Glock Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I have the body of a god........Budda
6,346 Posts
So what is better duracoat or cerakote ?
Stay tuned. Next month we plan to have a YouTube torture test comparison posted as soon as two glock slides have been coated and cured.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Okay, Better is relative. If you want to apply a coating that will be ultra durable, use Cerakote. But be warned, the more durable a coating is, the harder it is to strip, so if your one of those people that change their mind, and want a different "Look" all the time, it wouldn't be the best choice.

Duracoat is a Urethane hardened paint, pretty much the same as your Basecoat/Clearcoat automotive finishes. Fairly durable, but still pretty easy to strip if you want to change it to something else.

Happy? Happy.

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
I posted this answer to the same question in another thread a few days ago....I have been duracoating for over 4 years and love the stuff, but started using cerakote 3-4 months ago and I like it a little more than the duracoat.

I do like duracoat, and when the surface is properly prepped and the duracoat is given time to FULLY cure (3-4 weeks) duracoat is a great finish that will last a long time. You can use it after 24 hours, but the guns that get to fully cure, have finishes that hold up the best over time. I have seen this proven in many of the guns I have coated over the years.

All that being said, I like cerakote better. It air cures in 5 days or oven cures immediately and seems to me to be a more durable finish to everyday wear than duracoat.

Duracoat has more color options, but given a choice, I will go with cerakote (and they are adding new colors all the time).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.