CCW in Texas?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chaplainjosh, Feb 9, 2012.

1. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

My company is contemplating moving my family and I to Texas for a promotional opportunity. That being said, I would lose my Florida Concealed Weapons and Firearms License. I have been doing a little home work and it looks like obtaining the Texas CWP is like giving a kidney to science. Anyone out there have any suggestions or best practices for acquiring the CWP in Texas?

Thanks...

2. jwillson

jwillson New Member

I don't have one but my buddy does. The class is 75 bucks and the permit I believe is 500 for two years ( I think). Will ask him and get back to you.

3. Frogit67

Frogit67 New Member

this is what i found

It is important for license holders to understand that when they are traveling in or through another state they are subject to the firearm laws of that state. We have provided links to the state laws or to the licensing authorities' Web page of each of our reciprocity states so that licensees can do the necessary planning and research when preparing to travel.
    FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES Alabama (1,3,5) Alaska (1) Arizona (6) Arkansas (1) Colorado (1,4) Delaware Georgia (1) Idaho (3,6) Indiana (1,3,6) Iowa (6) Kansas (1) Kentucky Louisiana (1) Michigan (1,4) Mississippi (1) Missouri Montana (3) Nebraska (1) New Hampshire (1,3,4,6) New Mexico (1) North Carolina (1) North Dakota (3,6) Ohio (1) Oklahoma (1) Pennsylvania (1,6) South Carolina (1,4,6) South Dakota (1,3) Tennessee (1,6) Texas (1,3,6) Utah (1,6) Vermont (2) Virginia (1,6) Washington (1,6) West Virginia (1) Wyoming (1,3)

Concealed Handgun Licensing

Texas CHL Agreements With Other States

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. Will you be permanently moving or only short term? You need to be a Texas resident (drivers license and home address) as well.

Good things about Texas:
    Castle Law
    Right of Fresh Pursuit
    NO must-try-to-escape type laws
    Can carry a loaded firearm (pistol, rifle, etc) in your vehicle without a CHL

5. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yikes I hope it's not that much... I only spent about $200 for my 7-year CWFL in Florida. But it is what it is ... Take care

6. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

Thanks... Great info...

7. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

Thanks! I appreciate the info...

8. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

It looks like I would be relocated for at least 2 years. I would definitely be getting Tx tags and DL. I'm excited for the move (potential) and the Tx firearm laws are a major bonus.

9. rexg23

rexg23 New Member

I have chl in tx and as of June or July of 2011 you must apply for application online first and pay app fee of $135-150 not exactly sure depending we're you go for class it ranges from $90 to $120 plus your ammo includes range time yes must have digital finger prints not everywhere is set up for them 8 he class shoot 50 rounds score of 200or better to pass shoot 20 rds at 3yds. 20 rds at 7yds 10 rds at 15yds. Takes up to 60 days upon receipt of all completed paper work to get permit. Hope that helps

10. One more note: i was interested so i read some of the laws last night: unless you meet one of the special provisions, you'll have to be a Texas resident for 6 months before you can apply.

11. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

Thanks for that info... Definitely helps. In my line of work I need to have the ability to carry concealed (legally) once I leave the office. Last thing I need is to have a lapse in coverage.

12. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

Wow... Good to know. Wonder if there is any loop hole there being that I have one in Florida already and former LEO. Just don't want to have a time lapse for personal/family protection when out in public.

Thanks for the follow up.