Cleaning brass

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Sw10mm, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Sw10mm

Sw10mm New Member

Any of ya'll clean your brass? Ive heard some not cleaning it, ive heard some using a tumbler and some using some kind of solution what do you do?

2. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Brasso, Walnut shell (bird bedding), and a bit of Brasso in a mini-tumbler.

Two different camps on this one. Depends on how you're taught I guess. Lots of people do it for pistol ammo and have no issues. Others mess up their reloading equip if they don't clean. I was taught to always clean. I'm OCD like that, though.

D

3. Iwrush

Iwrush New Member

Rcbs tumbler and i use walnut shell for about 3-4 hours for about 500 rds

4. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

I mix up some Lemi-Shine with warm water and a drop of dish detergent. Swish around, rinse then
    Spread on a towel and let dry. After its dry, i tumble with corncob media with a few dollops od Nu-Finish car polish for about 3hrs. Brass comes out like new.

5. Case Tumbler with Corn Cob media. Couple hours and they look like new. Also had some Cabella's Case Polish(probably the same stuff as Brasso) that I put into the media, helps to make em' really shine.
    It's nice loading clean, shinny brass, when you're done it actually looks like new ammo.:D

6. I've switched to Stainless Steel Media. It requires you to wet tumble your brass in water and detergent, but your brass will come out like new. This was some .223 range pickup brass I cleaned with this method. This stuff was filthy, with some of it almost completely black in color. You can see how it cleaned the inside, as well as the outside to like new condition. It even cleaned the burr on the flash hole!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dwcfastrice

Is this run in a "tumbler" or can it be run in a "Shaker"?

D

8. It has to be run in a wet type tumbler like the Thumler's Tumbler. A vibratory type tumbler will not agitate it sufficiently. Here is a video on it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdvq3Kc_Vm0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-6SOiWE8Hc[/ame]

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

...been looking into using SS ......

10. dwcfastrice

Bah! I only have a shaker. I don't reload. I just do it to clean the brass before i give it to my reloader.

Thanks for the info.

D

11. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

To make your corncob media last longer put a used dryer sheet cut in half with your brass.