Cleaned Out Slide

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by PeacefulWarrior, Jul 19, 2012.

1. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

Was watching Hickok45 yesterday, at home sick this week, and decided to follow his instructional video. Took the slide apart (VERY easy) on my Glock 19/4th Gen... Have maybe put 1,500+ rounds through this since it was new in March. Hard to believe how much metal & carbon I 'harvested' from there! (two photos below)

image-1295803795.jpg

image-2654795892.jpg

2. PeacefulWarrior

Yes, I used q-tips! I checked thoroughly to make certain not a single fiber was left behind. I'm going to get some pipe cleaners sooner or later.

3. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Looks about right really.

4. PeacefulWarrior

It's what I expected after what Hickok45 & a few other sources said to expect... I guess that, as someone fairly new to handguns, I never considered what was going on in there. Gave me something new to learn as well...

5. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Great! Knowing how to detail strip your gun is very important. I also allows you to monitor 'wear and tear.' Getting it apart is fun, getting it back together in working order is even more fun! :)

6. PeacefulWarrior

I'll address the rest of the Glock this winter! I didn't expect to do anything like this so soon, but my military past and being sick this week made me want to do something 'new.'
    I've only been shooting (pistol) since March... a new hobby. I already own three guns since February (G19, XD9 subcompact, Ruger LC9-LM)... I don't foresee taking the XD or Ruger apart like the Glock. Love the Glock & glad I was 'smart' enough to buy it first!