Glock Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
I lightly oil the firing pin, as well as the spring, and thoroughly wipe off all excess, because I clean with ultrasonics every time I shoot, and the cleaning process strips all lubricant coatings off.

Never had a problem.
When you do the ultrasonic. What solvent do you use HS1? Is that a full field strip cleaning...I there such a video on it?

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Full detail strip.

Tap water (2.5 gals in the ultrasonic cleaning tub, with one cap full of Hornady Gun Cleaning Solution), 8 minute cycle, move parts around, another 8 minute cycle, take everything out and rinse in hot tap water, blow-dry with compressed air, lube and reassemble. No scrubbing, no messy chemicals.

Soon as I am done with another How-To for here, I will make a How-To on using ultrasonics for cleaning guns and spent casings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
Full detail strip.

Tap water (2.5 gals in the ultrasonic cleaning tub, with one cap full of Hornady Gun Cleaning Solution), 8 minute cycle, move parts around, another 8 minute cycle, take everything out and rinse in hot tap water, blow-dry with compressed air, lube and reassemble. No scrubbing, no messy chemicals.

Soon as I am done with another How-To for here, I will make a How-To on using ultrasonics for cleaning guns and spent casings.
Sounds like we can really save a lot of time and manual labor using this cleaning method. Happysniper1, what brand do you use for the ultrasonic cleaning tub?

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
The subject of this thread is also discussed in another thread, "Cleaning and Lubricating" and can be found here: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/cleaning-lubricating-1851/

The cleaning methods I use are also described in another thread, "Ultrasonic Cleaner" and can be found here: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/ultrasonic-cleaner-2552/

I use two different ultrasonic cleaners, a Crest HG-570 (no longer in manufacture, replaced by newer model HG-575) and cost me about $700.

The other one I use is from Harbor Freight, manufactured by Chicago Electric, and available for about $70 at www.harborfreight.com . Lyman markets a product almost identical to the HF ultrasonic for something like $120 and is availablea t MidwayUSA at www.midwayusa.com .

The HG570 is the most efficient cleaner I have ever had, usually cleans anything (spent brass for reloading, or firearms) in a single cycle. The HF branded one requires multiple cycles, but it also gets the job done. The upside of the HF one is it has a smaller tub, so less discarded cleaning agent after each use. I do not often store used cleaning agent (BTW, I use Hornady Gun Cleaning solution and Hornady Brass Cleaning solution, depending on what I am cleaning). Anyway, I use the HG570 (I call it "The Monster") when I have a bunch of guns to clean (a service I offer locally only) or a ton of brass to clean.

More details in both of those threads.

Oh, and I never have to scrub gun parts or bores with anything afterwards. Just a careful lube-down and wipe of excess.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.