Compact .45

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by MarinewithaGlock, May 10, 2012.

1. MarinewithaGlock

MarinewithaGlock Premium Member

Why doesn't Glock make a compact .45ACP? You either have to get a full size 21 or go with the 30 or 36 subcompact. It seems they would have a huge market for it. I know I would be fighting to be first in line to get one.

2. When you say compact, do you mean something like a single stack pocket gun similar in size to a Ruger LCP? If this is the case, I'm not so sure I'd want to shoot a .45 in a pocket size... don't much like shooting 380 pocket guns - my hands are too big for them, and guns that small tend to jump to the point where I have to reset my grip after every shot. Think a pocket 45 would recoil to the point of leaving my hand altogether.

*edit* Another thing that jumps into my mind is capacity. Most pocket 380's hold only 6 +1 rounds. I'd imagine a pocket .45 the same size would only be able to hold 4 +1.

3. MarinewithaGlock

I'm talking Glock's classification of a compact. Along the lines of a Glock 23 but in .45 ACP. The size you're talking about is a subcompact like the Glock 30 and 36. I wish they made a midrange .45 between the size of the 21 and 30 size. Along the lines of a 4-4.25" barrel with probably 11-12 rd double stack mag.

4. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a Glock that is .45 and between a full size and subcompact then you have to go with a G38 .45 GAP... It's a reliable gun and same .45 power in a standard frame, I own the full size G37 .45 GAP and it's amazing... The reason that Glock doesn't make one is supply and demand. There isn't high enough demand for Glock to spend the $ to produce the size and supply it to customers... Maybe things will change in the future but my own opinion, I wouldn't hold your breath

5. MarinewithaGlock

How abundant is the GAP ammo supply and is it expensive? I know ACP is obviously more expensive than .40 S&W but how much more would I have to splurge for the GAP? And is the GAP Glock wider than regular Glock models like the 21 and 30?

6. Gotchya, sorry for my confusion. Really glad you posted the question, because I just assumed they did offer a 45 size between the 21 and 30. Learn something every day here!

According to Glock, the 38 is 0.1 inches thinner than a 21

7. nyycanseco33

It's not the easiest to find but I have better luck buying bulk online, it's roughly similar in price to ACP (give or take a few dollars). The GAP slides are the same width as the ACP models but the frame is standard size like the G17 which makes it more appealing to some who find it difficult to hold onto the larger/wider ACP models. I have both a G37 and a G21, I really wish you were here so you could hold them and feel the difference in size and compare how they shoot, I think you'd really enjoy the GAP performance

8. MarinewithaGlock

Well it seems like I'm gonna have to go to the local gun store (Bud's Gun Shop, same shop as the online store) and rent a couple of .45 ACPs and see if they have some GAPs to try as well. Which will probably just make the decision harder since I'll probably want one of each. Haha.

What are the major differences in the ACP and GAP? I know the GAP round is a little shorter but that's about the only thing I know.

9. MarinewithaGlock

And another question, I looked on Glock's website and it said the 38 came with a standard 8 rd mag with optional 10/11 rd mag. I assume the 8 rd mag is a single stack. Is the 10/11 rd optional mag a regular sized mag just single stacked or is it just where the full size Glock .45 GAP mags will also fit in the 38 like most Glocks?

10. nyycanseco33

I really wish I had all the numbers and info for you but I'm at work right now and everything is in my gun repair cart, I'll def check it at home and get back to you on this.

I've heard good things about Bud's, I'm just curious if Bud's is a blue label dealer and if you qualify for the program? Def might be something to check on as it sometimes is a significant discount. I'll post a picture that shows qualifications, def something worth check into :)

Attached Files:

11. MarinewithaGlock

I'm in no rush, I'm doing my research so when the money catches up I won't have to wait any longer than I have to. I haven't had too much experience with Buds on the sales side as I just moved to Lexington and bought my 23 in Louisville but I have utilized their ranges which are spectacular. I'm not sure if they are a "blue label" dealer and if this is different from the Glock for Heroes program which I know I do qualify for and it gave me a pretty good discount. I paid 475 for a brand new Gen3 (gen4 23s hadn't hit the market yet) 23 with night sights and 3 mags. I'm not sure if a "blue label" discount would be more.

12. nyycanseco33

Yes the other glock GAP mags will fit in the G38 but I think standard for the G37 is 10 round due to the standard frame, if they double stacked them to make a higher capacity mag then I believe the frame would have to be like a G21 in size. 10 rounds isn't a lot but our state police here like them and if it takes 10+ .45 rounds to take down the threat then IMO it's time to look for a career change real fast... I use the G37 as my home defense gun :)

13. MarinewithaGlock

Yea that's what I was afraid of, bumping in caliber and having to drop down to 8 rds single stack and still have the mag sit flush. That's why I'm staying away from 1911's among other reasons.

14. nyycanseco33

I'm not familiar with the Glocks for Hero's program, I assume it's very similar to the blue label program. Please explain for myself and others too :)

Also check out that pic I posted, it has the blue label qualifications on it, not sure if it's more or less than the Hero's program you referred to but I imagine $475 is probably similar to what blue label would be too, either way great deal

Also just curious about how you qualify for your Hero's program, I'm assuming military or LEO service? If so thank you for your sacrifice, dedication, support, and service you have provided :)

EDIT: just read your screen name, obviously a marine, great :) my grandfather was a marine and a survivor of the chosin reservoir :)

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  15. MarinewithaGlock

After I read the qualifications or the blue label program (should've read first but couldn't get it to load till after I posted) I believe they are the same program. In 2010 when I bought my Glock it was called Glock for Heroes and I qualified for military service, corrections officer and volunteer firefighter. They needed to see an ID and I asked them which one they wanted lol. I assume it either changed names or could be called different names by different states or stores. But they all come with 3 mags and you had the option of standard sights or regular sights. A G23 with standard sights ran 425, 475 if you wanted factory Glock night sights. Which by the way, work great. Nice white 3-dot system in lit situations and a nice green glow (not too bright, not too dark) in low light situations.

Edit: just saw your edit and that's awesome that he's a Chosin survivor. I bet he has some crazy stories. My Afghan stories wouldn't hold a candle to his experience.

16. nyycanseco33

Yeah must be the same program, blue label comes with 3 mags also and similar qualifications. :)

I like the Glock night sights, just recently installed some on my G30

Attached Files:

17. MarinewithaGlock

I think they are just as good as some major night sight companies. I'm very happy with them. I've relied on them in dark houses and they've never let me down.

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

The reason they don't is that the size difference between the "subcompact" 30, which is barely smaller than a G19, the size difference from the fullsize 21 to what a compact would end up being is so small as to make no difference. There's really not much room in there to make another gun. The G30 is 10 rounds, the G21 is 13. You want them to make another gun that holds 1-2 rounds difference from the current lineup?

Anything they made would be ~1/2" difference in total length and height, with no other differences in dimensions.

If you compare it to the current compacts, like the 38, the 30 is only .38 inches shorter and .06 inches on the sight radius.

The ACP & GAP are nearly identical ballistically. The GAP tends to just exceed the ACP's ballistics. The GAP fits in the 9mm/.40 sized frame.

The 10 round magazine is the standard magazine for the G37, the fullsize .45GAP. The "11 round" magazine is just the 10 round with a +1 on it from the factory.

The magazines are not, actually, single stack. They're offset, not double or single. Somewhere in between.

The Glock night sights are actually made by Meprolight.

19. MarinewithaGlock

Great answers Jonm61. You pretty much answered everything. I didn't know Meprolight made Glock's night sights but it is good to know if I ever go to buy night sights for any other weapon. While I know I can't always have everything I want in life like a Glock the same size as my 23 but chambered in a .45 at least I know there are options to choose from that are pretty close. Who knows, I'll probably end up gettin one of each and maybe one chambered in GAP too. But that'll be an on going project.