Glock Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member1
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take the class. Thought maybe it would also help me decide if I should carry. It didn't influence me either way, which is good...but i did learn some good law info. I have to say, it seemed like the bare minimum of instruction that they were required to perform. About 2 hours with a brief range session.

I was expecting to learn more about certain scenarios...but i guess there were a few catch all statements that would apply to multiple situations. I still cannot decide if carrying is for me just because of the amount i would not be able to carry legally. For instance:
At work..and I'm not sure i want to leave the gun in my car.
On base...sometimes i go on base for work and gym...cant even have a gun in the car for that.
Out to eat with girlfriend because i typically enjoy a beer or a glass of wine with my meal.

So that leaves pretty much only running errands...so I'm not sure its worth it. I am going to get the permit, just not sure how much i would carry.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Im sure lots of you cant legally carry in various parts of your routine.

Thanks everyone. Love to hear your feedback.

Ps. I really want to protect myself to and from the work parking lot (bad area) and going out to restaurants at night. Sucks that you cant drink responsibly ( 1 or 2 max) while carrying like you can drive under the limit. In VA you can carry at restaurants that serve alcohol but you cant drink.

·
Happy Member :)
5,227 Posts
In Florida you are allowed to have a drink or two but being plastered drunk is obviously a bad situation. You cannot order a drink at a bar or sit at a bar but you can legally drink with your firearm on you but just remember everyone acts differently when drinking and or drunk so it's all on you. I'm not 100% about how it is in va

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's good you learned the legalities of carrying. However, if the straw that breaks the camel's back is not being able to drink while carrying then I suggest you go with your gut. I am in no way trying to be rude or disrespectful, I just am stating my opinion. The decision to carry a firearm is not something that can be taken lightly. It is a total lifestyle change. You must become more aware of your surroundings (entrances and exits, innocents in line of fire, what is the most probable threat and where will it come from) and a million more. If you can't go to dinner without drinking, then that is fine. But if you carry a weapon you have to assume the liability and responsibility for not only yourself but those around you.

As for not always being able to carry, I understand. I cannot carry at work even though sometimes it would really come in handy (firefighter). I also just got out of college where I could never carry and that was stressful. However my mind had been made up and my lifestyle choices followed. I don't drink, do Amy drugs, or put myself in situations that could warrant losing my license, no matter how minor the offense might seem.

I hope I did not come off as someone on a high horse. I just strongly urge people to think about the situation thoroughly before making the decision to carry. After all the news loves nothing more than a CWP holder that gets caught messing up. Good luck

·
Happy Member :)
5,227 Posts
And also remember your ccw gives you more than just being able to carry, here in Florida you usually have to wait 7 days in the county I live in but with ccw I leave same day with what I want. And I'm also allowed to carry tazers, batons and knives. But check with your state laws.

·
Glocker
416 Posts
Any time to get your ccw is good,zero alcohol in VA when you are carrying, ccw is good to for knives,tasers,batons,and of course your gun. If you can't carry it to a certain place(meaning its unlawful or they have a sign)have it in your car. But when ever you can,I would suggest you do. Oh,and it enables you to carry it in more than half the states in the U.S and you can apply for the rest

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Ps. I really want to protect myself to and from the work parking lot (bad area) and going out to restaurants at night. Sucks that you cant drink responsibly ( 1 or 2 max) while carrying like you can drive under the limit. In VA you can carry at restaurants that serve alcohol but you cant drink.
It really just boils down to this: when you go out to a restaurant, which takes priority, being able to carry a firearm for self-defense, or being able to drink a beer? Only you can answer this question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts