Competition

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by AllUNeed10mm, Mar 31, 2012.

1. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

I've gotten to be a pretty good shot with my new G20 ....and I'm interested in maybe trying my hand at some competition shooting. What are some basics that I need to know? Best caliber for competition? Good mods? And whatever else my noob butt should know.....any advice fellas?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Shoot fast.

Shoot well.

Don't use a revolver.

3. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

I shoot well......kinda fast.......getting faster .......and can I use my GLOCK 20?

I've been working on getting comfortable with his I hold the gun. Both thumbs pointing forward.....index finger on the front if the trigger guard....right where it looks like it was made for that. Sorry if I sound a bit ignorant about shooting pistols....but I am. I was pretty accurate when I started shooting without having that finger there. When I started putting my finger there I started to get crazy accurate. Helps to control the barrel a lot better. That front sight just drops right back down to the target.

Is there a certain grain that you have to use in competition? Or can I use whatever I want? And wouldn't a lower grain cartridge have less kick?

4. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Slow is fast.
    9mm

5. fls348

fls348 New Member

Typically in comps you'll shoot a lot. The 10mm may get very expensive. I also have a G20, love it but the amount of ammo I go through rules out it being economical. I use my G17, it'll be the cheapest to run and you'll shoot a bit quicker with the lessened recoil. However if you can afford to shoot the 10mm and your good with it then by all means stay with it!

6. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Shoot, shoot, shoot! :)

Best thing to do is just to shoot! To that end, 10mm is a GREAT round, however can get expensive especially if you don't reload.

Alot of competitive shooters use .40S&W. Most .40 guns have the capacity needed to be competitive, and there is an abundance of .40 bullets, brass, and primers (at least right now!...few years ago there was a shortage).

Lone Wolf distributors sells an aftermarket conversion barrel for the G20 so you can shoot .40. No need for anything else, mag's, ejector, etc will work fine.

If you want, go to Brian Enos forums (www.brianenos.com) to the Glock forum there and you will see alot of posts about using the G20 with a conversion barrel in the USPSA limited division. Some of the posters feel it's the "best secret" for Glock Limited Div shooters.

I'm LE in the Northeast, been shooting Glocks for years in competition, carry on -duty and off-duty. My suggestions: Get a good set of sights, learn trigger control, start SLOWLY (missing fast is the same as missing slow...it's missing!), shoot some bullseye to work on fundamentals (sight picture, trigger control, stance) and get ALOT of ammo to shoot often.

After you feel you are accurate AND fast, and learned the Glock trigger you can start trying aftermarket mod's like a trigger system, or just various components like different spring setups, polishing trigger parts, heavier guiderods, etc. Whatever you decide to do...do it one step at a time. This way if you encounter an issue you will know what caused the issue. If you do too much at once and have problems it'll be harder to identify what is causing it. Trust me on this one...I know first hand!!! LOL.

Good luck, welcome to the Glock family and above all...HAVE FUN!

Z-

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Good advice there, Zipper, thanks for sharing!

@AllUNeed:

If I may toss in an opinion:
    You should not get too used to shooting with the finger of your support hand on the front of the trigger guard. It must be below the trigger guard, with the other fingers (except thumb) of your support had. Holding it in this manner will tend to push your point of impact towards the side opposite your weak hand, and strain your wrist faster than if held properly. Additionally, it represents a potential safety issue....for instance, when running for cover with the pistol already gripped for firing, and one trips on something and the finger slips off the trigger guard, guess where it's gonna go: right onto the trigger (or the trigger finger if already poised on the trigger).

In our FA classes, we discourage new shooters from using this finger positioning, for the reasons stated above. We do get old-timers who can blast the X-ring out of the target paper, and since it is harder to "unlearn" habits, and since they have demonstrated accuracy in that grip, we warn them about the potential safety issue and leave it at that. If, however, they are shooting anything out of the 10-ring, we correct their grip.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers!

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I would visit the website for the firearm discipline ( competition ) I've decided to shoot and study all the rules.

Then I would go to a local match or two and see how those rules play out...talk to competitors, judges, referees, range officers,

who ever is willing to share info and answer my questions. That's what I did...I've shot in local IDPA abd IPSC matches...and did my homework before hand !

9. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

Exactly! Well ......almost........smoooth is fast. Just like with the golf swing. Tight muscles are slow muscles.

10. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

Thanks for all the advice fellas......I'll be putting all of it to use and we'll just see what happens.

11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Check out your local indoor ranges, they will be able to point you in finding a place that holds matches. Also look into the GSSF indoor matches, they are fast and fun.:D

12. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

I'll be at my local range in Macon this Saturday and will check it out. On a side note, I've settled on Hornady 155 grain JHP for everyday carry.....I've watched a few YouTube videos and they seem to hold up well and give good penetration......