Glock Forum banner

Carrying

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Happysniper1 
#1 ·
I've seen and heard of businesses posting no firearm rules, if they do so does that make it illegal to carry on there premisea?

#2 ·
Depends on the state, if it's in Arizona on private property then the worst that will happen is you'll get trespassed. Most likely just get asked to leave. If its a prohibited area like a nuclear facility or a courthouse, then you'll be in a heap of trouble...

#5 ·
I use iCHL on my iPhone. In colorado privately owned property and business can make it prohibited. But like in the case of the Zoo, their posted sign is meaningless. Their written policy states that they have no choice but to allow it. Oddly enough I only see no carry signs at gun ranges here. The range I shoot at allows concealed carry but not open, the range i no longer go to doesn't allow any carry.

And to be honest that doesn't bother me as much. The place I shoot at is all Special ops guys. I'd rather them defending me if SHTF in their store, than some guy who just bought a .40 Ruger and doesn't know how to even load it stepping in and shooting the wrong people or escalating it to shooting. The other place I don't go to anymore is in the middle of one of the worst gang areas. Its bad when you feel like you need to be armed to go to the gun store lol.

#7 · (Edited)
To add to the general fund of knowledge:

In Nevada (open-carry state), you cannot carry concealed without a CCW permit. The permit allows you to ignore any posted NO GUN signs on private property (business and such), and if it is discovered that you are packing heat (not likely, since it is concealed, eh?), they can ask you to leave the premises. If you *meaning the gun owner, not you personally* refuse, they can call the police and you will be charged with trespassing. If you physically resist the property owner's attempts to leave, you can also be charged with criminal mischief. Both Simple Trespass and Criminal Mischief are misdemeanors, and in NV all misdemeanors are arrestible offenses. Plus, you can be "86d" (pronounced as "eightysixed") meaning permanently banned from the premises. This carries the same weight as a restraining order, violation of which is Criminal Trespass. OC into an establishment with posted NO GUN signs will certainly result in being asked to leave, and if refused, one can get dinged with Simple Trespass and Inciting Public Panic for starters.

It is my understanding (from a fellow FA instructor who maintains a residence in Arizona and was at one time an AZ Trooper) that PREVIOUSLY, one cannot carry OC or CC into any establishment that serves alcohol as 50% or more of their revenue (i.e., bars and nightclubs). This law changed. Currently, as far as my "expert" tells me, you can CC in Arizona (AZ being a constitutional carry state) into bars and nightclubs and any other establishment on private property as long as there are no posted NO GUN signs. If there is a posted sign, one is required by law to comply and not have a gun in the establishment, violation of which would result in trespassing charges with weapons enhancement. So in AZ, NO GUN signs on private property have force of law (unlike in NV).

I am also informed that in AZ there is a zero-tolerance alcohol limit when carrying concealed, meaning absolutely stone cold sober when carrying. In NV, it is 0.08%BAC.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Yes. All states allow for a premise (business or private) to post a very specific sign that has to be posted it in a very obvious location. If the sign meets state laws (size, font, color, explicit wording), then it is illegal for you to carry.

Each state has its own laws.
This is just not true. It absolutely depends on the law in the state you are in as to whether these signs carry the force of law or not.

In Missouri, you can choose to disregard these signs and it's not a criminal offense. I recommend always choosing another business (if possible) so you can avoid spending your money at a place that doesn't recognize your rights.

#10 ·
Arizona...
10. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering any public establishment or attending any public event and carrying a deadly weapon on his person after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the sponsor's agent to remove his weapon and place it in the custody of the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event for temporary and secure storage of the weapon pursuant to section 13-3102.01;

Misconduct involving weapons under subsection A, paragraph 1, subdivision (b) of this section or subsection A, paragraph 10 or 11 of this section is a class 1 misdemeanor.

2. "Public establishment" means a structure, vehicle or craft that is owned, leased or operated by this state or a political subdivision of this state.
3. "Public event" means a specifically named or sponsored event of limited duration that is either conducted by a public entity or conducted by a private entity with a permit or license granted by a public entity. Public event does not include an unsponsored gathering of people in a public place.

#11 ·
armedmissouri said:
This is just not true. It absolutely depends on the law in the state you are in as to whether these signs carry the force of law or not./QUOTE]

Dude chill out, 'just not true' comes across very aggressive. So I missed on state, sorry!

Allow me to correct myself, "MOST states".

Besides, all states do allow business to refuse service to anybody they want, and if you come onto their property and they tell you to leave, you risk a trespassing charge if you don't bail root sweet.

As far as that goes, you can simply leave your gun in your car, because there is obviously something you need at that store, or you can drive around trying to find another store that sells the same product who doesn't wish to protect their establishment from a false report of MWG and the likely emptying of all customers that will happen in that case.

You have to ask yourself: convenience or 'constitutional rights', and how paranoid you are about your odds of getting involved in a robbery.

And before anybody says 'better to have and not need, then need and not have', how many times in your life, and the lives of everyone you know, was it ever needed?

I'm 35, was in the Navy where I boarded ships in the gulf, and in all my life and the lives of all my close friends (who were not in actual combat) and family, there has never been an actual need.

5 minutes in and out of a store, you have to evaluate the probabilities. I think it's worth just leaving it, the odds of my car getting broken into are pretty low too!

Unless it's a ghetto/high crime neighborhood, then why are you shopping there anyways.

#12 ·
Two words... Chill pill.

All valid points, some people have different opinions, that is acknowledged.

Living in Phoenix, and having vehicles stolen, broken into, and robbed from. I would never leave my weapon in my car. Just my experiences. I do a lot of shopping online anyway. Yes the odds are low, severely low. But the fact of the matter is they happen RANDOMLY. And yes I have had to present my weapon before in defense of my life and home. I have had many friends get shot at on the road and one even that used his gun in self defense and killed a man. The threat is real and I treat is as such.

#13 ·
armedmissouri said:
And before anybody says 'better to have and not need, then need and not have', how many times in your life, and the lives of everyone you know, was it ever needed?
How many times does it take?

I carry all the time in case I need it once in my life. If I have it that one time, then the rest of the time was worth it.

#14 ·
#18 ·
Glock23-AZ said:
What are your thoughts on keeping a gun locked in the car during work? My work doesn't allow me to carry weapons in the building but I want to have the gun close to me as possible.
If you're not comfortable with it concealed in the passenger compartment, lock it up in the trunk (assuming you have a trunk). I've never experienced a car break in where the trunk was searched: they're usually after something in plain sight.

My work used to not-allow guns even in the parking lot, but god bless Texas, a law was passed that removed the liability from the property owner and now I can keep my gun in my car as long as its concealed: still no firearms in the building. Even our lame security officers don't have guns, just a radio that goes to a dispatch that can call the police.

#19 ·
PettyOfficer said:
If you're not comfortable with it concealed in the passenger compartment, lock it up in the trunk (assuming you have a trunk). I've never experienced a car break in where the trunk was searched: they're usually after something in plain sight.

My work used to not-allow guns even in the parking lot, but god bless Texas, a law was passed that removed the liability from the property owner and now I can keep my gun in my car as long as its concealed: still no firearms in the building. Even our lame security officers don't have guns, just a radio that goes to a dispatch that can call the police.
Ya in AZ we can have it concealed in a parking lot. I plan on keeping it locked in my glove box, thank you for your advice.

#20 ·
What are your thoughts on keeping a gun locked in the car during work? My work doesn't allow me to carry weapons in the building but I want to have the gun close to me as possible.
If you must leave a gun in your vehicle, it should be unloaded and locked up somehow. I prefer this device or a similar product.

The ammunition should be locked up somewhere else in the vehicle or taken with you. You don't want someone to steal your gun but you definitely don't want someone to steal your loaded gun.

Fortunately, here in MO, carrying at your place of employment can't be a crime (unless you work for the federal governement or a school). One can choose to carry at work despite their employers policy and can only be fired if their employer finds out.

#22 ·
In south africa if your license states self defene you can OC, i dont recommend that lets face it criminals will do anything for a free gun
That is absolutely right, Lxlate, even in the US. Let's face it, when you OC, and there is a bad guy around who is hungry enough for it, in his eyes he does not see you the person, he sees a gun on somebody. Just the way it is...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.