Glock Forum banner

Caution: Hoppes users

19K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  sgtcowboyusmc 
#1 ·
I used Hoppe's No 9 in a pinch to clean some nastyness off my G19. Thought i wiped it down really well. Long story short I have a BAD rash/bumps right where the 19 is carried on my body. At look at their MDS says:

Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause skin irritation. Repeated contact may cause drying or flaking
of skin. May cause more severe response if confined to ski
CLP never did this to me, I'll never use something else again even in a pinch.

#5 ·
You guys dont even know how bad it has gotten. It turned into painful blister type bumps and painful red skin that looks like bruised road rash. It has spread to the other side and my legs. It itches constantly and burns at the touch. The doctors are still trying to figure out how to stop it.

I destroyed the stuff and stopped carrying my gun (despite its insane cleaning) about a week ago.

Seriously sucks.

#7 ·
You guys dont even know how bad it has gotten. It turned into painful blister type bumps and painful red skin that looks like bruised road rash. It has spread to the other side and my legs. It itches constantly and burns at the touch. The doctors are still trying to figure out how to stop it.

I destroyed the stuff and stopped carrying my gun (despite its insane cleaning) about a week ago.

Seriously sucks.
You should shower more often

- kidding

Although I have never had a reaction on the many weapons using Hoppes, I only use it for the bore and other metal parts as required. Sounds like you used it on your frame?

That reaction sounds serious. You sure it couldn't be anything else?

#8 ·
I used Hoppe's No 9 in a pinch to clean some nastyness off my G19. Thought i wiped it down really well. Long story short I have a BAD rash/bumps right where the 19 is carried on my body.
I use Frog Lube for Cleaning Lub Protection, I find it to be a great product, has a pleasant mint smell..... environmentally friendly.....can use it for rough hands and even chapped lips in a pinch. Hoppe's is a very harsh chemical.

#9 ·
kodiak said:
You should shower more often

- kidding

Although I have never had a reaction on the many weapons using Hoppes, I only use it for the bore and other metal parts as required. Sounds like you used it on your frame?

That reaction sounds serious. You sure it couldn't be anything else?
According to the allergy tests and things the doctors have ruled out pretty much everytbing else. This is the only new factor so it has to be the cause.

I used it on the whole gun because I was out of CLP and so was the store. Never again.

#14 ·
Its the general shape of the 19
used Hoppe's on the frame as well?

Just one more vote in favor of ultrasonics, as far as I'm concerned. When done, all you need worry about is lubrication.

Sorry about your nastiness, Nukinfuts29. Can I recommend trying Medline "Remedy" medicated skin cleansing lotion? It contains Dimethicone 1.5% (a silicone derivative), and among many other things it soothes sensitive, damaged skin. Available only (as far as I know) at the medical supply stores, not your local Walmart.

'Luck to ya, buddy!

#15 ·
thanks for the heads up man

#16 ·
Skin cultures conclusively came back as a direct result of skin contact with Hoppes No 9. Hoppe's offered me a free bottle of No. 9 for my troubles. I replied back (I originally contacted them just to say hey, this is a real issue) asking for a gift card so I could buy CLP.

used Hoppe's on the frame as well?

Just one more vote in favor of ultrasonics, as far as I'm concerned. When done, all you need worry about is lubrication.

Sorry about your nastiness, Nukinfuts29. Can I recommend trying Medline "Remedy" medicated skin cleansing lotion? It contains Dimethicone 1.5% (a silicone derivative), and among many other things it soothes sensitive, damaged skin. Available only (as far as I know) at the medical supply stores, not your local Walmart.

'Luck to ya, buddy!
I only used it on the slide, but I guess it spread even after being cleaned and put back on the gun. I honestly had to soap and water my completely dismantled gun about 8 times before it cleaned it all off.

The winning remedy ended up being plain old Jergens lotion. It has finally gone away, aside from some dry skin. Heading in the right direction at least.

#17 · (Edited)
Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent should not be used to wipe down your gun at the finish of a cleaning... it is a cleaner, not a conditioner... You should have used a lubricating or conditioning oil like the hoppes lubricating oil, rem oil, or CLP on the outside frame... use the Hoppes #9 for the barrel and slide in areas that have fouling, then thoroughly wipe it clean then use the lubricating oil on the outside frame and slide if need be... Not to crash your party here but you should cut your losses and take the free bottle of Hoppes #9, they won't offer you much more because you used their product wrong and they know it but are trying to appeal to keep you somewhat happy... Not trying to sound negative here but you're trying to get people to stop using a product that even you can't use correctly... Good luck on future shooting and cleaning and I'm sorry for the reaction that happened but let's be smart about it, it's a corrosive solvent... Key word there is CORROSIVE

#19 ·
Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent should not be used to wipe down your gun at the finish of a cleaning... it is a cleaner, not a conditioner... You should have used a lubricating or conditioning oil like the hoppes lubricating oil, rem oil, or CLP on the outside frame... use the Hoppes #9 for the barrel and slide in areas that have fouling, then thoroughly wipe it clean then use the lubricating oil on the outside frame and slide if need be... Not to crash your party here but you should cut your losses and take the free bottle of Hoppes #9, they won't offer you much more because you used their product wrong and they know it but are trying to appeal to keep you somewhat happy... Not trying to sound negative here but you're trying to get people to stop using a product that even you can't use correctly... Good luck on future shooting and cleaning and I'm sorry for the reaction that happened but let's be smart about it, it's a corrosive solvent... Key word there is CORROSIVE
I was used to remove surface rust from rolling around in my trunk, and the gun was cleaned with soap and water.It's not like I coated it in the stuff, I didn't have too. I did not use anything wrong.

#22 · (Edited)
nukinfuts29 said:
I was used to remove surface rust from rolling around in my trunk, and the gun was cleaned with soap and water.It's not like I coated it in the stuff, I didn't have too. I did not use anything wrong.
I get what you're saying but there shouldn't be any residue or residual left over for it to transfer to your skin if you cleaned it with soap and water but anything is possible and it might be that the hoppes could resist water and soap from removing it, idk I'm not a chemist lol... I wear medical gloves when I use it to clean my guns to avoid any skin irritations like what you had happen as it is quite corrosive... I wouldn't want you to quit using a product that is still effective at cleaning the guns but it's your choice and I respect if you decide to use a different cleaner... I only use the hoppes #9 when the gun is really bad, other wise I use the breakfree CLP which is reliable and I recently received a couple cans of Ballistol to try out which I have heard great reviews... Have you thought about wearing a thin undershirt to put a barrier between your skin and the gun? Just a suggestion to help you out... Let me know how you make out, I'm def interested in this irritation to the skin and I am involved in the medical field so it has peaked my interest a bit... I apologize if I came off a bit rough in my first post, I'm just trying to offer insight on why this had happened and to help you and others prevent it from happening again... Good luck and I do hope this allergic reaction doesn't discourage you and that you do continue to carry

#24 ·
nukinfuts29 said:
According to Hoppes soap and water wont take it off.
I'm curious if a bit of rubbing alcohol would help take the Hoppes #9 residue off after cleaning the gun, I sometimes wipe down my frames and slides with alcohol prep pads that you can buy at the local pharmacy... Works good for removing finger oils and finger prints so I imagine it might help to remove Hoppes #9 residue too, then after it lightly go over the gun with rem oil or whatever you prefer as a conditioning/lubricant/protectant oil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.