Glock Forum banner

cleaning of a carry gun

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  sgtcowboyusmc 
#1 ·
I always detail strip and clean my guns after every range trip "call it ocd" haha...but my question to y'all is too much cleaning a bad thing. Any kind of premature wear from excessive cleaning. Also what about carry guns to y'all clean them every so often even if you haven't shot them

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think it is necessary to detail strip after every range session unless you've shot lots of rounds 500+. I detail strip mine about every 3rd range trip, every other time is just a field strip cleaning out any debris and the bore. And yes I clean my carry gun even if I haven't shot it in a while. Another thing I do is use air duster to clear and lint that may have built up from CCing.

#10 ·
Carry pistols are cleaned and oiled once per month. Any pistol fired at the range is then field stripped, cleaned and oiled. Constant detail stripping, except for occasional cleaning of the striker channel, is not needed and can be damaging. Removing the frame pins on a Glock too often will result in holes too big to properly hold the pins in position. Bill

#11 ·
Detail every range session regardless of round count. This allows inspection if anything is broken/worn/ about to break.
Monthly on ccw gets a field strip, inspect, light clean and lube.

ditto...you cant hurt a glock by cleaning it too much...a clean gun functions better than a dirty one..plain and simple...i clean after every range session and a thorough inspection for the ccw pistol/revolvers

#12 ·
Thoroughly cleaned after each and every range session..and then if not shot, but carried, each gun gets wiped down everyday with a silicone cloth. Then about every three months, each gun gets a day at the spa..field stripped, cleaned, lubed, dry fired while watching cowboys and indians, and then put away. I put all of my guns in the carry rotation as well.

#13 ·
I clean after every range session to include detail stripping of the slide (FP assy remains intact - in other words I do not remove the spring cups). The frame does not get detailed stripped. There are no issues with detail stripping the slide and adds less than 5 minutes to the cleaning routine. FP assy, EDP assy, FPS assy, and slide cover plate get a quick wipe with alcohol. The FP channel gets swabbed with dry q-tips after the breech face on slide gets brushed with Ballistol (because it will work its way in there a little at a time). The extractor gets brushed with Ballistol. Frame interals are cleaned using q-tips and alcohol.

#14 ·
I forget who said it, I believe it was an article I read that was written by a competition shooter, who made a point that I'd never considered before. You go to the range, then you come home and clean your gun. This will apply even more to those who detail strip often, after you clean it, how do you know it's fully functional when you put it back together? You can dry fire it all day long; that doesn't put it under the stress of recoil to ensure that it is functioning correctly.

He recommended shooting another 100 rounds before holstering, to ensure that it's 100%. Holstering a gun that was just fired is the only way to be certain that the gun will, actually, go bang when you need it.

I haven't altered my routine yet, but I just read the article not too long ago. It's something to consider.

As far as detail stripping goes, doing it more than every 6 months/5000 rounds is unnecessary, at least according to the armorers who work for Glock. Personally, I spray down my frame with Gun Scrubber when I clean. So far, every gun that I've taken in for inspection and cleaning at Glock have come back to me telling me they didn't have anything to clean except the striker channel. I've adjusted my clean/lube routine based on their instruction, basically cutting way back on the amount of oil I used on the slide, and things have improved greatly in that regard. As long as the striker's still rattling freely in the channel, it's good. If it's slow or sounds deadened, or isn't moving at all, then it's a problem.

#18 ·
I forget who said it, I believe it was an article I read that was written by a competition shooter, who made a point that I'd never considered before. You go to the range, then you come home and clean your gun. This will apply even more to those who detail strip often, after you clean it, how do you know it's fully functional when you put it back together? You can dry fire it all day long; that doesn't put it under the stress of recoil to ensure that it is functioning correctly.

He recommended shooting another 100 rounds before holstering, to ensure that it's 100%. Holstering a gun that was just fired is the only way to be certain that the gun will, actually, go bang when you need it.

I haven't altered my routine yet, but I just read the article not too long ago. It's something to consider.
Well......

Dude does have a point.

Interesting.

#21 ·
jonm61 said:

As far as detail stripping goes, doing it more than every 6 months/5000 rounds is unnecessary, at least according to the armorers who work for Glock. Personally, I spray down my frame with Gun Scrubber when I clean. So far, every gun that I've taken in for inspection and cleaning at Glock have come back to me telling me they didn't have anything to clean except the striker channel. I've adjusted my clean/lube routine based on their instruction, basically cutting way back on the amount of oil I used on the slide, and things have improved greatly in that regard. As long as the striker's still rattling freely in the channel, it's good. If it's slow or sounds deadened, or isn't moving at all, then it's a problem.
+1 although I don't think it'll take 100 rnds to function check

#22 ·
+1 although I don't think it'll take 100 rnds to function check
No, probably not. I suppose for an active competitor, shooting a hundred rounds would be like driving your car around the block after doing a repair, just to make sure everything sounds & feels right. :)

#23 ·
Having been in the Marine Corps for 7.5 yrs it was a Habit to break down and clean my weapons immediately and for 3 consecutive days. But I came to the conclusion 15+ yrs ago that that was not only excessive but especially with auto-loaders you really don't know if it is ready or not with out some rounds through it. With my own Pistols and Revolvers I rarely clean them after shooting them with the exception of the feed ramp which I wipe down after every range session. Rifles are a different story I usually punch the bore and wipe down feed ramps/throats/chamber of my rifles. To each his own but I do think it excessive to clean them everytime they are shot. Not sure if our compulsion to throughly clean our weapons after each range session is from the old corrosive ammo or just our pride in having and or showing off a clean weapon.
Thanks for posting jonm61
Edit: I edited this to add I clean them when I feel it is dirty and needs it. Usually if I can not remember the last time I cleaned it then it probably is time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.