Glock Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Denver, there has been quite the back and forth at the CU Denver Campus in Downtown Denver which also houses the campuses for the Community College of Denver and Metropolitan State University. As a public campus, the law in CO reads that concealed carry is to be allowed, however, up until 2009, CU Denver had banned it on the campus. A few students filed suit and the ruling was overturned and determined that as a public institution, concealed carry is to be allowed on the campus. There is now a professor at CU Denver who has started a petition to once again ban concealed carry for lawful permit holders within the campus areas. Below is a link to the article. I just wanted to see what you all thought of this as I think when he states that it would make the campus safer, he isn't thinking it through quite enough. It seems as though the general consensus is that by disallowing CC in places that it makes it safer. While it could be true to an extent, I feel as though it makes the general population more at risk as there would be less of a chance at protection should something happen. After all, the people who this would try to limit by not allowing CC, wouldn't exactly be following laws anyway. I don't carry my gun on campus, however I do always have my EDC knife on me.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/08/cu_denver_professor_starts_pet.php

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
The professor is a liberal hippie idiot.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Uhm. Wasn't the movie theater a gun-free zone as well? Just clarifying the point. Bad guys don't abide a gun-free zone when it's their intent to commit mass murder - they select such venues as a location to commit their crimes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Gun-free zones do not reduce crime. They only reduce law-abiding citizens' ability for defense. Criminals love gun-free zones because it means their would-be victims are easier to prey upon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not entirely certain as to whether the theatre here was a gun free zone. I frequented that theatre quite often and never did see any no weapons signs or hear from anyone that it was, in fact, a gun free zone. But i completely agree. The argument that implimenting more gun free zones will reduce gun crime is absurd. After all, the ones who the law would try to stop, aren't going to be following the laws anyway. I understand the thought process, to a point. To an uniformed person, as it seems this professor is, it would seem that by not allowing guns in the area, that crime would fall. But, without the ability to protect ourselves, it just makes it easier for the bad guys.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The professor is a liberal hippie idiot.
And you know this how? You know the guy, or just using your telepathic skills? Honestly, this kind of knee-jerk, shoot-from-the-hip, crass name calling just wears me out. So much good, thoughtful, and yes forceful conversation, then this kind of thing.

I come down in favor of allowing carry, but not without some trepidation. I hope somebody armed will take out the crazy before he kills somebody or more somebodies, but the idea of panicked, untrained persons running around with weapons in that kind of situation makes me nervous too. If it happens I want to have my G19 in my hand, but this is not a simple thing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In most states any place the public pays for admittance is a "gun-free-zone". NC is for sure.

I'm not entirely certain as to whether the theatre here was a gun free zone. I frequented that theatre quite often and never did see any no weapons signs or hear from anyone that it was, in fact, a gun free zone. But i completely agree. The argument that implimenting more gun free zones will reduce gun crime is absurd. After all, the ones who the law would try to stop, aren't going to be following the laws anyway. I understand the thought process, to a point. To an uniformed person, as it seems this professor is, it would seem that by not allowing guns in the area, that crime would fall. But, without the ability to protect ourselves, it just makes it easier for the bad guys.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Here in MN students are not allowed to carry on college campuses, any other person that has a PTC is allowed to carry on college campuses. Tell me how that makes any sense. If you allow someone that has a PTC to carry on campus why does it matter if I am a student with a PTC?
It seems that every week the director of public safety sends out an e-mail about some student getting robbed at knife point, or patrons of local businesses around campus becoming a victim of crime. He tells us that we should call the police....... I'll make sure that I tell the criminal to hold on because I get to call the police before they do anything crazy or harmful to me; I'm sure they will understand.........

·
Registered
136 Posts
dutchs said:
Welcome to the forum Brown! Enjoy!
Thank you, not a Glock owner yet, but I'm trying to decide on which model to purchase.
Figured I'd come to a forum of owners to get some first hand knowledge and intel.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm sure most would ask: what would it be used for? ( home, personal defense, sport?) Would it be for open or concealed carry? (full or compact size?)
I have a G23 gen 4, that fits me like a glove......there's a host of YouTube videos and reviews out there....just make sure they are current. Good Luck !

·
Registered
136 Posts
CCW only, I have a few 1911's for home defense.
I've been through almost every YouTube video on the web, lol. It's a big deal to me and I want to be very thorough with my research.
Alas, the more research I do the more I come to realize that I may want/need more than one CCW.

reagan said:
I'm sure most would ask: what would it be used for? ( home, personal defense, sport?) Would it be for open or concealed carry? (full or compact size?)
I have a G23 gen 4, that fits me like a glove......there's a host of YouTube videos and reviews out there....just make sure they are current. Good Luck !

·
Registered
656 Posts
And you know this how? You know the guy, or just using your telepathic skills? Honestly, this kind of knee-jerk, shoot-from-the-hip, crass name calling just wears me out. So much good, thoughtful, and yes forceful conversation, then this kind of thing.
Argyle might have said it in a gentler way but I don't disagree. Of the 120+/- Professors at the College of Business I only know of 2 pro-gunners. 1 is my Wife. In Kentucky, the law leaves it up to the University which means there is no concealed carry in campus buildings. The other pro-gunner I know has been pushing to allow Faculty to CC with additional Police training but I doubt that will ever gain any traction in that environment. Acadamianuts are a different breed. Always reminds me of that "rose-colored glasses song". I personally don't like it but have had to live with it for the last 11 yrs. Through the VT incident and all. My Wife's position can involve hiring, firing, and ocassionally meeting with a disgruntled student. She will not violate policy so she keeps a baseball bat behind her door. I have armed her with non-lethal options as well. Kimber pepper blaster in her drawer, Uzi pen with strike bezel, and a Surefire E2DL with strike bezels in her purse. May not stop a threat but might at least give her a chance to get away she might not have otherwise. "Gun Free Zones" are a crock. Reminds me too much of a pay lake for fishing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ROYALE-W-CHEESE said:
Gun-free zones do not reduce crime. They only reduce law-abiding citizens' ability for defense. Criminals love gun-free zones because it means their would-be victims are easier to prey upon.
AMEN brother. Could not have said it better

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now before I say this, I want to clarify there are ALWAYS exceptions, but generally, an individual who has a CCW got one because they are exercising their rights. That said, these people are law abiding citizens, and therefore should not have restrictions on where to carry. As said before, these off limit places are where criminals are going to commit their mass murder. With the restricted places to carry, we are all now defenseless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts