Comparable 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by ChromeDome, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

I'm fairly new to shooting and just recently began to cc my G19. Before any of you fellow Glock nuts berate me for blasphemy, let me assure you all that I am an avid Glock fan. My first purchase of a Glock is what has sparked my interest in firearms of all sorts. So, I have been researching various hand guns and shotguns, primarily for home and self defense. I have pretty much decided that my first shotgun will be a mossberg 500 or maybe a 590. (I especially like the 590A1.) I was hoping to get some input from the forum as far as selecting my next hand gun. I have been looking into a lot of 1911's. Colt, Kimber, Ruger and STI all have very appealing versions. Of course the more I learn, the more questions I have. Can I really get a quality, reliable 1911 for about the same price as a Glock? Would getting a 9mm vs a 45cal, or less than a 5in barrel be "defeating the purpose" of a 1911? I would really appreciate any input, as I hold all of your opinions in the highest regard. Thank you in advance. Stay safe and don't forget to duck!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum ChromeDome !!

Your query will be answered shortly...opinions abound here !!

3. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Springfield makes a nice 45, they have a lot of options.

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Rock Island enjoys a great reputation for a dependable, affordable, no frills 1911.

5. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

If you haven't yet, check out the Sig 1911, the Taurus 1911, and the Para 1911s. When I buy one, it is going to be one of these three brands.

6. I am so tempted to buy the Sig 1911 Spartan. Granted it hasn't release yet, but I love this gun from what I see. Any advice on Sig 1911's? I also have eyed the Taurus 1911, it is about half the price...

7. jimmyalbrecht

I've fondled a Sig 1911 at the gun store lol. It felt really solid and everything was tight. I absolutely loved it. They had a special edition with some sort of exotic wood for the grips , and a Crimson Trace laser built in. It was so sexy...

8. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Thats the great thing about guns vs women, you're allowed to, and openly so, love multiple guns!

At some point I will have a 1911 and a HK MK23 in my collection, but my G19 will always have a special place in my heart over them both.

9. jimmyalbrecht

Same with my Glock 23, it is my first!

10. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I love my springfield loaded target 1911. Plus, SA's customer service is amazing.

11. Jerry

Jerry New Member

NC,
    My son recently bought a Colt 1911 100th anniversary rail gun but didn't won't to shoot it, so he buys a G21 because of it 13 plus 1 capacity and I must say last weekend we spent some time at the range and the Colt is well what can you say its a COLT! over a grand, the G21 was little over 675 and change and is as sweet as my G19. Don't get me wrong I love almost any 1911 but for the money the G21 is dang accurate straight out of the box and he also carries his as a C/C handgun of course he is 6 ft 6 and I'm 5 ft 7 so it is somewhat easier for him.

12. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

From what I've read, aside from Springfield's 9mm that was designed from the ground up, stick with 45 ACP. Colt and Springfield productions are what I like. If you want to carry, I'd say Ed Brown or Bill Wilson. I don't like external extractors for 1911s like those on the Kimber and the Para.

I only have one 1911. It's a Colt outfitted by Mars Armament.

It's hard to beat a Glock for the price, or any polymer, for that matter.

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

Carried a 1911 every day in the Army, have had a Colt Series 70 Mk.IV for 25+ years. No disrespect to Glock and the other more modern auto pistols, if I could only have one, my Colt would be the one I'd grab.

14. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Colt series 70 is one of my favorites. The Sig 1911's I've seen have feeding issues if not perfectly clean. Tarus should stick with revolvers, they just don't function smooth and have a lot of ejection issues. I have no experience with the Rock Island 1911's but have heard good things for the price.

15. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks

Thank you all for your posts!! I am well on my way to educating myself on the 1911's. There sure are some nice ones out there. Of course, I'll most likely keep cc my G19... First love and all.