CCW Restrictions

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by dogwalk, Jul 21, 2012.

1. dogwalk

dogwalk New Member

Someone told me today that CCW in a post office was not allowed and I did not agree. Maybe that applies to the employees in the back but not for the customers unless it's posted at the entrance. Weapons free zones here in Iowa are schools, courthouses, law enforcement buildings and jails. Unless otherwise posted. Dogwalk

2. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

It's federal law.... Post office is federal property and the no gun policy trumps all state laws... No weapons allowed in any federal building.

3. G29EDC

G29EDC New Member

It really all depends on if the building the Post Office is located in is owned by the feds or if it is leased from a private party. If it is owned by the feds should be posted "No Weapons". I checked into this with my local CCW trainer, who is also a LEO.

4. gladesbassin

gladesbassin Happy Member :) Supporter

My father is a retired police officer and he told me that your nit suppose to bring any weapons into post offices..but I'm in Florida so it might be different.

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Even if it is leased… all post offices are gun free zones…

US Code title 18 section 930

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
    As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    (2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.

6. Agreed! This was one of the first topics my CCW instructor discussed with the class. Oh, I don't carry in the courthouse or in schools.

7. BlackWolf is right - any post office is off-limits to guns. Be very careful about this - you are not even permitted to have a gun in your car if it is in the post office parking lot.

8. dougster

dougster New Member

I have seen a lot of threads about "can I carry here". If you carry concealed, and keep it concealed, what is the issue? Why worry about it? Unless I am going somewhere that I know I might be searched or have to pass through a metal detector, I don't see an issue of carrying. I feel that the 2nd amendment would trump any state or local laws if truly challenged. And as far as federal prohibitions, I would rather be alive to face those charges than dead from being legal.

Thoughts?

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I agree, but illegal is illegal.

10. dougster

dougster New Member

I agree completely and I would not advocate breaking the law. I have also come to believe that personal responsibility, morality, and my Father in heaven is a higher power. I don't believe that we should just turn ourselves over to things that may not have our best interest at heart.

Unfortunately in recent years the U.S. government as an institution has begun to show a disregard for civil liberties. I believe that one of our duties as a citizen is to be vigilant, and guard against an over zealous government.

Not trying to give fodder for conspiracy nuts, just saying that I'm going to protect my own! Haha

11. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

Dude, I carry in Chicago. If I were ever pulled over in my car id lock it in the glove box. Then lie if asked about weapons. Like this guy above said, gotta protect my own.

I live in WI and do have a ccw, I do understand the laws in IL but the areas I visit are rough. I've been shot at and watched my cousin take 4 shots as we ran.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  12. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

What about the post offices that in are strip malls? I have one near me that is right there with other stores. What is considered the post office parking lot at that point? I really hate these little catches in the laws that you have to watch out for.

13. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Only applies to land that is leased or owned by the federal government. If the parking space at the mall is not designated post office parking than it is safe.

14. It may be illegal but IMHO it's also UnConstitutional as well. Our Constitution is a Federal Document so if it applies anywhere it should be on Federal property.

15. Not going to get into the why's or wherefore's or I'm-going-to-do-what's-right-for-me's here. The OP was asking if it was permitted to bring a gun into a post office, and I answered the question. That's it.

16. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

It makes NO difference if the building is owned or leased by the feds, it is still Federal Property. It is still illegal to carry at any Post office Nation wide.

Just because your trainer said it was OK does not make it OK, Handgunlaw.us is the link to follow. This will keep you out of trouble from listening to someone who may not have all of the facts.

17. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

The only exception to this rule is for Federal Law Enforcement officers.

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I think what he was getting at is that if the post office is located on private property that also contains non-government entities, like if it's in a mall, then it's legal to carry on the rest of the property.

As far as post offices themselves, I've never seen one that wasn't posted as no weapons.

19. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

jonm61, the OP was about carrying in the post office which is a NO unless you are a Fed LEO. The strip mall post office is the same, the mall itself is open to carry unless posted around here anyway.

20. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I know. You were not addressing the OP's post, however. Blackwolffcf covered it in post the US Code section on the previous page.