CCW in CA

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by kawiglock, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kawiglock

kawiglock New Member

I made my appt today for my CCW interview. I'm in placer county CA. The earliest appt they had is September 2012. But I am told there are always cancellations. And I may be able to jump in earlier. Can anyone offer any tips or advice on what to expect in placer county?

2. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

WOW, I as much as I love Cali I will never live there. Too much trouble for a CCW to wait that long. Good luck in the interview.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

KawiGlock, if you do indeed get a CCW permit, know that you are one of the annointed few!

Good luck to you, my friend.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with what CA residents have to deal with!

4. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

I'm in Sac County, Kawi. "Shall Issue" here. No tips to offer but am curious on your process. I've read the guidelines on my county's sheriff's website regarding CCW. Wondering where you took the class; when did you take the class in relation to when you applied; what was the class like; etc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  5. kawiglock

kawiglock New Member

Love the Pulp Fiction reference BTW. I have not take the class yet. From what I have read, and been told by friends it goes something like this.

Interview. ( questions about past / tickets / arrests)

Accept / deny letter + request to do live scan. ( after receiving this you have 30 days to complete class and turn in live scan)

From what I heard the class involves some general fire arm lessons, along with laws pertaining to carrying,such as when you can draw your weapon, and where you can't carry. And also a qualifying test with the weapon at different distances.

This is simply what I have heard so far. Please feel free to correct or add!

6. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

Thanks for the overview, Kawi. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

8. kawiglock

kawiglock New Member

Live scan is a type of report they run similar to a background check. Except I believe it shares your information with various organizations. I know it is always needed in CA to volunteer for anything involving working with children.

I plan on updating the forum with every step the process, to hopefully help out future applicants.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Roger that...!!

I look forward to your documenting of the process...

10. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

LiveScan uses your fingerprints whereas a standard background check is "paper info" (SSN, name, address, etc).

11. kawiglock

kawiglock New Member

ROYALE

Thanks for the clarification!

12. giantsfan

giantsfan New Member

CCW Tips

I had my interview today..it went well. Lasted about 25 minutes.

He said that I had a well constructed GC statement and that not many people comment on the fact that this is a serious responsibility and that the firearm should only be used as a last resort when all means of confrontation avoidance have been exhausted.

He asked a lot of questions that I had already answered but I just figured it was part of the process.

They have added an additional day to handle the volume. I was told when I made my appointment that these appointments very rarely cancel. That said, when they added Thursdays to the interview schedule, I got a call to move my appointment up.

It was pretty laid back. I think there are a couple different interviewers though so my experience may not reflect others.

13. 3L3C7R0

3L3C7R0 New Member

Care to share the reason you gave as to why you should get a ccw. It's my impression that in kommifornia they you have to have a good reason.

14. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Because you have cities like LA and Compton and what not lol

15. kawiglock

kawiglock New Member

Id like to hear any advice you have as well. My appt is in September. What County are you in?

16. giantsfan

giantsfan New Member

I'm in real estate and my area is wrought with foreclosures and vacant homes that have become homes to vagrants, drug addicts and the like. I'm having to go look at these properties on a daily basis so I thought instead of my huge mag light I'd add a ccw. It's getting ugly out there.

Like they all say, be 100% truthful and make sure that you verbalize anything that might come up on your DOJ background check.

He asked about my relationships and how long I'd been with my wife and my ex wife as well so they look into whether or not you'll lie about anything.

That said, they're not big brother. What's going to come up is what's public knowledge or available through public sources.

He already had my DMV record, a list of every report as a result of me calling the police..I may have screwed up on that actually now that I think about it. I did call the police about a dog barking once but that was years ago...anyway.

Try and remember everything you can no matter how insignificant it seemed. My record is very clean..no tickets in 15 years or more, no arrests ever either military or civilian, no DUI, no restraining orders, I've not even done jury duty lol.

I think in Placer County they weigh moral stuff just as heavy as judicial interaction. That's the sense I got. Please keep in mind that every county is different and yes California is tougher than most to get a permit unless, like I do, you live in a more rural area. Not impossible, just very difficult.

17. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I am thinking of trying but living in contra costs county I may be screwed before I even start

18. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

I started mine and got approved last week. I did the livescan and now I have to get the 16 hours of training in. So all I am waiting for are the DOJ and FBI to Ok me and also take the training so I can get my issuance. Seriously, just to get the appointment on March 22nd I scheduled it back in May. You can keep checking for openings though. Just be relaxed at the interview and be honest. After they found out that I was prior service and friendly we BSed a little on Iraq and just know that they are people too. It is a long and tedious process but one worth it to protect lives.

19. glocknloaded

What county are you in?

20. glocknloaded

What was your reason for ccw?