Glock Forum banner

Chambering Snap Caps Question

199 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  G29guy
After I saw a couple pics of glocks with the breech face punched out from excessive dry firing I decided to use snap caps as much as possible.

I only have 2 mags and it's frankly a PITA to unload one and fill it with snap caps just to chamber them "correctly" (stripped from the mag) so most of the time I just plop one in the chamber, ride the slide fwd and then give it a little bop with my palm to pop the extractor over the snap cap rim. Dry fire, pull the slide just enough to reset the trigger, rinse and repeat.

Thoughts on if this will STILL F' up the extractor or if it's no big deal?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This depends on the extractor.
Different era Glock parts, most are MIM, metal injection molded. Some hold up well and some do not. A minor flaw or air bubble in the injection process can render one useless on range day #1. Aftermarket is also available, a bit pricey for a solid metal part.
There is also different extractor depressor plunger spring weights available.

Whenever I strip down a pistol for an extensive cleaning I usually examine the extractor with a 10x eye loupe to determine wear.

To answer your question it is a crap shoot. If it is holding up well roll with it.
Reactions: 2
I think you’re more apt to break your extractor doing that than damage your breechface from dry firing.
I’d recommend buying some more magazines as they are cheap and it’s always good to have extra mags.
I think 5 mags is a good number but if you shoot a lot and/or do competition, 8+ would be preferable.

I don’t shoot competitions.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
I am new to Glocks so I have yet to run into either a breach face or extractor issue from dry firing.
I don't dry fire excessively, maybe only 100 times per day for 30 years or so. But, your mileage may vary.
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I am new to Glocks so I have yet to run into either a breach face or extractor issue from dry firing.
I don't dry fire excessively, maybe only 100 times per day for 30 years or so. But, your mileage may vary.
My name is my name for a reason.
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
My name is my name for a reason.
Honesty is key…and self awareness too!
After I saw a couple pics of glocks with the breech face punched out from excessive dry firing I decided to use snap caps as much as possible.

I only have 2 mags and it's frankly a PITA to unload one and fill it with snap caps just to chamber them "correctly" (stripped from the mag) so most of the time I just plop one in the chamber, ride the slide fwd and then give it a little bop with my palm to pop the extractor over the snap cap rim. Dry fire, pull the slide just enough to reset the trigger, rinse and repeat.

Thoughts on if this will STILL F' up the extractor or if it's no big deal?
You should have extra mags/ training mags. If you do a decent amount of training you’re right, it’s a pain to download and re load mags w/ caps or training ammo.

dunno what you’re running, but basically what I do is (with subcompacts) I keep the flush factory mags as extra/ empty and carry higher capacity mags. Those factory flush mags are there, empty, for training.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts