Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some contradictory opinions whether concealed carry is legal in Portland even with a concealed handgun license.

In http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/docs/S060407.pdf I found the following:

The ordinance sets out 14 exceptions to the prohibition,
including an exception for persons who are licensed by the
State of Oregon to carry a concealed weapon.
My take on this is that concealed carry in Portland, OR is okay with a CHL.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The appellate court clearly states in that document, "Significantly, the ordinance does not prohibit a person from knowingly possessing or carrying a loaded firearm in a public place if the “person [is] licensed to carry a concealed handgun.” PCC 14A.60.010(C)(3).\

·
Registered
187 Posts
FinancialDan said:
The appellate court clearly states in that document, "Significantly, the ordinance does not prohibit a person from knowingly possessing or carrying a loaded firearm in a public place if the “person [is] licensed to carry a concealed handgun.” PCC 14A.60.010(C)(3).\
Sorry, dropped the iPad while typing... to continue:

The appellate courts clearly states that Portland's city ordinance "does NOT prohibit a person from knowingly possessing or carrying a LOADED firearm in a public place if the person IS LICENSED to carry a concealed handgun." In the context of the document, the license they refer to is clearly a license issued by the State of Oregon. This case was about person carrying loaded firearms across a public sidewalk concealed in a bag without an OR CHL. Having the OR CHL eliminates many of the restrictions on carrying in OR. (emphasis mine)

The laws can be confusing and I appreciate Scott bringing up these questions because it forces me to look into the laws more myself and become more familiar with the laws. Like Scott, I'm new to having a CHL for OR and I'm trying to get familiar with the local laws.

·
Registered
187 Posts
scott_see said:
That's how I'm reading it. Having read some conflicting things on this, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks,
Well, to really be sure, I would suggest a phone call to the Portland DA's office. I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion on here 100%. I'm a stock broker not a lawyer... as most on here are not lawyers. For tips and info on the weapons and training and many other topics this forum is great. I love it. But for legal stuff, I'm reading the laws for myself... where I find any ambiguity, I will refer to the DA's office for that jurisdiction for clarity.

·
Registered
184 Posts
is it legal to carry in a public school with a CHL in Oregon? I think it is ok but couldn't find anything about schools on the Oregon laws or maybe I had hard time understanding it. does any one know??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gallardo-G23 said:
is it legal to carry in a public school with a CHL in Oregon? I think it is ok but couldn't find anything about schools on the Oregon laws or maybe I had hard time understanding it. does any one know??
According to the app Legal Heat (great app, by the way)

Schools: Oregon Code Section 166.370(3)(f) allows possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm: (A) Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and (B) Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle.
An Oregon Court of Appeals ruled in late 2011 that the OUS’ administrative rule, OAR 580-022-0045(3), which prohibits firearms and other weapons from campuses, is invalid. The exact ramifications and applicability of this ruling will not be known for some time.
A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public buildings as defined in ORS 161.015. (§166.173(1)). However, due to the exemption of permit holders under §166.370(3) the Oregon Attorney General has stated that "the legislature did not intend...to allow local governments to negate the right granted by the statute to concealed handgun licensees." 46 Or. Op. Atty. Gen. 362, 1990 WL 519208 (Or. A.G. 1990) and thus these prohibitions do not apply to permit holders.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Yes you can conceal carry in Portland and in schools if you have a CHL. The local governments cannot over ride state law.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts