanod New Member

Honestly my opinion is I would rather have someone carry c3 than not carry at all. If my wife was at Walmart when some nut goes on a shooting spree and a man (or woman) does a imd I would never say a word except Thankyou. That being said I believe in less is more, I know c1 carry is just as safe as c3 but here's the biggest prob with c3, what if I have to pick up my child with my left arm and draw, or have to grab a flashlight, or if my left arm is out of service (shot, cut, blown off, etc)?

I confidently carry c1!

20. the_mule

the_mule New Member

I carry C3 because this guys mustache commanded me to! HaHa!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdZ3hZ8y-w&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

You know what they say: "Don't bring a pistol to a grenade fight". I hope my arm doesn't get blown off! How would I rack my pistol to save my own life then?! :/