Centering the rear sight

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Chukar, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Chukar

Chukar New Member

Recently installed a new set of sights and I'm wondering what the best way is to be sure my rear sight is centered.

2. That really depends on the sights that you put on the gun. For example some Heinie sights, by design, are not supposed to be centered on the slide.

Push the rear site to wherever it need to be to shoot straight, thats all that matters. If you give us specifics on the brand and model we can help more.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I have found a laser boresighter helps tremendously when aligning sights (and scopes and red dots, too!)

4. Chukar

Chukar New Member

The sights are Advantage Tactical Sights.

5. I don't know anything about them. You could contact them and ask for a procedure, or use snipe's suggestion

6. Jweeks

Jweeks Well-Known Member Supporter

I personally use a set of dial calipers. There's a depth gauge on the end opposite the jaws that you can use to measure each side of the site down to .001 accuracy. Better depending on your calipers. But basically you measure the width of your slide and write it down, then measure the width of your sites and write it down. Subtract the two values and divide by two. Then you'll know how much space should be on each side.

Please post your thoughts on the sights as well. I've considered those but not sure yet.

7. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 Certified Glock Armorer

I usually use a ruler and measure where the center of the stock rear sight an mark a little line on the slide with a pencil, and measure the new rear sight an put a line on it with the pencil, then it's perfectly centered when installed! That's how i do it..

8. trex1310

trex1310 Heart Of Dixie

I measure the sight and put a pencil mark on the center. I measure
    the slide and put a pencil mark on the center. I then drift the sight
    until the two marks align, Wipe off pencil marks.

9. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 Certified Glock Armorer

Copy cat! Lol i do the same way, I posted above you.. Great easy way imo