Washington Concealed carry in WA colleges okay?

Discussion in 'North West USA' started by scott_see, Oct 17, 2013.

1. scott_see

scott_see New Member

I just got my OR CHL and in the flier I got it says, "A person who posses a valid CHL is NOT prohibited from carrying their weapons on school property." That got my curious about WA, as I'm heading up to UofW tomorrow.

According to http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280, "...It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises..."

UofW is not elementary or secondary. So maybe it's not prohibited to concealed carry at a college?

Does anyone know for sure? My little rug rat just started at UofW and she'd be pissed if I got her kicked out of school. She's having WAY too much fun.

2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a state university, so it's a no carry zone. Also Oregon does not recognize WA CPL, so I am pretty sure WA does not recognize Oregon's. I will check legal heat though.

3. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

WA does not recognize Oregon's license.

image-1761712717.jpg

4. scott_see

scott_see New Member

I have a permit for WA. and OR.

5. scott_see

scott_see New Member

okay good to know. And yes, I've got a permit for both states. I live in WA. But right on the border so I'm in OR a lot.

6. emrust

emrust New Member

I'd trying calling the UofW police force. They ought to know if it is legal or not. In case you'd rather read some articles and not call anyone here is some reading material.

http://m.ncsl.org/issues-research/educ/guns-on-campus-overview.aspx
    -- here it says that the colleges can make their own decision on CC'ing

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=312
    --here it says the same thing but mentions they only know 1 school that allows it

Hope that helps! When in doubt call the school police or the county sheriffs they should know their laws or at least offer to find out!

7. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

I just discovered the Legal Heat app. It seems pretty good so far. This is in the WA section:

Washington State Administrative Rules prohibit firearms in at least the following locations:
    Colleges or Universities
    Racing Grounds
    Licensed child care facilities (including pretty much any facility licensed to provide care to children/teens)

There is much more detailed information, but this is just the little tidbit about colleges. The app is only $0.99 and well worth the money. There are other good sources as well, such as www.handgunlaw.us. As someone mentioned before, it might be worth an email or phone call to the university police to double check.

8. IjustWantbangbangbang

IjustWantbangbangbang New Member

I can't speak for all WA colleges, but I know CCW is legal at Clover Park Tech, in Lakewood. You just have to have your CCW permit and file paperwork with the dean. I know for a fact that many students in the Automotive program carry at school, and there are several instructors that carry also.