Glock Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that cast lead bullets are a booming no. Are coated bullets in the same category? For reference, I have a 2nd generation model 22 that's made in Austria.

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
I know that cast lead bullets are a booming no. Are coated bullets in the same category? For reference, I have a 2nd generation model 22 that's made in Austria.

As to if they are ok through a 22.2, I’d call Underwood and ask. They are very customer service friendly.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
No, HiTek coated bullets do not lead at all. And hard cast lead has never really been an issue for OEM Glocks, except more frequent cleaning for polygonal versus cut rifling barrels. I went thru GunSite in 92 with a G23 running 180 gr hard cast, over 2,200 rounds. In fact, it was the only gun that ran the whole class to the chagrin of all the other students running high end 1911's.....

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
No, HiTek coated bullets do not lead at all. And hard cast lead has never really been an issue for OEM Glocks, except more frequent cleaning for polygonal versus cut rifling barrels. I went thru GunSite in 92 with a G23 running 180 gr hard cast, over 2,200 rounds. In fact, it was the only gun that ran the whole class to the chagrin of all the other students running high end 1911's.....
This,and I've always found polygonal easier to clean from hard cast lead over conventional riflinging.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Except that lead is much easier to clean from SS rifled barrels using the old Bullseye Shooters cocktail, 50/50 mixture of household strength white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Clean the barrel with Hoppes and dry. Pour in the cocktail, wait 5 minutes, lead b gone. No scrubbing, no abrasive.

Ending up getting Federal SS barrels for the Glocks I used back in the 90's. They were like $69 back then.

Before and after the cocktail. G21 Federal barrel.

Automotive tire Ball Automotive lighting Cloud Sky

Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Rim Circle

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
I was more worried about Underwood’s loads in a 22.2, but I’m sure it would be fine. I should of been more clear the hi-tek coating is good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
HiTek appeared in Australia IPSC more than 30 years ago. It was also popular in Europe. Just took the Americans a while to catch on to it. Same accuracy as high end jacketed hollow points (sans USPSA Open guns with comps), perfect for Minor floor.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Polymer striker fired pistols never KaBoom….
Despite what all the casual shooters say about never using reloads, new ammo is no guarantee either. Steak ammo, ie, tracer... How does watching a tracer round improve your accuracy if it has already left the barrel. Oh, I watched a mike!

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
Despite what all the casual shooters say about never using reloads, new ammo is no guarantee either. Steak ammo, ie, tracer... How does watching a tracer round improve your accuracy if it has already left the barrel. Oh, I watched a mike!
I’d never shoot that stuff. A friend of mine bought some & KB’d his VP9 with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts