compensated barrels

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by kjohnson9212, Apr 23, 2012.

1. kjohnson9212

kjohnson9212 New Member

ive heard a lot about compensated glocks. what are the pros and cons...pics?

2. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

I LOVE my G21 which has the quadraports from rockyourglock.com. It does make a difference and though people dislike the compensated Glocks for various reasons (blinds you, burns you, kicks debris in your eye....etc) I have to say that I really like it and it is one of my favorite firearms as it is smooth and sexy to shoot.

Attached Files:

3. kjohnson9212

kjohnson9212 New Member

it looks really good. when you say it makes a difference, what do you mean by that exactly

4. walla545

walla545 New Member

I think personally that compensation is what makes my .40 g22c have less muzzle flip and perceived recoil than my gen4 9mm 17. Might be in my head but that's the least of the problems with my head:) I personally love it never had stuff blow in my face or any problems (yet).

5. series11

I would say less muzzle rise and recoil, which keeps me on target. I still need to upload pics but I burned a hole in a target with my G21. Reading debates of compensated firearms one person said that there is a reason that the race guns have compensators and it didn't make sense to me when others said that it couldn't be used for home defense for weird reasons such as getting burned or blinded.

6. Series,

It's not so much that it can;t be used for home defense, it's just a bad idea. Most home defense situation happen at night, or in low light, in close quarters. Keeping your "night vision" is a difficult task with a standard gun should you have to fire, and is impossible (literally) with a compensated gun. Take it outside at night with one round in it. Shoot a target then drop it to the ground and have a friend kick your ass. Let me know how that goes! Also that is in an alert state, imagine you are half alseep. So, What if you miss? What if there is more than one? A lack of vision is a death sentence for you, your family, and possibly both. Enter in that you could be potentially flash burned or otherwise injured, and it gets even worse.

A compensated gun in your cabinet is great for the range, but consider that no Glock on the planet has a recoil so bad that you cannot handle it in it's factory format, why open an already scary and uncertain situation up to a whole host of new potential problems? At it's very core your Glock has a duty to protect you and your family, and you should not interfere with that duty.

7. series11

Hey nuckingfuts29,
    I'll have to pay more attention to the flash but if memory serves me it wasn't brighter than the flash from my stock G30. I plan to go to a range early in the morning on sat and will test it out in low light conditions. I also heard the type of ammo makes a difference as well and did notice a change when using another type of ammo that the flash wasn't that much. I thank you for your advice and will test somethings out on the range about the night blindness.

8. It may not be so bad if it is just the barrel, I know it is horrible with the slides like pictured above

9. I LIKE IT!!! How long did it take to have it done?Was it expensive?

10. series11

Code: QuadPort
    Price: $274.95
    RockYourGlock offers a unique system of porting semi-automatics by using a trapezoidal port through the barrel and an oversized expansion vent through the slide to allow maximum dissipation without fouling. Shooters using RockYourGlock's "C-Comp Quadra Port" services do not experience the large flash of muzzle blast experienced with systems dumping larger volumes of gases through holes positioned across the center line. Law enforcement agencies and companies offering night sights have tested our porting service finding no increase in muzzle blast or night blindness attributed to our porting service. It's amazing what a difference two trapezoidal slots can make! The wrist-wrenching recoil of a 10mm is controlled through the C-Comp porting making it feel more like an un-ported .45 ACP. The reduction in muzzle rise and felt recoil allows the .45 to be brought back on target in less time, which could be crucial in a firefight. Porting will make the gun more manageable and much more pleasant to shoot. On lighter calibers such as the 9mm, shooters find their primary benefit gained by a major reduction in muzzle rise. Turn around is 2-3 weeks for the C-Comp Qudra Porting. With lighter calibers it might be necessary to reduce the recoil spring weight with the Quadra port system. You can find reduced power recoil springs

I really like it and so have people who shot it. I'm putting it on my CCW.

11. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

I have a compensated barrel on my 17 go to/combat/race gun. Love it! It cuts the recoil to about half or maybe alittle more. I havent experienced the gas getting blown into my face. Although finding a holster for it is a little tricky. The barrel is 5" barstol 3-slot compensated semi-drop in.

Attached Files:

12. series11

Nice!!!!!! I was thinking of customizing a G17 into a race gun, the ammo is cheaper than a G21.

13. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Thanks!!! Yea ammo is cheaper thats for sure. Not to mention that deal on Jack Ross ammo. Im waiting to hear back on that range report soon.

14. Robbie

Robbie New Member

Wow. There is a lot of over thinking on this one. Should the shooting take place in your home you have the advantage. You know the layout they don't. If you don't grab the flashlight that's next to your gun or don't turn on the one attached to it then everyone is blind. If there is enough ambient light available to allow you to identify the threat without a flashlight then everyone can see. When you fire your weapon everyone in the immediate area will have some pupil constriction regardless of the powder or barrel type. If you had enough light to make the first shot then you should have enough to make subsequent shots thereafter. If for some reason you are blinded to the point you simply cannot see to make a follow up shot you still have the advantage of knowing your own house (light switch, preplanned fallback point). I'm not an expert but what I've read coming from experts is that the fight will only last a few seconds anyway. That's about enough time for 3 to 5 shots according to the experts. The experts also say its essential to have a bright white light. So yes lack of vision could be a death sentence. Though not because of a compensated barrel or non-flash suppressed powders but because you were not fully prepared and didn't have a light.

Now as far as being half asleep. Stop and think, really think about that statement. Would you actually be so bored with the idea of an intruder in your house that you couldn't wake up? Or would the thought of rape, torture, and death scare the hell out of you? Your body will dump the appropriate chemicals necessary into your system to wake you up. Unless your drugged, drunk, etc. then you screwed yourself kind of like not having a light.

As far as getting flash burned. I don't know about you but I've never fired a compensated weapon that burned me. If I ever do it'll be traded off ASAP and especially not be used as my defensive weapon. If the first time you fire it is in a defensive situation then once again you did not take the proper steps to fully prepare yourself the best that could.

15. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

What about shotgun muzzle flash?? It's the most recommended home defense weapon but I never hear about blinding muzzle flash on them. And it's gotta be shooting some serious light out of an 18" barrel. Hopefully I won't have to find out. And I do have a tac light on it but I guess that I won't be needing it (at first anyways) in the interest of tactical advantage. No kids, so just bad guys to worry about.
    I suppose it's like everything else with guns, gotta get one and shoot it :) Darn!!!

16. 187zombiekillar

187zombiekillar New Member

I have a g23c and I have shot it at night in the dark. Te flash for me was not much different that a standard g23. I will say u do see more of the flash but not enough to lose ur night vision the way your talking. A lot of that talk comes from Johnny know it all's and couch quarterbacks. I was skeptical at first about the flash but after shooting it in low light conditions ie. middle of the night. One would have to be a detail freak to worry about it. Just try not to "what if" the situation to death and you will be fine.

17. 187zombiekillar

I'm with you on the flash issue. I personally didn't see that big of a difference. You are also correct about the ammo. One should try different types of ammo if experiencing a lot of muzzle flash

18. 187zombiekillar

I totally agree with you. Even if you didn't have a light I would not shoot unless I know without a doubt in my mind it was an unwanted intruder. Some people give keys to other family members, friends, or lovers and forget end up shooting a loved one. one thing I was always taught was hand identification. But if I know it was an intruder all that's going out the window and homeboy better watch out because I'll be on the hunt at that point. And as you stated I'll have the upper hand because I know the layout.

19. trex1310

trex1310 Heart Of Dixie

The Police are not here to protect you and your family! If it's
    convenient they will do so, but it's not their mission. They
    try to prevent and solve street crime. As for protection, you
    are on your own. Believe it.