Glock Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Darksider Chick
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought my first gun, a Glock G19 gen4 today. I have been shooting rented guns for the past 2 days to find the right one, and I am hoping to shoot my own tomorrow.

The salesmen at the local store were extremely helpful, and I was there with a friend in the military, yet somehow ended up not buying a kit for cleaning the gun. I know buying a cleaning kit was discussed, but we got busy dealing with all of the other aspects of buying a gun for the first time (what gun, how to store the gun safely, etc.).

Another friend of mine is quite the gun enthusiast/owner and says that he doesn't think the initial cleaning is necessary, and that I also shouldn't field strip it alone the first time.

Does anyone know if I need to clean it before its first use? If so, should I get help with it, or would the owner's manual and 2 degrees in mechanical engineering be sufficient to figure it out?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No easy answer. Congrats on your purchase. Many clean it first but some do not. The more you field strip it the more comfortable you will feel, its only 4 components. It is yours so get comfy and enjoy!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is usually recommended but I have not cleaned any of mine before I shot it the first time. I always clean after shooting though. I have a gen3 G19 and it is very easy to field strip and clean. If you look over the manual I think you should be able to figure it out. The glock is one of the easiest to field strip. If you have questions you can always post it here to be answered. The glock was my first gun and I had never taken one apart before that. It was very easy to figure out.

Here is a good link that I was given that may help you also.
http://glocktips.com/glock-field-strip-with-detailed-photos/

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I usually just run a patch down the barrel and put a drop of lube per the locations in your owners manual on a new gun... then shoot the snot out of it.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Stop asking questions and go shoot it already. I promise you, you can take that G19 out of the box and shoot it for 5 years without cleaning it and it'll still run just fine.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
You won't have any problems field stripping it by yourself, just remember to dry-fire it before trying to remove the slide and the rest is a piece of cake.

Not really necessary to clean it before shooting for the first time, but it is a good idea to at least run a patch through the barrel once, just to get rid of any excess factory lube in there.

·
1,310 Posts
Fort said:
Hi all,

I bought my first gun, a Glock G19 gen4 today. I have been shooting rented guns for the past 2 days to find the right one, and I am hoping to shoot my own tomorrow.

The salesmen at the local store were extremely helpful, and I was there with a friend in the military, yet somehow ended up not buying a kit for cleaning the gun. I know buying a cleaning kit was discussed, but we got busy dealing with all of the other aspects of buying a gun for the first time (what gun, how to store the gun safely, etc.).

Another friend of mine is quite the gun enthusiast/owner and says that he doesn't think the initial cleaning is necessary, and that I also shouldn't field strip it alone the first time.

Does anyone know if I need to clean it before its first use? If so, should I get help with it, or would the owner's manual and 2 degrees in mechanical engineering be sufficient to figure it out?

Thanks in advance.
No need to clean it for a while. Where I buy my Glocks, the armorers tell me not to clean it for at least 500 rounds to let the factory fold grease help break in the action..so I don't.

·
Registered
406 Posts
buzznrose said:
No need to clean it for a while. Where I buy my Glocks, the armorers tell me not to clean it for at least 500 rounds to let the factory fold grease help break in the action..so I don't.
what he said. have fun and shoot it.

·
Darksider Chick
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your help!

I was hoping to go shooting today but that didn't work out. My Mom is in Hospice at my home, the cancer has spread to her brain, and she had a seizure that lasted at least 4 or 5 minutes. I found out just how quick the fire department can get here (they were super quick) but I am just settling down now from being afraid she wasn't going to come out of it.

Hopefully I can get to the range and use my own Glock in the next few days. The Glock rental yesterday was impressive enough that I bought mine, but I am guessing there is something special about shooting my own. :)

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help!

I was hoping to go shooting today but that didn't work out. My Mom is in Hospice at my home, the cancer has spread to her brain, and she had a seizure that lasted at least 4 or 5 minutes. I found out just how quick the fire department can get here (they were super quick) but I am just settling down now from being afraid she wasn't going to come out of it.

Hopefully I can get to the range and use my own Glock in the next few days. The Glock rental yesterday was impressive enough that I bought mine, but I am guessing there is something special about shooting my own. :)
Best wishes to you and your MOM Fort!! The Glock will be there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You won't have any problems field stripping it by yourself, just remember to dry-fire it before trying to remove the slide and the rest is a piece of cake.

Not really necessary to clean it before shooting for the first time, but it is a good idea to at least run a patch through the barrel once, just to get rid of any excess factory lube in there.
That always gets me! Why the heck won't this thing come apart, lol. Oh yeah, duh...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I would "Field Strip" and run a clean patch thru the barrel just to insure all is good. Besides, it will give you a little practice.
Congrads on you new G19 a fine choice you made.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
FOXMAN said:
which gun is the best buy the g19 or g17 and which gen 4 or gen 3? thank you,
Welcome to the forum FOXMAN. Unfortunately, there is no definite answer to that question. It is more of a personal preference and comes down to what you want from the pistol. Home defense, competition, concealed carry, etc...

I own a G17 and a G26, both Gen 4s. I love them both.

Some like the G19 b/c it offers what they think is the sweet spot between a full size and a sub compact. The 19 conceals well, shoots well, and offers good capacity. I carry my G26.

If you can, go to a local range and rent both models in both Gens. Afterward, decide what fits and shoots best for you. Keep in mind that while some can conceal a 17 (or any full size) with no issue, others feel they are just too big for that purpose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.