Cleaning ritual?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jrs1006, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jrs1006

jrs1006 New Member

I just bought my first gun (G19) about a week ago. I have yet to fire it, but I will take it out this weekend. My question is about the cleaning an maintenance.

What do you use to clean it? The sales guy sold me a boresnake. Would you advise using that? I've got the manual and can look through that for instruction, I was just curious what everyone else does. Also, how often do you clean it?

Thanks in advance.

2. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

Congrats on a great purchase! It's all about preference, I personally don't use a bore snake. I use a toothbrush and some q-tips with Hoppes elite and clean the barrel and slide. Be careful not to get anything in the firing pin hole in the slide. Then I oil per the manual VERY LIGHTLY as glocks are made to run on almost no oil. Here's a good video, and again this is just my 2 cents, you will get ten other responses soon here. I also clean my guns after every range trip, again, not necessarily needed but I like to keep a clean gun. Good luck with that G19 and safe shooting!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Well , for the ritual, we start off with a live chicken, ........just joking.
    I use the nylon brush to clean the barrel with first, the a quality solvent on a patch a few times until I get a clean patch followed with a dry patch, then a lubricated patch, just not much oil on it. On the slide, I brush it with a small nylon brush or tooth brush, wipe down with light coat of CLP. Every other cleaning, I remove the trigger assembly and firing pin and do a complete cleaning of each part. Once I have reassembled, I use a very small amount of Rem Oil sprayed on a clean rag and wipe the exterior down. Just remember, it does not require a lot of oil on the internals. On a full tear down, I only use about 3 drops of CLP and apply it with a Q-tip. I clean mine after every trip to the range. Yes, it is over kill for a Glock, but I like them to stay clean.

4. glock19desertranger

^^^^what birdoggyz said.....less the chicken.

5. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Run a bore brush with cleaner, a little scrub with Hoppes, Never near the firing pin, PATCH<PATCH<PATCH clean, a WEEEEEE little oil for the rails, once a month or so. Seems to be all she needs!!

6. bore snakes are useless on pistols. Me I shoot it a lot. Once in while i toss it in the dishwasher and then lube it with CLP.

ok i'm kidding, but I do use CLP.

7. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Not a snake, the little brush, once, with a cleaner soaked patch! Does a great job!

8. Not u, post #2 ;)

9. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Oops, Gotcha! I was wondering, I almost never clean mine!! Least of all do I take it apart. Maybe you did while you had it apart??:eek::D

10. I blow em out with the airgun. Yours was in good shape so i didnt lube it. I use clp and didnt want it running off into the paint. Sometimes they come in and all the interals go right into a jar of cleaner they are so bad.

11. shoognite

shoognite New Member

I don't think I've ever cleaned my G19. It's got an easy 5-6k rounds through it. Maybe wiped it down once or twice to get mud/sand off.

12. glock19desertranger

Was it my post?

13. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

That means mine was probably the cleanest well used gun you have ever seen. That was my very first glock, so it is the oldest.

14. yours was the most disasembled one i have ever got...it was nice and confusing at the same time. When i was packing it to ship i searched for the ziplock of all the frame parts for 30 min or so before i remembered.

15. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

You said to send it in Disassembled. That's how I sent it. I tear minne down that far when I clean them. GAgal can tear hers completely down also. Taught her right.:D

16. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

JRS1006, sorry to hijack your thread, back on topic...

Attached Files:

• lub.jpg
      lub.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  17. bigben

bigben Member

Field strip, clean, and kiss daily.

Is this normal?!?! Lol.

18. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

No,:eek: That is a sickness,:( Glocks do not shoot correct unless they are somewhat dirty!!;):D

19. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Then clean it and talk dirty to it.:D

20. DEZRTFOX

DEZRTFOX New Member

All I can say is " FROGLUBE ". The best thing on this planet at the moment. But that is just my option.