CB/HAM Radio in Case of Apocalypse***

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Evolution, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Evolution

Evolution New Member

Hi guys just wanted to put this out there.
    In case of a major disaster i'll be on CB radio channel 15-20. Code name Evo-88. Location FL.
    ;-)

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Very cool!! My grandpa was WA8TBY, Ohio!! God rest him. Built all his own Heathkit Equipment!

3. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been interested in getting a ham radio or cb set up for my home. It is a bit bewildering to the beginner. What would be a decent quality /decent price cb starter unit?

4. Chukar

Chukar New Member

Timely, I'd be interested as well to hear about this?

5. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I hear if you do some of your own setup. Under $500.00 the big thing is a nice Antenna. I am not an owner though. Check this out

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/hvmhistory.shtml

6. Hurricane460

Hurricane460 Glock Doc..

This is a basic set up and prices can vary depending on mods done to the radio etc. Also it does not include a price on a Amplifier to match to the radio. Generally you can pay about a dollar a watt for more power output.
    Cobra 29ltd classic CB Radio - $120
    Antron 99 antenna - $59
    Coax - Depending on the height of the antenna plan on between .50 to $1.00 a foot
    25 amp power supply - new or used between $150 - $300+

HAM Radio
    GET A LICENSE! That is the first and most important thing.
    A decent 2 meter 440mhz either HT or mobile unit for home use. Prices may vary on both these items but a Yaesu radio is a great starter/general use radio. For home use I have a Yaesu 2 meter 440mhz mobile radio hooked to a 25 amp power supply, Diamond Omni directional antenna and about 100 foot of coax. I can talk on all the local repeaters and also simplex.

ECHO LINK
    Computer program allowing you the LICENSED HAM OPERATOR to connect to any repeater system around the world.

Hope this helps..

7. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

People are really getting into the zombie thing these days lol

8. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it would be fun. IF there ever was just a natural disaster or civil unrest I think it could be life saver. Also grew up in the 70's and CBs were the rage back then.my step dad was big into having them in the car.

9. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Ham radio operators have been helping behind the scenes in EVERY natural disaster in this country for 100 years or more!! They are a great asset to this country! and others!!