Cleaning my Glock

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by G17_Ian, Mar 18, 2012.

1. G17_Ian

G17_Ian New Member

Just got my G17, and was wondering how often I should clean it? After every range session? After a certain amount of rounds? What do you guys think?

2. Glocked

Glocked New Member

It's your preference. I clean any weapon after I fire it that same day regardless of how many rounds I fire.

3. Kirby

Kirby New Member

Depends on how many rounds you do on the range. If you do les than 30 rounds I would say no but most people do about 50-100 rounds so cleaning is recommended but Glocks are really great guns and with stand a lot so it would be your preference. When in doubt clean it out.

4. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

I do mind after 150 or so rounds. Many Glock owners will tell you they hardly ever clean theirs, that's one of the great things about Glocks. I just have to clean mine, though. At least a field strip clean. Detail strip about about 1500 rounds. My youngest told me "Your hobby is really cleaning the guns. Going to the range to get them dirty is just an excuse." Might be some truth in that

5. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Just because you can get away with not cleaning it, doesn't mean you should...especially if you carry it. My opinion only. What purpose does that serve? It doesn't take but a few minutes to clean the barrel and carbon out of your slide and receiver (field strip). I clean mine every time after I shoot regardless of round count. Preventative maintenance, I'd rather know that I did my part whether I needed to or not since I'm not a fortune teller.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I clean mine after each range session because it is my EDC.

7. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I clean mine about every other trip to the range unless I shoot a lot. My gun got a free cleaning yesterday when I accidentally dropped it in the toilet...haha. True story, I had it in my IWB holster, and I was tugging at it to change the position when my grip slipped, and I hit the handle with some force sending it flying across the bathroom straight into the toilet.

8. G17_Ian

G17_Ian New Member

Wow hope whoever used that toilet last flushed!

9. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I agree 100% with everything said here. Preventive Maintenance is a must in my book as well.
    If you use this wepon for self protection, home protection, or just as a hobby, what is a few minutes to insure your wepon is clean and functional and ready for Whatever?

10. G17_Ian

G17_Ian New Member

I agree the plan was to clean it after every trip to the range, unless I got an overwhelming response saying otherwise. I din have to change my car oil every 3000, i just choose to to prevent problems

11. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Clean every time its used. Cause the one time you don't is when you'll need it. Granted its a Glock so it will still work like a champ. But the time it takes to clean it each time is enough to ensure that its 100% when I NEED it to be. Besides you may find it a nice cathartic release :D

12. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

I clean mines each time I go to the range. BTW Welcome to the forum!!!

13. G17_Ian

G17_Ian New Member

Thanks for the help fellas, and for the welcome Miguel!

14. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

No problem fams. :)

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

FWIW, anything I've shot gets cleaned when I get home, or the following day. My cleaning regimen is simple (I use ultrasonic cleaners), and there is no excuse not to clean them. Besides, if my life should ever have to depend on it, I do not want the chance that some crud or carbon buildup will cause my weapon to fail or misfire.

16. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

Well said.....

17. DDPG17

DDPG17 New Member

Maine
    We put another 200 rounds through my 17 and my dads 19, field stripped both guns. Especially when using someone elses gun, make sure they get them back clean! Had a great time, brought out the Ruger .22, and put through a couple hundred rounds through that too. Now I need more ammo...but for cleaning, I clean after every range session